BWAHAHAHAHA

HoosierCat

Man I must not be following football like I used to, who the hell is Logan Ryan??? When did he become a great CB, I never even heard his name last year? 

Also so what's the point is spending all these 1st round draft picks on CB if they are going to just let them walk, and spend big money on one? That makes no sense. 

In the mean time they will neglect a horrible o-line and get Dalton killed back there. This is why it's getting hard to root for this team, because they just don't seem to get it.

So they want to pursue a guy rated in the top 3 of his position in free agency when you have spend many 1st round picks on that position ??
However, they won't pay what will probably be something similar on the guy THEY actually drafted in the 1st round who is the top of his position in free agency.

Someone remind me again about the philosophy of this team ??
Wasn't it draft your guy that fits, develop him, and keep him ??

This is just unreal to me.
Yeah, who the hell is Logan Ryan ??
Why am I thinking he was a QB from Virginia Tech ??

EDIT: OH, that was Logan Thomas...

Logan Ryan would be a solid pick up.   That's why it won't happen, lol.    

I'm confused why this being jeered.     He's like 9th in Ints since being drafted and earned his starting time with the Patriots.

He's also been a PFF darling. 

For all these reasons,  I doubt it happens.   IF it does it's good signing by the Bengals.

Probably a better CB than Dre at this point although Dre isn't bad by any stretch.

While I like the RB's near the top of the draft rankings, I don't like them SOOOOO much more than a back that can be had near the top of the 2nd.
Even in the 2nd (as I mentioned) what do we think any RB will do behind this abortion of an O-line ??
I think the front 7 need to be improved in two specific areas before we add a player that I wouldn't anticipate having a massive impact at all.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So they want to pursue a guy rated in the top 3 of his position in free agency when you have spend many 1st round picks on that position ??
However, they won't pay what will probably be something similar on the guy THEY actually drafted in the 1st round who is the top of his position in free agency.

Someone remind me again about the philosophy of this team ??
Wasn't it draft your guy that fits, develop him, and keep him ??

This is just unreal to me.
Yeah, who the hell is Logan Ryan ??
Why am I thinking he was a QB from Virginia Tech ??

EDIT: OH, that was Logan Thomas...

Pay big money on a second contract?  Mike's just much more likely to do it for corner than he is for guard.  I'm not saying it's right or endorsing it.

27 minutes ago, COB said:

Pay big money on a second contract?  Mike's just much more likely to do it for corner than he is for guard.  I'm not saying it's right or endorsing it.

If we are expected to believe the philosophy the team has spewed many times during the Marvin Lewis era, it's not right.
They call it "improving the roster" at one spot, but insist they can't do that at all positions.
How much do they value Andy Dalton being able to walk after a couple of weeks into the season ??

Someone remind me again how many times he was sacked last year ??

EDIT:  I went to look it up.  That would be 41 times.  2nd worst in the league by 1.
But hey, lets go ahead and weaken the line and expect better results.
What's the over/under on how many games before Dalton is on IR ??

54 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

While I like the RB's near the top of the draft rankings, I don't like them SOOOOO much more than a back that can be had near the top of the 2nd.
Even in the 2nd (as I mentioned) what do we think any RB will do behind this abortion of an O-line ??
I think the front 7 need to be improved in two specific areas before we add a player that I wouldn't anticipate having a massive impact at all.

I've been biased towards Offensive skill player ever since it became apparent the Bengals would be picking top 10.

Fournette has been the top of that list.    Please don't take this as NFL success prediction because everyone knows anyone can bust.

As far as draft prospects are concerned.   He is a better prospect than AJ Green (which is crazy to think about).    He's had every SEC school scouting him since he was an 8th grader his offer sheet is unreal.  He was considered the Number 1 recruit.  

He fulfilled that potential in College and he probably is going to cement himself as a top 5 player this weekend.

IF he lands at 9.   Don't look back.

Again, anybody and anything can bust but you'd be hard pressed to find a better prospect in a decade of drafts. 

The difference for me really is in the play of the o-line.
While I love Zeke Elliott for the Cowboys.  LOVE that dude.
How much of what he accomplished had to do with that massive o-line ??
It's certainly debatable, but he certainly wasn't hampered by them.
Here ??  Not quite the same situation.

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

The difference for me really is in the play of the o-line.
While I love Zeke Elliott for the Cowboys.  LOVE that dude.
How much of what he accomplished had to do with that massive o-line ??
It's certainly debatable, but he certainly wasn't hampered by them.
Here ??  Not quite the same situation.

Cowboys o-line is awesome.  They had a lot to do with it.   Bengals offensive line is in flux or dumpster fire status currently.   It's going to be that way until we see them actually play and redeem themselves.

However, don't talk ourselves out of the merits of adding a Franchise talent.   The Bengals did put up rushing numbers in the top half of the league.  Rex Burkhead did improve his FA status running behind that line.

Jeremy Hill excels at certain types of runs and really struggles with zone/read concept.  Rex/Gio didn't.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Logan Ryan would be a solid pick up.   That's why it won't happen, lol.    

I'm confused why this being jeered.     

Your third sentence is answered by the second. I'm jeering the idea this would ever happen, not the idea itself. The Bengals don't play at that level of FA except for their own guys (sometimes).

I don't mean to be a downer, or a party pooper but it really doesn't matter who we draft or who we sign in Free agency. We have the same coaching staff which means we won't use players wisely.Our play calling that is predictable to novice fans will be the same, a lack of discipline will remain an issue, three and outs will still be a trend, missed and poor tackling will remain an issue, defensive coverage will be soft as usual, and the hits will keep rolling on. Our roster will look great on paper, our hopes will be boosted, players will call fans asking them to buy tickets and come to games. We'll win a game here and there, then the season will be lost. Marvin will get an extension because we showed a glimpse of improvement at the end of the season and the cycle will continue. Don't get me wrong, I love my Bengals, my home office is painted in black and orange, my new truck is orange, my wife's mustang is orange, my Honda CBR is black and orange, and so on. But year after year, we get our hopes up, then they come crashing down... 

7 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Especiaapprisedill excels at certain type s of runs and really strugglesBernard zone/read concept.  Rex/Gio didn't.  

I feel defenses tended to stack the box more with Jeremy in the game vs how they lined up with Gio or Rex. The odds its a running play are good.  

A couple guys that have not been projected top 10 picks but rather mid/ate first round picks that could rise to top 10 after this weekend:

Garett Bolles - Utah offensive tackle.  Confirmed his athlete status this weekend

John Ross - WR Washington.  

Names to keep an eye on.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

My evil self wants this to happen just to watch the fanbase explode.

I can't see them taking Bolles, or any OT for that matter at 9, as it'd be an admission that ogbuehi was a miss, and I doubt they would admit that. 

Ideally, I'd like them to get Thomas at 9. 

21 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

I can't see them taking Bolles, or any OT for that matter at 9, as it'd be an admission that ogbuehi was a miss, and I doubt they would admit that. 

Ideally, I'd like them to get Thomas at 9. 

Would be nice but it seems more and more likely he'll be gone. Re OT, I agree that they are unlikely to give up on Ced quite so quickly. But traditionally the Bengals have placed the highest value on CB, DE, OT, WR and QB in the first round, and especially when sitting up this high. Yes, you can find examples like Keith Rivers when they went elese where but generally speaking those are the spots they like to draft early (and the ones they are most likely to pay big $ to on a second deal, unlike, say, Zeitler).

They aren't taking a QB and it sounds like they're looking at CB in FA. So that leaves OT, DE and WR. I think tackle is the third choice* of those three, but if the top couple DEs and WRs are gone by 9 (very possible), it's a deep draft for receivers and pass rushers and very slim pickings at tackle.**

(* assumes Whit stays. If he goes, OT might move to first choice!)

(** also a very deep draft at RB which is why I think Fournette talk is smoke. As much as I'd like it to be real IMO they are trying to push a DE or WR down.)

Under my crazed theory there is still room for a high draft pick investment at Offensive tackle.    Fisher could be the fit at RG fill void of KZ.    IF that's the case RT still needs fixed because Ooogie unfortunately is a miss at this point. 

My hope a tackle rises to #9 or pushes some prospects down to #41.