Roster Situation (2017)

HoosierCat

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa, how did I miss the dick cake promoting weed ??
That's just some funny shit right there.

In regards to Eifert, I just got another box of "Tyler's Touchdown Crunch" and opened it up to see the surprise inside.
I hit the big time with what appears to be one of the collector "Bonus Boxes".

Inside was an autographed ace wrap, a Ziploc bag to put ice in, and what appears to be bone fragments from his recent back surgery.

SCORE !!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Hey, member that Hobson piece about how Eifert was going to be good to go for camp? (If not scroll up like 3 posts) Well...

Iffy. In one week we went from good to go to iffy. At this rate he'll be on IR by July.

Unbelievable.  Wait, very believable.  

They may as well draft Howard at 9 this year or get a TE in next year's draft.  Eifert is pretty dang good but only during 58% of the games. When is this guy ever going to even be able to practice normally?  Much less play in GASP more than 8 games a season?

This story has been corrected. Read below.

CINCINNATI -- Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert said his back "feels great" after offseason surgery.

He said he doesn't know at what point he will be able to participate fully in offseason activities, but he thinks he will be ready by training camp.

Eifert missed the entire 2016 offseason, and the first six games, after recovering from an ankle injury in the Pro Bowl. Eifert had a setback early in the season after injuring his back but was able to play through it for eight games. He went on IR for the final two games of the season to have surgery on his back.

Eifert said he just began running again a few weeks ago, and feels close to 100 percent. However, he still has strength issues to work through.

"I'm still doing my rehab and my core stuff, just started doing some change-of-direction stuff so I'm just taking it one step at a time," he said.

He added: "I've still lost a lot of strength with the nerve issues and all of that stuff. Just working through some of that. Once I get my strength back I'll be fine."

Eifert said there will also be certain limitations for the rest of his career due to the nature of his injury, such as doing squats when weight lifting.

"I've worked through a back (issue) before and you just find ways to get the same benefits from different lifts or different ways to work out. You just have to work around it, which is fine. I've done that before," he said.

Eifert, 26, has missed 27 games in his career due to injury. He has played in 37 games for the Bengals with 123 receptions for 1,491 yards and 20 touchdowns. Eifert is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

An April 17 story incorrectly indicated that Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert was unsure of his status for training camp in 2017. In fact, he said he thinks he will be ready for the start of camp. 

?>

They kept it pretty quiet, but if I recall correctly he had a disc removed and the two adjoining vertebrae had to be fused together.  That is a significant surgery and different individuals respond/recover differently.  

It certainly won't improve his play any.  And he certainly won't be more durable than before.  

Finally, I'm a bit perplexed by the positive nature of that article.  Eifert had fusion surgery at the end of the season, and he just recently began runnng again.  That is a long, long, time for an NFL skill guy to go without running.  But he says he feels "great" and "close to 100%."  Must be the power of positive thinking!

• Like 1

So wait...an attempt at damage control over the shift from "good to go" for camp pushed by chief flack Hobson to "iffy" from a news outlet results in news coming out that he will be permanently impacted by his injuries for the rest of his career? Well gee, that just makes me feel loads better (insert rolling eyes here).

Re Howard, yeah, you have to think he's now a legit possibility. It's a deep draft for TE tho so even if they don't pull the trigger at 9 expect one or more to get grabbed.

6 hours ago, GapControl said:

I don't think at this point you drop big money to sign this guy long term. Any believers left out there?

No.

I would guess that the chances anything gets done in the short term for Eifert are zero, unless Tyler is willing to take some sort of incentive-heavy deal that only pays him top dollar if he's healthy and produces. To be clear, I think that's the only kind of deal that the Bengals or any other team will offer him come 2018, but for just that reason I don't think he'll be in a hurry to accept.

He's the Brandon Ghee of TE's .......concentrate on giving Uzomah play time and put Eifert in a window frame 

Taking a TE would make 4 on the roster, because they aren't cutting any of either Eifert, Kroft, or Uzomah.
Have to hope the guy makes it to the practice squad without getting pilfered.
Maybe a late round guy that won't really impact in case of an injury ??

Yeah, Howard is a big possibility or nothing at all.

• 2 weeks later...