Pacman Arrested UPDATE Now with Video

HoosierCat

The Redeemer Speaks (tl;dr Pacman isn't going to be cut).

PHOENIX – The case of Adam Jones arrest in January carried as a cloud over the Bengals' offseason. For the first time publicly, Cincinnati owner Mike Brown spoke his opinion on the topic in a sitdown with The Enquirer and Bengals.com at the owners' meetings inside the Arizona Biltmore Hotel.

Brown offered an impassioned plea for the 33-year-old cornerback who recently saw felony charges dropped by Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters. Three misdemeanor charges well as any potential discipline from the league are still yet to play out.

Jones has been with the Bengals since the 2010 season and here is the full speech of what Brown had to say in pledging support for the corner going forward.

"I see Adam Jones through my own eyes. I see different facets of his personality. I see him as a person who is energetic, lively, positive for the most part, exceptionally so. I know a little bit about his family, that weighs in my mind. I think back to when he had his little daughter and she was a premie. He used to drive up from practices at Georgetown every day after practice to look through the glass and see her where they kept the premie babies in the hospital and the lights went out, one after another in that group of little babies, they disappeared. His little girl managed to survive. Now she has grown into a 5-year-old little girl. Wonderful little girl. Very pretty, very attractive, very energetic. To me, that is a story that registers. I would say this point blank: Am I looking to harm her? I’m not. It’s a bigger picture than one incident. And I get to be the one that sits in the chair to decide that. So I have chosen to decide it the way I am deciding it. I’m going to give him a chance. I hope it comes out right for him, for his family and for us. I know there are critics. I understand. But that is a full answer. And that’s what I have to say about it."

He continued further after a follow-up question about how the team has said they will let the situation play out, but he seems to have come to a decision.

"It’s playing out. The prosecutor is dropping the felony charge. In effect, he said there is not enough there to proceed on that charge. You are down now to a few misdemeanor charges. The country prosecutor Joe Deters commented on how he would handle those if he were the one handling them. In effect, he said they didn’t amount to enough to pursue. You are dealing with people’s lives here. It’s easy to sit on high and say, oh, terrible, terrible. Let’s bring down the sword. I think that’s an overreaction. I’m not condoning his actions. They were in all honestly embarrassing. He was out of control. He misbehaved. He made a fool of himself. No one knows that more than he does. I don’t know that I have been perfect in my lifetime, either. I probably did some things I wish I hadn’t. Most people would probably have to admit to that. He didn’t hurt anybody physically. He just hurt himself by how he comported himself. In some ways, that’s punishment enough right there. You have to live with that. What the municipal prosecutor does, that hasn’t been determined. What the league does, that hasn’t been determined. So when I say ‘play out’ there are more shoes to drop. We’ll see what comes of it. But I hope it ends up that he gets his life back and he has openly apologized. He knows full well what he has done to himself. He regrets it. But it’s been made into a public issue and maybe I am overly tolerant. If so, so be it.

Because God knows Adam has never really been given a chance to improve himself as a person.
Thankfully Mike Brown is going to give him that single opportunity.

Wait...  What ??  Oh.
Never mind.

Has no one Mike Brown fired had kids before ??
Interesting take.  Yes, overly tolerant indeed.

To bad we couldn't hold on to Whitworth.
I don't know where some of that money could have come from.

Awful just awful! How many chances does this guy need to finally get it!

This guy told somebody he hopes they die, yea what a great guy to have on this team, drunk or not this guy is stupid!

Im all about giving guys chances, but when is enough enough. What a sorry sack for an organization! 

Why not draft another CB to sit on the bench, maybe the next time Adam decides to get drunk, it will give the next CB some playing time!

Man, Mike is soft-hearted.  Also, when he says he sees Adam Jones through "my own eyes", then goes on to talk about Jones' premie daughter, etc., what Mike is saying is, "I still make the personnel decisions, and I base them on whatever I want, not necessarily football reasons."

The Bengals are Mike's family business to do with as he pleases.  Adam Jones cost us a playoff game against the fucking Steelers, but Mike thinks he's a doting dad so get fucked Bengal fandom, he stays.  Pretty enlightening, and sheds light on broken-down Leon Hall getting his 10 million bucks, it sheds light on Peko's long tenure, it just plain confirms what we've all known.  Mike's running this shit, and the team we are all rooting for is shaped by the philanthropic leanings of a very old man, not the cold hard football realities that shape most teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, COB said:

Man, Mike is soft-hearted.  Also, when he says he sees Adam Jones through "my own eyes", then goes on to talk about Jones' premie daughter, etc., what Mike is saying is, "I still make the personnel decisions, and I base them on whatever I want, not necessarily football reasons."

The Bengals are Mike's family business to do with as he pleases.  Adam Jones cost us a playoff game against the fucking Steelers, but Mike thinks he's a doting dad so get fucked Bengal fandom, he stays.  Pretty enlightening, and sheds light on broken-down Leon Hall getting his 10 million bucks, it sheds light on Peko's long tenure, it just plain confirms what we've all known.  Mike's running this shit, and the team we are all rooting for is shaped by the philanthropic leanings of a very old man, not the cold hard football realities that shape most teams.

Don't forget Marvin and Alexander - stay as long as you'd like boys!  You're like family! Keep selling tickets!

Love the "people's lives" comment by Brown - He's been arrested over 8 times now, is set for life financially (or should be), spare me the pity.  The guy's a piece of crap, played like it also last season, and cost them their first playoff win in over 20 years.  Screw him, I have no interest in rooting for him any longer, he's an idiot.

All NFL teams select from the same pool of players.   The pool as been proven to be tainted with bad characters that can be BAD and still be good football players.

As a NFL owner, GM or whatever you are basically waiting for your turn to be on the hot seat when one of your players messes up.  

Mike Brown is just giving the middle finger to the recent public pressure to cut Jones despite the felony charge being dropped.   Let the NFL act first.  

There's no sense in helping another team fix it's secondary problem by putting him on the market at what would be an extremely cheap rate.

7 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

All NFL teams select from the same pool of players.   The pool as been proven to be tainted with bad characters that can be BAD and still be good football players.

As a NFL owner, GM or whatever you are basically waiting for your turn to be on the hot seat when one of your players messes up.  

Mike Brown is just giving the middle finger to the recent public pressure to cut Jones despite the felony charge being dropped.   Let the NFL act first.  

There's no sense in helping another team fix it's secondary problem by putting him on the market at what would be an extremely cheap rate.

They wouldn't not cut him for fear of helping a foe. That's no reason at all to keep a bad seed. 

The whole things is a stupid fiasco, yet again distracting from where the focus should be. 

The Bengals certainly aren't alone in signing head cases. But most places, when the head case fuks up, there are consequences, like a pink slip. In Cincy, the boss makes excuses for you. That's the problem, and that's why it keeps happening.

Like COB said, Mike is a player's owner. Weird but true.

I may be the only one but I did not see spitting during the arrest video and if a human being is tied into a restraint chair like their going to be electrocuted to death, what is the point of an obviously strong policemen ripping that restrained persons head back to be gagged?  

IMO,  no NFL team has an absolute 0 tolerance policy as far as I can tell.    Their judgements are made based on football value to the team. 

The league is structured to make the NFL head office remove head cases from the talent pool.   Until that's done then you don't make a move, IMO.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:13 AM, AMPHAR said:

IMO,  no NFL team has an absolute 0 tolerance policy as far as I can tell.    Their judgements are made based on football value to the team. 

The league is structured to make the NFL head office remove head cases from the talent pool.   Until that's done then you don't make a move, IMO.

Sure, the team can wait for the NFL, that's the prudent thing to do but that does nothing to address the issue btwn the team and the community. 

Zero tolerance isn't an answer but we are looking at a player who still, after numerous chances, funds trouble off the field in the community, and has cost this team on the field as well. Given the depth of corners in this draft, it's not unreasonable to cut him before the NFL takes action. There will be replacements in large numbers to be drafted. 

But his preemie baby! We can all appreciate the human side of SoP's view on the matter but perhaps SoP has forgotten about the Pac-Man antics early on in his career? 

Maybe Adam should have been at home with her instead of out banging on hotel doors late at night? Just a thought. 

Fans and the community have less and less patience for this behavior anymore, even if he was a big name star. He's a name because of his antics, more than he's known for his play on the field. 

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I'll just leave this here... 

And that's on a "suspicion" ......

But wait, he's such an awesome player that couldn't possibly be replaced.
I mean, quit being so hard on the guy.

Agree, huge embarrassment that he's part of this organization.
Don't care what he brings to the field, which isn't much anymore.

How people continue to advocate for this piece of shit person is beyond me.