What to do for 2017 and beyond!

combatbengal

11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Yep.  This is when the "Mike doesn't want to win!" crowd comes out. 

But Mike Brown really does want to win.  I really believe that.  It's just that he really wants to win in his way.  Really bad.  

There's a book I've read recently called Ego Is The Enemy by Ryan Holiday.  Great book.  Both the Patriots organization and Seahawks organization read that book the year before they won the Superbowl.  True story.

If you don't think that mindset is the biggest factor for success in any business, regardless of what it is, you'd be...Mike Brown.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pick that one up. Re mindset, I agree. I could tell you stories...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, COB said:

Not many organizations let a decent guy go for a lateral move.  Our defense played pretty well, several teams would probably like him as their DC.  

I don't mind him as the DC I'm saying not sure how I would feel as him as a head coach though. 

I was saying chances are they won't let him walk because maybe he is the head coach in waiting, kind of like what they wanted Hue to be. 

• Like 1

I'm with you on Guenther.  He's turned out to be pretty good.  I have no idea what kind of HC he would be.  As far as a succession plan, I'd take Guenther any day over Alexander or Zampese, both of whom don't deserve consideration for our HC job.

So the Bengals need to take a look at what the Jaguars just did.  Yes, the Jaguars.
They bring back Coughlin, the 1st coach of the Jags who many thought was interviewing for the head coaching spot, and made him an exec.
Coughlin was named the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and has final say over the roster.

While I'm not sure of all the family member titles in the Bengals front office, but if someone holds that title, then call it something else.
Then promptly move Marvin into it.  I can't begin to say how much I would be in favor of seeing that move.
Coupled with bringing in Vance Joseph as the head coach, I would be MUCH more excited about the direction of this team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

So the Bengals need to take a look at what the Jaguars just did.  Yes, the Jaguars.
They bring back Coughlin, the 1st coach of the Jags who many thought was interviewing for the head coaching spot, and made him an exec.
Coughlin was named the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and has final say over the roster.

While I'm not sure of all the family member titles in the Bengals front office, but if someone holds that title, then call it something else.
Then promptly move Marvin into it.  I can't begin to say how much I would be in favor of seeing that move.
Coupled with bringing in Vance Joseph as the head coach, I would be MUCH more excited about the direction of this team.

Agreed that would be the move.  Tell you what, let's just wait one more year, see what we have in Marvin as a head coach, then think about something like the Jags/Coughlin thing.

One more year of status quo also allows us to assess exactly what we have in Alexander as a line coach.  Don't want to be too hasty on that one.  Let's give him some time and see what he can do.

Once we give Marvin and Alexander a fair shot to demonstrate their abilities, then we can talk about Marvin as a personnel guru.

This fan base just wants instant gratification, they don't understand the intricacies of running an NFL franchise.

• Like 1

Title aren't important, functions are!    Marvin has his voice and his influence probably to the level Tom would have with his title already.   Duke Tobin has a considerable amount of influence as well.

With the Bengals the dynamic wouldn't change with a title.   If the Owners want to overrule you,  you get overruled.

This issue we want to retain Marvin's positive influence on the talent  because we've seen the players they have can run, jump, tackle, block, pass, catch to a level that's gotten them 6 playoff seasons out of 8 and NOTHING else. 

That NOTHING has most fans wanting Marvin out of the game plan room and off the sidelines and give someone else a chance to see if they can crack the glass ceiling of winning for this franchise.

In all honesty, I have no issue what the heck they do with Marvin.  I just don't want him as the head coach.
I would have no issue with him in the front office, but I would have no issue with him on the street either.
Call him what you will; executive, guru, head whatever, or unemployed.  Just get off the sideline.

I just figure that with how much pull he obviously has with the family, that would be the obvious choice.
How the family would handle him in that capacity would be of little interest to me quite frankly.

I'd be far more interested in the next dude roaming the sidelines and the potential impact it would have on the team.
Anyone thinking this team is going to be "exciting" in 2017 must have completely ignored 2016.
The very definition of boring, bland, and uninspired.

Marvin Lewis Signs 10-Year Extension

Decade-long fully guaranteed $100 million deal ensures Lewis will coach the Bengals through 2026.

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin "Giggles" Lewis has signed a fully guaranteed 10-year extension that will keep him on the Bengals' sideline well into the next decade.

"Buwahahahaha!" said Lewis."Buwahahahaha! BUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"

In a release, Bengals President and Owner Mike Brown called Lewis "the best coach I've ever worked with," and "a real credit to the community."

"Making sure that Coach Lewis and his foundation remain here and active in Cincinnati was a key reason for doing this new deal," he added.

The extension comes at a time when many fans have been calling for the team to cut ties with Lewis. Bengals Executive Vice President Katie Blackburn dismissed those calls."Fans have no idea how hard it is to run a football team," she said.

"Buwahahahaha!" Lewis repeated."Buwahahahaha! BUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"

Lewis then donned a black cape and Darth Vader helmet and began whacking reporters with a wooden mop handle until they fled the press conference.

• Like 2

Surely part of the deal was to allow for future Marvin Lewis family members to gain a foothold in the NFL coaching realm right ??
I mean we wouldn't want to forget Marvin's 9 year old grandson that might want to coach in the NFL someday, right ??
Gotta make sure we secure that opportunity for him !!!

(no I don't know about his family)

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Marvin Lewis Signs 10-Year Extension

Decade-long fully guaranteed $100 million deal ensures Lewis will coach the Bengals through 2026.

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin "Giggles" Lewis has signed a fully guaranteed 10-year extension that will keep him on the Bengals' sideline well into the next decade.

"Buwahahahaha!" said Lewis."Buwahahahaha! BUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"

In a release, Bengals President and Owner Mike Brown called Lewis "the best coach I've ever worked with," and "a real credit to the community."

"Making sure that Coach Lewis and his foundation remain here and active in Cincinnati was a key reason for doing this new deal," he added.

The extension comes at a time when many fans have been calling for the team to cut ties with Lewis. Bengals Executive Vice President Katie Blackburn dismissed those calls."Fans have no idea how hard it is to run a football team," she said.

"Buwahahahaha!" Lewis repeated."Buwahahahaha! BUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"

Lewis then donned a black cape and Darth Vader helmet and began whacking reporters with a wooden mop handle until they fled the press conference.

I'm going to lite myself on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Surely part of the deal was to allow for future Marvin Lewis family members to gain a foothold in the NFL coaching realm right ??
I mean we wouldn't want to forget Marvin's 9 year old grandson that might want to coach in the NFL someday, right ??
Gotta make sure we secure that opportunity for him !!!

(no I don't know about his family)

There is some merit to that.   Marvin's son holds a coaching admin position with the Bengals, I think.

Oh, so that explains it..

Heading into his 15th season with Bengals, Marvin Lewis is ready for a playoff win

http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/marvin-lewis-heading-into-his-15th-season-with-bengals-lewis-is-ready-for-a-playoff-win

See guys? In the first 14 seasons he just wasn't ready for it yet...

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, so that explains it..

http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/marvin-lewis-heading-into-his-15th-season-with-bengals-lewis-is-ready-for-a-playoff-win

See guys? In the first 14 seasons he just wasn't ready for it yet...

THIS IS AWESOME!    We are all on the same page, finally!   He's ready for a playoff win.  We are ready for a playoff win.   It's perfect.

We are all ready for a playoff win!  That's the new t-shirt. 

• Like 2

The media in Cincy need to start asking hard questions.  I know it's just football, but at this point this bullshit has gotten ridiculous.

How about: "You say you are ready for a playoff win next season.  You probably were ready during the previous seasons as well.  What will you be doing differently in 2017 to bring about a different result?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, COB said:

The media in Cincy need to stinasking hard questions.   I know it's just football, but at this point this bullshit has gotten ridiculous.

How about: "You say you are ready for a playoff win next season.  You probably were ready during the previous seasons as well.  What will you be doing differently in 2017 to bring about a different result?"

Exactly. Personally I have no hope in the draft, no hope in free agency if this same guy and coaching staff is running the show again next year. They'll just find a way to f**k it up. Again. It's a s**t show that finds a way to self replicate no matter who comes and goes. 

Its becoming difficult to follow, and impossible to be optimistic about.

6 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

THIS IS AWESOME!    We are all on the same page, finally!   He's ready for a playoff win.  We are ready for a playoff win.   It's perfect.

We are all ready for a playoff win!  That's the new t-shirt. 

Absolutely. I'll get the silkscreen shop on it asap.

One of three things HAS to happen, IMO, if this team has any semblance of a chance for next year.

It starts on the O Line.  I don't care who they draft in April or retain in FA, if they don't significantly get more production out of the offensive line, then nothing matters.

1.  Alexander has to go.  Unlikely.

2.  Bodine has to be replaced as the starting center.  

3.  RT has to be upgraded and the guard play has to be upgraded.  RT and guard in the draft or FA.

If this line comes back looking the same, forget 2017.  And I will be more than comfortable picking them to do jack shit in the upcoming season as early as post draft if this team hasn't gotten their head out of their ass on the offensive line front.