What to do for 2017 and beyond!

combatbengal

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Well, if they aren't already, they should be letting everyone know they are open to a trade.
When looking at this draft class at QB, I think it's weak from top to bottom.
This would be the perfect time to make a move of this nature.
Hard to believe there wouldn't be interest.

I think Lewis knows anything he says will be met with disdain and skepticism, so he just blurts the most irritating thing he can muster. 

It really had no bearing if teams inquired last year, since the landscape changes SO fast. Bridgewater hurt, Romo hurt, Cutler hurt, etc. Now, Carr and Mariota hurt... Shit done changed. 

I hope they don't pass up on a good chance to improve the team. AJ should net a couple good picks, which should be taken. 

Lewis is a tiresome lout most if the time when dealing with the media. This won't ever improve. 

Cincy Jungle has reported AJ is a restricted FA in 2018.     That is even more good news for the Bengals.  

1. A team trading for AJ doesn't have to redo his deal.   They essentially control him for 3 years with much lower risk.  2017 last contract year, 2018 restricted year, and then Franchise/Transition tag.   That is way less risky that entering a Brock O type deal. 

2. Bengals aren't forced to move him at all.  They have tender options that could be placed to protect themselves and receive draft pick compensation in accordance to the tender offer

I know there was some previous debate on whether or he would be restricted but it is being reported that he will be. 

In this day and age, under this CBA, having a serviceable quarterback who has 2 years on his rookie deal - dead bang winner.  Someone can fork over picks, and get two years of audition from AJ before they have to worry about a 2nd deal or a franchise number.  

Guys still on their first deal are so different from guys on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th deal, that they're almost like a different species.

In Mike's dream world all his best, most productive, players are playing on their first contract, and all his veterans are Peko and Margus Hunt types.  

10 hours ago, COB said:

In this day and age, under this CBA, having a serviceable quarterback who has 2 years on his rookie deal - dead bang winner.  Someone can fork over picks, and get two years of audition from AJ before they have to worry about a 2nd deal or a franchise number.  

Guys still on their first deal are so different from guys on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th deal, that they're almost like a different species.

In Mike's dream world all his best, most productive, players are playing on their first contract, and all his veterans are Peko and Margus Hunt types.  

In Mike's dream world there are no agents, no union, no CBA, owners keep 100% of revenues, players make minimum wage and have to pay for their own equipment and locker rental fees, all the toilets in the stadium (including the locker room) are pay toilets, and no home games are televised regardless of sellouts because eight away games is enough free football for the plebes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Well Marvin is staying it seems. Just really may be time if he does stay after 2017, to find another coach.

I don't think there was ever any question about him returning unfortunately.   All signs point to Marvin/Hue coming up with a transition plan.  Mike approved but not in writing.

That pretty much pointed to Marvin being here in 2017 and the relationship between Marv and Mike.  Marvin most likely will be heavily involved in finding his replacement whenever that time will come.  In retirement,  Marvin will probably hold some advisory role.

A brass statue of Paul Brown will be raised with Marvin carrying him through a Jungle Landscape. 

I still can't believe not one coach has been let go. 

This shitty of a season and nobody is paying for how they played! 

This is horrible, I have no clue how nobody on this coaching staff is held accountable! 

If there is no change this year at all, then I think it's time I cancel my game pass for next year, so I could at least listen to there games. I figure what's the point if it's going to be the same old crap! 

6 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

If Vance isn't a Head Coach by the time the Bengals job comes open, I believe he would be a serious candidate for the Bengals.    Tobin and he were back up QBs together at Colorado.   

Heard nothing but good things about him as a Bengal assistant.

I agree. I think Vance ends up in one of the open positions this year. Maybe SD or SF. 

Never know.  How long did it take Zimmer to finally get a head coaching gig ??
I could see Vance being used by teams to adhere to the Rooney rule without anyone truly biting.
I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Miami for 2017.
That would suit me just fine in hoping Marvin goes after 2017 and seeing Vance come back.

15 hours ago, kingwilly said:

Is that a Lumina. Somewhere Mikey sheds a single tear. 

I'm not sure if it's a Lumina, just like I'm not sure Marvin is an actual football coach anymore.

It's a shell of its former self, like Marvin.  And whatever it once was, it is absolutely burned out, just like Marvin.  

Wake up Brown and Blackburn family members.  You fellows may all recall a few years ago when the .com had an article or two about the very sweet house Marvin bought in the Scottsdale area.  You know, the Arizona sunshine, where people go to retire?  Dude literally bought his retirement home, but the Brown family can't take a hint.  He doesn't even look like he enjoys coaching anymore.

Easier said than done.        Paul Brown was already behind the times in the 80s but got by because he was that damn good at finding playing/coaching talent.  

When he passed, his family went into saving the family jewels mode.   When they looked up they might as well be Fred Flintstone making an appearance on the Jetsons.

Marvin got them out of that mess.    

Many Bengal fans fear a return to the stone age post Marvin and I would bet so does Katie Blackburn.   Marvin is like the long time IT guy in a mom and pop business.

They aren't going to burn a bridge with Marvin Lewis because when the time comes to figure out what to do after Marvin they are going to ask Marvin what to do. 

This is going to make one hell of a book.  

I'm not one that agrees in burning the bridge with Marvin, as I think he could certainly be a continued asset within the organization.
That being said, I firmly believe that position is not as the head coach of this football team.
How many years have people suggested his move into the front office ??  If Katie and company want figure out what to do after Marvin, why not keep him nearby ??
However, the time HAS COME to figure out what to do with Marvin and they are hurting this team further by sitting on their hands hoping it gets better.

This year should has made things blatantly obvious that something needs to be addressed with this team.
There is still a large amount of talent on the roster and they get next to nothing out of it and make poor player decisions.
Continuing down that path out of the fear of "what happens next" is borderline negligent on their part.

8-8 in 2017 !!!

6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm not one that agrees in burning the bridge with Marvin, as I think he could certainly be a continued asset within the organization.
That being said, I firmly believe that position is not as the head coach of this football team.
How many years have people suggested his move into the front office ??  If Katie and company want figure out what to do after Marvin, why not keep him nearby ??
However, the time HAS COME to figure out what to do with Marvin and they are hurting this team further by sitting on their hands hoping it gets better.

This year should has made things blatantly obvious that something needs to be addressed with this team.
There is still a large amount of talent on the roster and they get next to nothing out of it and make poor player decisions.
Continuing down that path out of the fear of "what happens next" is borderline negligent on their part.

8-8 in 2017 !!!

It is negligent.  But what else is new with this franchise?

They are going to let Marvin die on the vine in the same vein they actually defended their talent acquisition pre Marvin. 

It's a reflection of the thinking at the top of the organization (i.e. Mike Brown) and always has been.

Remember the interview Daugherty did with him years ago.

Paul asked Mike what the strategy was for winning a championship.

Mike said that someday, they'll get the right collection of players and then they'll win.

I've always called this the Tinkerbell Strategy: someday the football fairy what lives in the clouds will come down and sprinkle magic dust on the team and they'll win.

Deep down, the organization really doesn't appear to believe there's much, if anything, they can do to win other than drafting players and hoping the final 53 in September is the Pixie Dust Squad. It explains why they don't do much in FA, why they're OK with letting other teams dictate their roster by allowing key players to "test the market," why they are OK with replacing known talent with unknown draft picks, everything. They think it's just a crap shoot. Things like better coaches or more scouting staff are just wastes of time, money and effort.

A sad fate for a team founded by Paul Brown, whose Hall of Fame career was built on finding new and innovative ways to win.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It's a reflection of the thinking at the top of the organization (i.e. Mike Brown) and always has been.

Remember the interview Daugherty did with him years ago.

Paul asked Mike what the strategy was for winning a championship.

Mike said that someday, they'll get the right collection of players and then they'll win.

I've always called this the Tinkerbell Strategy: someday the football fairy what lives in the clouds will come down and sprinkle magic dust on the team and they'll win.

Deep down, the organization really doesn't appear to believe there's much, if anything, they can do to win other than drafting players and hoping the final 53 in September is the Pixie Dust Squad. It explains why they don't do much in FA, why they're OK with letting other teams dictate their roster by allowing key players to "test the market," why they are OK with replacing known talent with unknown draft picks, everything. They think it's just a crap shoot. Things like better coaches or more scouting staff are just wastes of time, money and effort.

A sad fate for a team founded by Paul Brown, whose Hall of Fame career was built on finding new and innovative ways to win.

Yep.  This is when the "Mike doesn't want to win!" crowd comes out. 

But Mike Brown really does want to win.  I really believe that.  It's just that he really wants to win in his way.  Really bad.  

There's a book I've read recently called Ego Is The Enemy by Ryan Holiday.  Great book.  Both the Patriots organization and Seahawks organization read that book the year before they won the Superbowl.  True story.

If you don't think that mindset is the biggest factor for success in any business, regardless of what it is, you'd be...Mike Brown.

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Sounds like Washington want Paul Guenther as its DC, but the bengals won't let that happen.

My guess is they want Paul as the next head coach here in waiting, whatever Hue was supposed to be. 

Depression is setting in now for years to come!

Not many organizations let a decent guy go for a lateral move.  Our defense played pretty well, several teams would probably like him as their DC.