Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

On 3/3/2017 at 5:54 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Again, why spend a first round pick on a position you see no worth in retaining in 4 years ??
I get not wanting to tag Z at over 14 million for the season, but c'mon.

The Chiefs handed out a 5 year extension to their OG this year paying him as one of the best in the league.
Cost ?? 8.25 million per year.  With over 40 million in cap space, that's not doable ??
Play with the structure, push money, whatever.  However, you don't let your 1st round, pro bowl level, OG walk out the door.
I know the lure of that elusive 3rd round comp pick the following year is almost too good to pass up, but d*mn.

Not only that but okay They think OT is a more deserving position for big money sign Zeit now and in 4-5 years when his contract expires you may have some OTs worth spending money on

There's not a negative to resigning Peko.   It creates competition for his space eater role that he has consumed 65% of the snaps.   Most assume that will be Billings.

The rest of the crew in the space eater role have not been able to remove Peko from his snaps so IF he gets beaten out by Billings that probably removes a DT from the roster like Pat Sims.

I would rather have top line competition for the space eater role from Peko rather than Sims or Thompson.   Guys that have not been able to remove Peko in the past.

The real issue at that spot is pass rush.   The DTs they've had lost snaps to Margus Hunt,lol.   Margus is good at taking up blockers but not finishing and doesn't have the instinct to play football to match his measurables.    Atkins snap count remains high.   

A pass rushing DT that can be better than Hunt and also give Atkins a break is needed.    Peko eating up blockers is not a concern to me because it's an issue of him playing so many snaps and hopefully Billings at least drops him to below 50% snaps taken.

Find a pass rushing DT that can reduce Atkins snap count for rest and maybe give us more pressures and sacks than what Hunt could do. 

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

There's not a negative to resigning Peko.   It creates competition for his space eater role that he has consumed 65% of the snaps.   Most assume that will be Billings.

The rest of the crew in the space eater role have not been able to remove Peko from his snaps so IF he gets beaten out by Billings that probably removes a DT from the roster like Pat Sims.

I would rather have top line competition for the space eater role from Peko rather than Sims or Thompson.   Guys that have not been able to remove Peko in the past.

The real issue at that spot is pass rush.   The DTs they've had lost snaps to Margus Hunt,lol.   Margus is good at taking up blockers but not finishing and doesn't have the instinct to play football to match his measurables.    Atkins snap count remains high.   

A pass rushing DT that can be better than Hunt and also give Atkins a break is needed.    Peko eating up blockers is not a concern to me because it's an issue of him playing so many snaps and hopefully Billings at least drops him to below 50% snaps taken.

Find a pass rushing DT that can reduce Atkins snap count for rest and maybe give us more pressures and sacks than what Hunt could do. 

I'd like to see them make a run at Calais Campbell. He'd fit that role to a T. Yes, he'd cost some coin but I bet he'd be a great leader and locker room type. 

If you are not upgrading, you are not getting better. Especially with players who simply can't perform at the necessary level. Love Peko but, like it was with Thornton or Geathers, it's time to move on. 

The problem with bringing Peko back is the same problem we've seen with them hanging onto aging, declining guys in the secondary like Hall and Jones: it keep young guys on the bench and puts the team in the position of having to choose between re-signing a player or letting him go without a clear notion of who he is and what he can do. Dre is a perfect example. He had his best year last season. But before that he was meh. Do you give him $10 million a year based on one good year?

At DT we've got Billings going into year 2, and Hardison and Williams going into their third year with the team and we honestly have no real idea if they can play or not. I think it very, very, very unlikely if they sign Peko that he's at any real risk of not making the final cut. Moreover, as a 12-year vet, a one-year vet minimum deal for Peko is $1 million, which is way more than either of the three young'uns is making, and in Cincy, if you get paid, you play. Mike Brown ain't paying $1 million for a "mentor."

24 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not trying to be funny in the least here.

Do we think it's a matter of the other players not being able to unseat Peko, or the coaches unwillingness to give snaps to someone else.
I only ask because this team certainly has concerns in that regard.

Other DTs couldn't get snaps over Margus Hunt in pass rush situations at DT.     The only other guy that really gets snaps at the NT role is Pat Sims.

Peko is better. 

To this point they have swung and missed.   Billings got hurt.   Devon Still played way to high.  Brandon Thompson has been injured. 

7 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

or how much is Whit using other teams to up his market value? 

Normally I'd say that, too, except the Bengals don't generally play that game. They have their budget and if Whit gets offered more, nice knowing ya.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Interesting. How bad does Whit want out and/or how low are they balling him?

Well if that's the case then what a joke, for the biggest leader of this team. If he goes this locker room and team are a huge mess.

Nobody on this team had a bigger role then this guy.

Whos the locker room guy then, Adam Jones? What a joke! 

Pay the guy to stay, he is the best thing going for this team!

I wouldn't go ape quite yet. The Bengals are notorious for staring down players until the last possible minute...and then caving. How many times have we seen a deal get done that is right in line with expectations expressed weeks before and written some variation of, "why wasn't this done weeks ago???". It would not at all surprise me if we start hearing about a deal with Whit being close later tonight, followed by a signing early tomorrow prior to the start of FA.

It would also not surprise me if that doesn't happen. And there's certainly no indication it will happen for KZ or Dre.

I'm still in hate mode.

While I readily admit not having full understanding, I'm not currently thrilled with:

Whit, Dre, and KZ given the ability to walk away (all top end draft picks).
The handling of Adam Jones and Maualuga and the cap dollars gained by moving on.
The continued value of "Leadership" players that no longer produce on the field.
The continued lack of free agency moves.
Letting people come to them about the potential of moving McCarron.
Not a single person being held accountable when things have gone wrong.
Players not getting chances to play earlier.

Maybe it's just the appearance and some of these items have actually been looked into, but it's irrelevant at this point for me.
I know I'm not the only fan that has grown tired of the same old same old and I simply refuse to give a pass anymore.
Something has to change for me to take this team /organization seriously again.  I just don't care anymore.

Has Marvin gotten that extension yet ??  God knows his Super Bowl is right around the corner !!!
Keep keeping on Bengals fans !!!

• Like 1

It would be opening of Free Agency IF Bengal fans weren't pissed.    By April it works out.

They are missing final validation via post season success.  This offseason represents another opportunity  validation in their process as they are in transition at some position groups.     Maybe 2009-2015 was the product of luck?

The line was a hot mess following 2008 and it came together very nicely and was foundation of 3 division titles.  See what happens.   

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

It would be opening of Free Agency IF Bengal fans weren't pissed.    By April it works out.

They are missing final validation via post season success.  This offseason represents another opportunity  validation in their process as they are in transition at some position groups.     Maybe 2009-2015 was the product of luck?

The line was a hot mess following 2008 and it came together very nicely and was foundation of 3 division titles.  See what happens.   

The difference is that in years past that was really the only thing we could get fired up about. This year the frustration is deeper and broader than any year in the recent past.

How long have we been waiting for post season success ?? That's not a recent condition of this team. I'm just done looking at the bright side of how this team has always done business.

Here's a clue: IT DOESN'T WORK !!!

9 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Can Mike Zimmer save us? C'mon Zim you can do it!!!

There are a lot of 3rd graders in the Minneapolis area who need to be told that readin' and writin' is good!  Also, a piece of playground equipment needs to be bolted together in front of cameras and reporters.  Go Peko!

2 hours ago, COB said:

Man, I've got mixed feelings on Kirkpatrick.  We carried his ass through injury and slow development.  Now he chooses our hated rival to use as leverage.  

I feel the same. 

Let him sign in Pitt, and get smoked by AJ twice a year. 

I'd feel better about it if we knew what we had in WJIII. Dennard is a ST/backup. If Dre leaves, expect an early corner taken. Again.