Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

My first preference is Zeitler at RG.   However, it doesn't appear that way as it seems.   I'm not sure of thinking that value a Guard pick for the 1st round and then not wanting to pay that player market money when that player proves your selection right.   Also division rivals have also invested heavily in 2nd contracts for their RGs. 

So sign him.

IF that doesn't happen.   Fisher is the RG, IMO.   Then invest somewhere in FA for RT.   I'm not convinced Fisher is RT material.   At the least he should have competition from day 1 for RT job.   It shouldn't be viewed as his spot to lose but rather his spot to earn.

I could see Fisher going RG and being an adequate replacement for Z.  

Year after year, we identify players who would help us out if they'd just make the move from tackle to guard.  Year after year, they seem to be incapable or unwilling to make the move.  Maybe Fisher will be different.  Probably depends a lot on who his agent is,

I hate to say it, but it may just be time for me to put all my Bengals stuff in a pile and burn it. Take it away, Geoff...

With Gio rehabbing I believe we will draft a RB I think at least by the 4th round we need a RB that can play now just in case Gio goes on the PUP. What you think about Joe Mixon becoming a Bengal? Aaron Owens, Cincinnati, OH

AARON: Giovani Bernard (ACL) is having maybe the greatest rehab offseason since Leon Hall’s first Achilles’ reconstruction. If not, then since Leon Hall’s second Achilles’ reconstruction, so I’m willing to wager that barring a setback he won’t go on PUP. Maybe he’ll miss the first one or two games of the regular season, but I think that’s it. That’s merely a gut call, so we’ll see. After what happened with Tyler Eifert’s ankle I’ll leave medical speculation to the journals.

Still, you’re right. With Cedric Peerman and Rex Burkhead headed to free agency, I would think they’ll draft a back fairly early. But they also seem committed to get Jeremy Hill back in gear before he hits free agency next year.

Mixon, the Oklahoma running back, has baggage with two off-field incidents for which he was suspended. An assault charge when he punched a woman that got him suspended for the entire 2014 season has put him under an intense microscope.

For the most part in the last 10 years or so the Bengals have stayed away from prospects with checkered pasts after getting burned repeatedly early in in head coach Marvin Lewis’ tenure. But they’ll do their due diligence and put Mixon in the vetting machine before making a call.

So let's recap:

1. our (on) crack med staff says Gio is doing great and may only miss one or two games tops! (translation: expect PUP)

2. bye Rex

3. they're "committed to get Jeremy Hill back in gear before he hits free agency next year"? What the hell does that mean? I thought the goal was "win a Super Bowl," not "get Hill a big $ FA deal next offseason". Seriously, WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????

4. they may replace Burkhead with a GUY. WHO. PUNCHES. WOMEN. Holy fukking shit what the hell is wrong with this team????

• Like 1

On February 9, 2017 at 10:03 AM, AMPHAR said:

Not sure what he is trying to say, either.    NFL Roster movement staring in March in the dead of the sports season churns the Media.  Gets a lot of attention.    NCAA is a couple weeks away.  Opening day is nearing but not there yet.   NBA/NHL, lol, no one pays attention to that until conference finals etc. 

Boom.   Players X, Y and Z are going to Philly!   Yeah!  Fly Eagles Fly!  Superbowl!

It's easy to rally against Free Agency against it's hay day back in the early 90s.   Easy to denounce Free Agency against the immediate Hype/expectations with big $$$$ contract announcements because when the dust settles the same power brokers are going to be there at the top of the conferences.  So I doubt any FA move will jump a bottom tier team to the top in 1 season.  Maybe, I guess.

But getting deals done on the eve or during Free Agency whether it be for you own or other team's players does effect your team's fortunes for seasons ahead.

I'm quite in favor of continuity this offseason.   Bring me back my Bengals (Whit, Z, Dre, Moobs, La Fell, Gresh). 

I see no reason to make a move to get Gresham. I rather have a mid-round TE than overpay for gresh.

moobs could help. Dre, Z and Whit are gotta have back players. Hope they focus on that, plus LaFell. 

If if they shop in FA, best to aim at a linebacker, who can help now. The O-line will be ok, if they keep Whit and Watson progresses at RT. 

And while we're on the subject of OTs, Whitworth "pretty positive" he'll be back, but wants to test the proverbial waters in FA, and the Giants are apparently planning to make a run for him.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/02/potential_giants_free_agent_target_lt_andrew_whitw.html

On 2/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, HoosierCat said:

And while I'm dropping links, this is pretty spot on imo except for the part about keeping Peko:

http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/article/headline/bengals-free-agency-draft-shopping-list/432613/

Doesn't have Sims as a UFA but I think he is.  That makes a total of 7 UFAs on the O and D Lines.

If all the same guys are signed on again, I'd be surprised.  

The team has the money to do it though.

ok then, cutting him is my number one expectation for a successful offseason (if the later sign him for vet min if we get a bunch of injuries at LB, np) Number two expectation is not re-signing Peko. Great guy, but a shell of a player. Third expectation is to spend the dollars to retain KirkP and Zeitler. Fourth and final expectation (outside of filling certain needs in the draft) is signing 1 competent veteran OL. any spot will do, but prefer either a T or a C. Would I like to sign Rex? yes, but not for starter dollars, and I think thats what he will get after that late stretch show he put on. Someone will overpay. Unfortunately. I dont think we are allowed under the CBA to extend our new KR, but as soon as that becomes legal it needs to be done. I'd like Whit back but he will likely sign with a team who thinks they are one OLT away from a Superbowl appearance, and will pay through the nose to get that order filled.

Broncos also interested in Whit.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/23/14715098/broncos-russell-okung-paving-way-run-andrew-whitworth-bengals

That they would even let him test the market is both so insane, and so Bengals.

There's still time before FA, but atm it looks like they could lose Whit, KZ, Dre and Rex.

Here's hoping they pull their heads out of their butts.

If they lose Whit first, Zeitler probably gets paid.  Can't imagine Alexander being ok with losing his best tackle and his best guard in one off season.  

But I guess the fact that Mike could/might do it, and that Alexander will undoubtedly not say shit about it explains why that collection of cells is still on this coaching staff after all these years.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about Whit just yet.  They've always invested in tackles.     I have no problem with them building through the draft but when you miss you've got to do things in the FA market that you don't want to do.

They missed on their tackle plan to date.   There's ways to get Whit 15+ mil this year have him count half of that this year.   See what happens. 

I think they'll lose Z and put in Fisher at RG with a FA signing at RT probably return of the Moobs.

Would like to get Whit done then tag Dre.

Talk on the radio sounded positive Rex would return.  Unnamed Scout basically said there wouldn't be a huge market.  Rex is the type of player that we've seen. 

I could see the RB market being soft given how many good RB prospects there are in the draft. Definitely a bumper crop this year. But of course with Rex it's not just about money, it will be about an opportunity to start, and as long as Hill/Gio are 1/2 (or 1a/1b or whatever) I would say the chances he returns are very low.

I'm hanging in there on Whit. It's very Bengals to wait until the very cusp of FA to do a deal. If we aren't hearing anything by March 6 or 7, get nervous (FA starts the 9th).

Zeitler I have sadly written off. Even if Whit walks I don't think their position on not paying guards top dollar will change.

If they are going to use the tag on Dre or anyone, we'll know by 4 pm Wednesday, because that's when the window to tag a player closes. I don't see them using the tag this year.

11 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I could see the RB market being soft given how many good RB prospects there are in the draft. Definitely a bumper crop this year. But of course with Rex it's not just about money, it will be about an opportunity to start, and as long as Hill/Gio are 1/2 (or 1a/1b or whatever) I would say the chances he returns are very low.

I'm hanging in there on Whit. It's very Bengals to wait until the very cusp of FA to do a deal. If we aren't hearing anything by March 6 or 7, get nervous (FA starts the 9th).

Zeitler I have sadly written off. Even if Whit walks I don't think their position on not paying guards top dollar will change.

If they are going to use the tag on Dre or anyone, we'll know by 4 pm Wednesday, because that's when the window to tag a player closes. I don't see them using the tag this year.

They should tag zeitler then renegotiate long term.  That would make it easier to sign Whit for 1 or 2 years.

Amp is probably right.  I think they put Fisher at RT though and Westerman at RG.  Whit comes back until he retires.

Lots of FA G and T available.  If they pick up a mid tier FA then Westerman may sit the bench,  and Fisher play RG or Fisher at RT  with the FA at RG like when they signed the dude from Carolina Lavelle Wharton?? Was his name?

of course he immediately had a CEI ...

Travelle Wharton.

And yes, I'm sure when Z goes they'll dumpster dive for some guy like Marshall Outhouse. Andy got sack as many times last year as he did in the two previous years combined so it makes perfect sense to replace what worked on the oline with inferior players and keep what stunk. #BengalsLogic

I read a quote somewhere from Whit that had him saying something like, it's not just money, I want a commitment to winning, like I want to see if the Bengals sign Z and Kirkpatrick, now that I'm old I see how important these pieces are.

I paraphrased that of course.  But it was a pretty honest glimpse into Whit's mind.  And here's what I think is going to happen - they watch Kirkpatrick and Zeitler sign elsewhere, they keep Adam Jones around because they haven't figured shit out yet, and Whit says fuck it and signs elsewhere.  I really think that's it and I think Marvin knows it.  He's not talking about a one year run for a ring.  He blathers on like he's in it for the long haul, just like a coach who was staring a rebuild right in the face would sound.