Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

Gresh was a turd.
Had all the capability in the world to put the game on his shoulders and never did.
Blocking was better with him, but there hasn't been many more players that irritated me more than him over the last 10 years.

Moobs ??  I stomped for him in the draft, but that was in the line of thought that he would become our LT some day.
That never happened, but when he was healthy he was certainly better than anything we saw from RT this year.
I would be neither happy nor disappointed in his return.  Very meh...

How many years older are they ??

Don't like the names then just focus on the need.    

Right Tackle is beyond obvious that it often gave up ground too fast in pass pro and often broke down that resulted in pressure, hits, and sacks. 

What has slipped under the radar is the decline in TE blocking since Gresh left.   They give up too much group too and often get beat across their face when sealing the edge.

Either way they need to fix that somehow.   Gresh and Moobs both preformed better than what they currently have in those roles.

Oh, like I said, I agree that they are probably better than what they had last year in those areas.
I just don't care for either all that much.  No big deal.

Honestly, I still can't fathom why we didn't see more of Hewitt in a blocking role.  Or maybe he did that and it sucked ??
Along those lines, I would love to see them with more of a traditional FB leading the way for a runner.
If the running game is struggling, why not help from a blocking perspective.

I know it's not as sexy as throwing the ball all over the field, but it's more of what I would like to see from them.

14 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Zampese wants to run two TE sets, 

Zampese wants to get his head out of his arse

• Like 1

Well folks, that's it. Andy has been Marvinized/Mikeyized: (from Dehner)

“What do we need? Hard to say,” Dalton said. “We need to get some of our guys back. That would be nice. If we can get some of the guys who are free this year back with us and continue what we have with continuity.”

Optional musical accompaniment to this post:

AJ did share his feelings here in the article:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/02/01/sb51-live-carter-sees-jones-green-role-models/97369116/

It's more than just "Continue with continuity, because that's the best way to continue.  I mean continuity is pretty good and continuing that is good as well."
Dull, lifeless, stale, boring, and stupid.  This team...

I'll take some continuity this year.      Whit, Z, and Dre would be an A+ haul for any team.     Give me a known insurance policy at RT in the form of Big Tits Andre.   If there's another RT available let's hear the names.

I would also address blocking TE at the edge and my first target would be the TE formerly known as Gresh.

Then LaFell deserves to be back.

You land those 6 and not to sound like Hobson but the cap will be capping and it's a hell of an offseason. 

From that article, there were a few things that jumped out at me.

AJ making it a point to say the team needs to "Make some moves" to fill spots.
He mentioned the defensive side of the ball to get the defense back and help Dunlap and MJ.
He also brought up how important he felt it was to bring back Whit.
I loved that he brought up the team's core philosophy in roster building.

On the side, Sanu was talking about team chemistry and compared Atlanta and Cincinnati saying:
"We have a standard that we uphold and we didn't really have that there"

Does that make them right and us wrong ??  Not necessarily, there are different people no matter where you go.
However, this again speaks to me as yet another issue the coaching staff is responsible for.

Hobson ideology but not Hobson; a different source.   Warning:  Free Agency IS BAD!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/worst-nfl-free-agent-pool-ever-wont-stop-desperate-teams-from-diving-in-wallets-first/

Someone will break the bank for Melvin Ingram of the Chargers, feeling like he will be the true pass rushing ace of this uber-limited class over time. Another team will figure Dre Kirkpatrick will live up to his pre-draft billing once he leaves Cincinnati (probably not). If the Bengals let Kevin Zeitler hit the market, he will cash in, but the team that signs him had best already have a competitive line in place given the position he plays, and, again ... well, those truly top-echelon teams abstain from big free-agent deals for players not already homegrown.

Not sure what this guy is trying to say. Good teams lock up their own good young talent, so there's a not a lot really on offer in FA? Yeah, that's generally true. But in that case, Dre and KZ qualify as good young talent, so the Bengals should lock them up, but that would require paying them what they'll get on the open market, or close enough to it as no matter, so...they're stupid for locking up their own good young talent?

IMO the real story is buried early on: the booming salary cap combined with the salary floor means teams have to spend silly amounts of money. If you are one of the lucky FAs to gets to cash in, congrats, you just hit the NFL FA lottery! As the Bengals have amply demonstrated, it's quite possible to avoid those Brinks truck deals...and still waste big coin in drips and drabs (see Hewitt, Ryan).

Not sure what he is trying to say, either.    NFL Roster movement staring in March in the dead of the sports season churns the Media.  Gets a lot of attention.    NCAA is a couple weeks away.  Opening day is nearing but not there yet.   NBA/NHL, lol, no one pays attention to that until conference finals etc. 

Boom.   Players X, Y and Z are going to Philly!   Yeah!  Fly Eagles Fly!  Superbowl!

It's easy to rally against Free Agency against it's hay day back in the early 90s.   Easy to denounce Free Agency against the immediate Hype/expectations with big $$$$ contract announcements because when the dust settles the same power brokers are going to be there at the top of the conferences.  So I doubt any FA move will jump a bottom tier team to the top in 1 season.  Maybe, I guess.

But getting deals done on the eve or during Free Agency whether it be for you own or other team's players does effect your team's fortunes for seasons ahead.

I'm quite in favor of continuity this offseason.   Bring me back my Bengals (Whit, Z, Dre, Moobs, La Fell, Gresh). 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Easy to denounce Free Agency against the immediate Hype/expectations with big $$$$ contract announcements because when the dust settles the same power brokers are going to be there at the top of the conferences.  So I doubt any FA move will jump a bottom tier team to the top in 1 season. 

Nope. My view of FA is that it's an opportunity to fill in a hole or two ahead of the draft, which increases your ability to take the BPA. The Bengals seem to see it as a opportunity to open more roster holes so you get forced into taking/reaching for certain positions. Go figure.

17 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Nope. My view of FA is that it's an opportunity to fill in a hole or two ahead of the draft, which increases your ability to take the BPA. The Bengals seem to see it as a opportunity to open more roster holes so you get forced into taking/reaching for certain positions. Go figure.

The only thing I will disagree with is the Bengals don't appear to be reaching to fill needs in the draft.   Quite the opposite actually. 

They didn't reach for WR last year in the first although M. Thomas, Shepard, and Boyd all produced well enough to warrant a late first when compared to the first round WRs of the same class.  

I think WR was definitely going to be the pick in the first last year and then there was a big run at the position.
The first WR went off the board at #12 then the three picks ahead of the Bengals at #21-23 were all WR's.
There was no WR left worthy (or so they thought) of the #24 pick and went CB, which you could argue was the wrong direction with our 20/20 hindsight.
Even with LaFell having a decent year, I still believe that is an upgradeable position and wouldn't surprise me at #9.

It would help even more if Whit comes back and they can solidify the RT position.
If they get Fisher in there from day 1 of OTA's, they might have better results. 

That revolving door of suck just won't work.