Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

6 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I don't know how Barwin fits-in here exactly, but with the emphasis on the short passing game so big now, I don't know that the Bengals' run a true 4-3 much anymore, and likely need more speed and athleticism upfront in general.  

i'd also be on-board with Robinson, immediate upgrade there to ReyM or V-Ray, and could play in the middle.

They need to sign guys like that or the defense is going to slide backwards very quickly as it did last year.

If you mean 3 lbs playing traditional LB roles in a 4-3, they only do it on short yardage or when they are almost sure it's going to be a run.  It's not their base defense anymore.

On Bengals.com, Hobson posted something 19 hours ago.  It's a grotesque amalgamation of the typical excuses and justifications the team feeds him as he tries to keep a dissatisfied and frustrated fan base informed.  Remember how Geoff said the Bengals were now out of the free agent market because they only had like 3 million bucks left under the salary cap?

19 hours ago he posted the following:  "The Bengals want to make sure they get a third-round compensatory pick for Kevin Zeitler’s deal in Cleveland and a compensatory fifth for Andrew Whitworth’s deal in Los Angeles. Now with Peko, Burkhead, and Karlos Dansby already signing or about to sign deals worthy of picks, the Bengals have some room to maneuver on the unrestricted market."

So if he is to be believed, and I for one do believe him, the Bengals let the prime days of UFA shopping and signing pass by while they make sure enough of their own free agents sign elsewhere to assure them of those precious, precious, compensatory picks.  

The timeline looks something like this:  Free agency starts. In a day or two, Zeitler and Whit sign deals elsewhere.  And why shouldn't it go quickly, they're in demand.  As are a bunch of other players who sign deals in those first couple days.

Mike's up in Indian Hill doing the finger tip tap thing, going, "excellent", while Smithers releases the hounds.

Those compensatory picks weight heavily on his liver-spotted head.  They run through his mind like the lollipops and covered wagons he remembers from childhood.  

He waits.  Two or three more days pass.  Uso, Rex, and Dansby sign elsewhere.  Those comp picks are cemented in place now!

Finally, the Bengals are ready to strike!  But the 3 free agents that come to visit are, 1.  On crutches, 2. Wearing a home confinement bracelet on an ankle, or 3. Coming to the meeting straight from totaling an all you can eat buffet at Sizzler.

No one, and I mean no one, plays the free agency period like our First Contract Shaman.  We'll have one of the youngest teams in the NFL for as long as the league is operating under this CBA.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kingwilly said:

Why haven't they had Zach Brown (Bills LB) in for a look? He's a really good player and could be had for just a shade more than FNR. Fucking cut Pac man already and get the defense some reinforcements. 

Marvin loves Adam. He will be back I'm sure.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:53 AM, HoosierCat said:

That was pretty good stuff.  Lots of insight into what's happening with these mid-level vets.  

The NFL kind of mirrors our society as a whole. The middle class is shrinking and the wealthy are getting even more wealthy, as difficult as that may be in the NFL.  

Since this thread is titled free agency -  I wanted the front office to sign NFL starters to step in and play on the o-line and at linebacker.  They did both.  Not necessarily the players I'd have picked, but they did sign guys who are legitimate NFL starters.  Not top tier, first day of free agency, but they got a couple players.