Free Agency Watch

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

We open the 2017 free agency discussion with depressing news: Bengals and Peko have spoken multiple times about a new deal. Sigh...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/2/14142488/report-domata-pekos-agent-has-talked-to-bengals-regarding-a-contract-extension

Peko is a great human. But he's a deficient DT anymore. Time to move on. It's time. 

Keeping him will set back development of Billings, Hardison and Williams. Fantastic. 

Can just hope they go high at DT and they will feel they have to play the r1 DT. 

I like Peko too and he has my thanks for all he did in a great career in Cincy. But it's time. Like Willy said we have a backlog of prospects on the bench and it's time to find out who they are before the team has to think about paying them a second time. 

Peko played less than 60% with Sims less than 40%.      I have no problem with Peko coming back but having to compete for the 60% and hopefully landing at the 40% with Billings taking over.

The bigger issue at DT is the 70% Atkins is playing.   They need to find a guy that can be more productive with the 30% or even find a guy that can drop Atkins down to 60% or he'll decline faster than you would like.

That's were your Hunts, Gilberry's that get those interior snaps at times need to be upgraded.    

Some speculation from the Hobsonator in his latest column. Summarizing:

Thinks they will re-sign Whit (no surprise there).

Thinks they will pick up the 5th year option on Dennard.

Seems to think that they try harder to keep Dre than Zeitler. At least, he makes no mention of Kevin so he's conspicuous by his absence.

Thinks the Bengals are more inclined to hold onto McCarron for now.

Thinks Burkhead has taken the starting job away from Hill & they will have to promise him increased PT to retain him. Worth noting that we now have Hobs, Lap and Dehner all throwing Hill under the bus and backing it up over him repeatedly.

If you saw the Sound FX on the NFL network they did this season, you probably noticed Hill's unusual personality.  After he scored a touchdown Dalton tried to congratulate him and Hill pretty much ignored him.  Not a lot of personality or communication there.  No surprise he's not well liked.  

Yeah, normally a player who takes as much fire as Hill has since the season ended gets some defense from coaches, but I haven't seen anything positive about him. Whether they keep Rex or not it seems they are ready to move on, and if that's the case I would be looking at trading or just releasing Hill. Getting busted down from starter to third stringer can't help but create some bad vibes.

After much thought: 

Whit = must sign

LaFell = must happen

Dre and Z = must sign

Vet FA LB or Line = must happen

Clearly the bengals dropped the ball with development of the next round of O-line.    IMO,  they need to compensate to make up for it and play some cap tricks to get the players the money the want and push the hits in the future. 

Rex would be nice but I think they are starring at Franchise runners in the top 10.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, normally a player who takes as much fire as Hill has since the season ended gets some defense from coaches, but I haven't seen anything positive about him. Whether they keep Rex or not it seems they are ready to move on, and if that's the case I would be looking at trading or just releasing Hill. Getting busted down from starter to third stringer can't help but create some bad vibes.

I had suggested trading Hill back some time ago before the season, can't recall exactly. But the point is clear, his time is up as the unchallenged starter. With Rex testing the market and Gio still on the mend, a RB in the first few rounds seems likely. Perine in r2,after taking a blue chip LB or DE in r1 looks like a great option. But Perine might jump up the board with a great combine performance so he could be gone in late r1. 

I think there are a bunch of RB's in this draft I would be happy with, but there are a lot of questions at this point.

Do they resign Rex ??
When will Gio be back full go ??
Is Hill really in the dog house ??
Do they still want the "thunder and lightning" aspect in the backfield ??

If Rex leaves, I think everything is up for consideration.  What they are looking for will make a big difference as well.
You have guys like McCaffery and Kamara, that I think are really exciting guys in the backfield.
Then you have some bruisers like Fournette and Foreman (who I really like).

I still say they let Rex walk, leave Hill as the starter and maybe draft a RB later on.
Would suck, but that's what I expect.

If you are keeping the same running game concepts you featured in 2015 and 2016, then Rex and Gio should be the priority.     The Bengals run a lot of the RB reading the front side blocking and then picking a choosing to stay frontside or go backside. 

Hill is clearly isn't comfortable or as effective in that type of scheme.    

41 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I still say they let Rex walk, leave Hill as the starter and maybe draft a RB later on.
Would suck, but that's what I expect.

Nothing ever surprises me with this team, but if Rex leaves I think they have to grab a back early. Maybe not first round but second or third definitely. Gio is coming off injury, and Hill we've been over and 2017 is a contract year. It's a rich year for RB, fortunately.

Maybe.
I will stick with definitely grabbing a RB.  "Where?"", is another question which could be argued either way.
Moreso looking at the depth of the position in the draft.  I won't argue with whatever course they take really.
I'm thinking I'm going to be disappointed anyway because I don't want Rex to leave either way around.

On 07/01/2017 at 4:05 PM, AMPHAR said:

Clearly the bengals dropped the ball with development of the next round of O-line.    IMO,  they need to compensate to make up for it and play some cap tricks to get the players the money the want and push the hits in the future. 

That ain't the way the Bengals operate - it's just not gonna happen under that format

38 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Zeitler Watch: Jets extend G Brian Winters for $8 million/year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/16/jets-sign-brian-winters-to-four-year-extension/

There is your point of reference for Zeitler. I hope they can work out a deal. 

Also, watching the GB v DAL game made me think the Cowboys would make a run at Dre. They got carved up pretty bad and wouldn't be wrong to think Dre could help them out. 

Keeping Dre just got harder, IMHO. 

Dump MJ, Peko and FNR and they *could* try to keep all the big important targets. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, Scottishbengal said:

That ain't the way the Bengals operate - it's just not gonna happen under that format

I know and I am aware.    But their plans for the future o-line is in dire question.  

Kevin Zeitler has played at a high level since being drafted.  If you aren't willing to take on more risk with him then in reality YOU aren't willing to compete in the league.

They can't expect a ridiculously high success rate in the draft to continue year after year.

I will point out (although they rarely get credit for it) when the draft classes around 2005 fell apart via injury and crime.  They went out and got players they didn't draft and that's what started the run of playoff streaks.  Then over the years drafted players dominated the core. 

For a while they had good run grabbing guys for quick fixes especially on defense.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I know and I am aware.    But their plans for the future o-line is in dire question.  

Kevin Zeitler has played at a high level since being drafted.  If you aren't willing to take on more risk with him then in reality YOU aren't willing to compete in the league.

They can't expect a ridiculously high success rate in the draft to continue year after year.

I will point out (although they rarely get credit for it) when the draft classes around 2005 fell apart via injury and crime.  They went out and got players they didn't draft and that's what started the run of playoff streaks.  Then over the years drafted players dominated the core. 

For a while they had good run grabbing guys for quick fixes especially on defense.   

Good points. Fully agree re 2005 class. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hobs:

_Long-time NFL agent Pat Dye Jr., the representative for Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth, has traded e-mails with Bengals vice president Troy Blackburn and the two have agreed to touch base regarding a deal for Whitworth next week when Dye gets back from watching five of his clients at the Pro Bowl.

Whitworth is one of them and Dye said after Wednesday’s South practice that he can only reiterate what his client told the media as he went into free agency after the season.

“He’s played his whole career there and it would be cool to finish his career there. We’ll see,” Dye said. “There’s a lot of ground to cover between now and March the ninth when free agency begins.”

So 5-6 weeks before the start of FA, the Bengals will "touch base" with the one guy they pretty much have to keep at any cost. Great to see the team acting with such urgency (/sarcasm).

They may not like it but since Ooogie and Fisher are still question marks.  Right now there isn't a sure fire starter at tackle in the top 10 of the draft.  It's time to roll out the Willie Anderson extension plan.    You might only get 1 or 2 good years and end up having to eat years 3 and 4, BUT that's what happens when draft plans don't work.

Tag Z.  Go cozy up to Big Tits Andre.   Go get Gresh.    Edge blocking must improve at all cost.    IF Fisher and Ooogie respond then you eat contracts and GASP face some dead money on your cap like every other team in the league.