2017 Offseason Dumpster Thread

HoosierCat

I watched some of the second half of the Green Bay game, worth it to see Rogers.  That arm is incredible.

The other games, as stated by Volcom, all sucked.  None of them could hold my interest. 

I've been a huge NFL fan for years, and I'm finding these games unwatchable.  The NFL has a problem.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

If Burfict made this exact hit he would be banned for life.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/818173287222087682

Yep.

The Steelers, they're so "tough" and play "tough Steeler football".  Imagine if that was Benny getting popped like that.  Holy shit it would have been armageddon.  

Hell, if any of the Bengals made this hit they'd have been called "cheap" or "selfish" or "out of control" by the commentators.  

Blah, blah, blah....

• Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, HoosierCat said:

He was pretty bad early in the season, too.

Yes, he had a 70 yard TD...against Cleveland. Against Cleveland, Jeremy Hill is an all-pro: 279 yards (8.2 yard average) and 2 TDs.

However, against actual NFL teams, Hill is some random drunk guy plucked from the crowd before the game: 560 yards (2.97 yard average) and 7 TDs.

The thing for me about Ced and Nugent is this: it's hard for me to call either of them the least valuable player given that Ced's playing time was drastically dialed back halfway through the season and Nuge was actually cut. Their impact on the team declined, and in Nugent's case, flat-out stopped, as the season wore on. Not Hill, though. He got the ball again and again and again and failed again and again and again. The only reason he didn't put a rotten cherry on top of his s*it sundae of a performance in week 17 was injury. If you still don't believe me, I'll turn it over to Dehner, who predicts Hill will be reduced to a backup role next season:

And ain't that just typical Bengals? We have a running back who sucks. Cut him? Nah, he's cheap, keep him as a backup (and in a goal line role he's shown no special aptitude for). We have a running back who's good? Fuggit, let him walk in FA, we'll just draft a new guy, because lord knows we don't have any other holes to fill in the draft. Let's open a few more!

Oh Jeezus.  The hits keep coming.  Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

In a few days the NFL will announce that it should have been called targeting, thus Bud should have been ejected.  Last year the Steelers put the same hit on Gio, and the NFL couldn't call that one correctly on the field either, instead waiting until a few days later to tell us all what they SHOULD have called.  

Same old cheap shit from that bootleg organization.  Stand up to them like Burfict does?  You don't have six rings so the rules are different.  The league and the so-called NFL media will Willie Horton you so fast it'll make your head spin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Monday morning talk would be solely focused on him being suspended, reckless teammate, horrible person, should be kicked out of the league.

In reality,  these hits were celebrated 10 years ago and media and the league will determine the narrative afterward pending the reputation of the player/franchise.

The league doesn't have the ability to remove these hits from the game.   Just the same they don't have the ability to remove off the field problems from the player pool.

Goodell's actions regarding both criminal behavior and bad hits have increased the negative attention towards the players and the league.

My solution:  Let the players, play.    Let the game unfold.   Remove the bad actors from the league so team's can't recycle or rehab them after a certain point.   

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Denver hires Vance Joseph as head coach.

Hey, at least that leaves the option open for Alexander to step right in when Marvin leaves huh ??
I hate this front office so much right now.  You know, more than the average hate I usually carry.
On the plus, at least Marvin is ready for a playoff win...

FUCK !!!

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, HoosierCat said:

Saw on a Steelers board it was a 18,000 fine for Dupree.   Of course they all think that it's unfair, lol.    Burfict is monster unless he was Steeler then he'd be great and hard nose.

Hill looks like he's toast, at least here.   Re-sign Burkhead as Gino insurance and situational/ST's role, find a big back replacement for Hill that's an upgrade, can't be that hard.

Meanwhile they need to upgrade OT and C above all else on offense first.  I don't know if they will even consider doing that in FA or as a top 2 pick, but, along with LB and maybe CB (again), I hope they aren't looking at anything else as top FA's or round 1/2 draft picks.

Dunlap added to the pro bowl roster.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dunlap-joins-select-group-in-Pro-Bowl/e668600c-5d38-4ff8-8a80-ad70946591f2

IMO he ought to have been there in the first place. Still my pick for the most under-rated Bengal (outside of Cincy).

Hopefully he doesn't get Eifragiled.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:05 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Meanwhile they need to upgrade OT and C above all else on offense first.  I don't know if they will even consider doing that in FA or as a top 2 pick, but, along with LB and maybe CB (again), I hope they aren't looking at anything else as top FA's or round 1/2 draft picks.

Yep.  But nothing they do will surprise me.  I can see them doing something off the play chart.  Marvin may be thinking it's his last shot, so might go for a home run pick, someone that could start on day 1 and be great, or could bust.  Like an Odell Thurman type.  

what I'd like to see happen draftwise is that they take some of these extra picks to turn their third rounder into a very late first round or early 2nd round pick, and then use all 3 picks in the first two rounds on pass rushing DLs and pass blocking OLs. Hopefully, this will include a new plug-n-play C. They can take a RB later, and I dont think they need a WR, honestly. They should draft a K no later than r5 to ensure they get one of the top 2-3.

I seriously doubt they replace Center this season.  They stuck up for him when he was horrible.    He had his best season this past year, even if they only thing you could say about it was average at best.      Too much was made about his benching because it was for communication clarification.

I think the best I would hope for is to have a competition or drafted competition for 2018.    I just don't see them uprooting C completely after this year given the improvement.

I would like to see the Kentucky Center.   He's a versatile o-lineman and could play multiple spots.   Did a great job at C in the SEC.   Will be at the Senior bowl.

They do have to fix the o-line.    I'm not sure how they will do it though.   As of now there isn't a hot top half of the draft o-line.   So i'm not sure you are finding a sure fire starter in the second round for next season.    I think if they let Z go then they must put big money into another FA OL.   Whit is a must.   I consider Z a must but that remains to be seen.

Here's one to file away for future reference:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/hue-jackson-leaning-towards-greg-seamon-as-new-browns-qb-coach/

Browns Coach Hue Jackson plans to stay in-house to replace quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton, Cleveland.com reported on Monday.

Jackson said he’s “leaning towards” moving Greg Seamon from tight ends coach to quarterbacks coach and moving Mark Hutson from assistant offensive line coach to tight ends coach. 

“Greg Seamon was my quarterback coach in college so he knows quarterback play and I trust him more than I trust a lot of people,” Jackson said. “I feel good about where we are right now but if I feel like afterwards that I do need someone else, we have the potential position where we could hire someone else.”

Seamon has been in football for 40 years and has spent 15 in the NFL. He was working as a scout with the Bengals when the Browns hired Jackson away from the Bengals last year, and Jackson brought Seamon to Cleveland. He’s been a college offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Meanwhile, Bengals fans can only hope Ken "iron rice bowl" Zampese gets better...

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Here's one to file away for future reference:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/hue-jackson-leaning-towards-greg-seamon-as-new-browns-qb-coach/

Meanwhile, Bengals fans can only hope Ken "iron rice bowl" Zampese gets better...

I never knew how much Hue Jackson liked Seamon until I read that story.