2017 Offseason Dumpster Thread

HoosierCat

Glad AJ isn't making the trip. 

Anyone good at draft pick math want to take a stab at what the team could net by trading back? 

I like the LBs up high, and the DTs but maybe better to stock an extra r2 and r3 pick... Thoughts 

The thinking is that they will get as many as 4 comp picks, with at least 2 in the third or fourth. And those are tradeable now. So if they want to wheel & deal they should have lots of ammo. But I'd rather stick at 9 and get a blue chipper. Should be some good options, with LB Reuben Foster seemingly the early favorite. Inside backer coming out of a pro style defense who can play the run sideline to sideline and get to the QB? Yeah, I'll take that.

So, do any of you remember a dozen or so years ago, maybe more, when someone (I think it was Paul Daugherty) floated the idea that the Bengals should hire a Potemkin GM? He wouldn't have any actual power but he would deflect anti-Mike rage and make it look like the team was doing something? Well, if you ever wanted to know what that would have looked like, here you are:

http://deadspin.com/bills-gms-press-conference-really-couldnt-have-gone-muc-1790691580

I'm going to say stay put.    Before the crazy draft season starts the mocks seem consistent that the top 10 will have impact prospects at DE, WR, CB, RB.    I'm guessing a couple traditional franchise positions also get chosen ahead of the Bengals like QB.

Just a pure guess but the Bengals will have a nice pick of a CB and RB sitting there.

Coming from my arm chair,  I would go with the Running back in attempt to maximize the prime years of the existing offensive talent.   

51 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

For those of you on twitter, interesting poll:

I voted Hill.

You're crazy.  Ogbuehi actually cost us games.  Or should I say the coaches' insistence on continuing to play him cost us games.  His inability to block just plain wrecked that offense.  

Sorry boys, but Hill brought nothing to the table this year, and that was a big reason why Ced was such a problem. With no credible run game to turn to, defenses could exploit Ced's laughable pass protection and tee off on Dalton. But really, any choice on the list could be justified, they were all bad.

Were I to change out anyone in the poll, I'd probably put MJ on instead of Rey; hard to say that Maualuga was LVP simply because he rarely saw the field.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Hill on the list is just wrong.     Might not have been the future star we all hoped at 1 point but he still got the ball in the endzone with a horrible red zone team.

Several TDs were all Hill

Let's not pretend there are not a dozen backs than can make those runs. Specifically Rex. 

I recall Hill making a long touchdown run, like 70 plus yards.  He looked ok for the first part of the season.  He's just beat.  I guess some guys can handle the pounding (Gore), and some guys decline much more quickly.

Ced, on the other hand, got pushed into the backfield just about every time he got bull rushed.

Our defense didn't deserve what our offense did to it.  That OC has a lot of nerve coming back next year.  He should do the honorable thing and fall on a sharpened field hockey stick in Katie's office.

• Like 1

I think the Bengals are a better team than top ten drafting teams usually are.  This is a good opportunity to grab a high-quality player who can [in a perfect world] make the difference between the Bengals being good and very good.

Or they can draft another Keith Rivers and gain nothing.

I don't think Hill is a special player, but I also would vote Ogbuehi as the LVP 50 times before considering Hill.  I think the Bengals have a stable of three above average running backs.  Gio, Hill, and Rex are all solid but not great.  If the line was better, and if Ken Zampese was better, I think we'd have seen the fruits of that.

Nugent legitimately cost this team games.  He, himself was the difference in at least 2 games this year.  That's massive.
Ogboogie contributed with his poor play, but you can't pin one play of his that "cost a game".  He would be 2nd place though.
FNR hasn't been a true starter for a while, but there are other guys that played more and equally sucked.  MJ and Bodine come to mind.
Dansby had a ton of tackles, but he was obviously the weak link of the LB corps and is a shell of his Arizona days.
Hell, I still think Shawn Williams sucks.  His play this year didn't sway me from how I've felt about him from day one.

Somewhere after all of that I would place Hill.
Don't get me wrong, that's not a ringing endorsement of his play.
There was just a whole butt load of SUCK to go around this year.

While not a player, had Marvin been on the list, it should have been unanimous
HE cost this team more games this year than any player.
Like I said, SUCK...

14 hours ago, COB said:

I recall Hill making a long touchdown run, like 70 plus yards.  He looked ok for the first part of the season.  He's just beat.  I guess some guys can handle the pounding (Gore), and some guys decline much more quickly.

He was pretty bad early in the season, too.

Yes, he had a 70 yard TD...against Cleveland. Against Cleveland, Jeremy Hill is an all-pro: 279 yards (8.2 yard average) and 2 TDs.

However, against actual NFL teams, Hill is some random drunk guy plucked from the crowd before the game: 560 yards (2.97 yard average) and 7 TDs.

The thing for me about Ced and Nugent is this: it's hard for me to call either of them the least valuable player given that Ced's playing time was drastically dialed back halfway through the season and Nuge was actually cut. Their impact on the team declined, and in Nugent's case, flat-out stopped, as the season wore on. Not Hill, though. He got the ball again and again and again and failed again and again and again. The only reason he didn't put a rotten cherry on top of his s*it sundae of a performance in week 17 was injury. If you still don't believe me, I'll turn it over to Dehner, who predicts Hill will be reduced to a backup role next season:

And ain't that just typical Bengals? We have a running back who sucks. Cut him? Nah, he's cheap, keep him as a backup (and in a goal line role he's shown no special aptitude for). We have a running back who's good? Fuggit, let him walk in FA, we'll just draft a new guy, because lord knows we don't have any other holes to fill in the draft. Let's open a few more!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

We have a running back who's good? Fuggit, let him walk in FA, we'll just draft a new guy, because lord knows we don't have any other holes to fill in the draft. Let's open a few more!

If this plays out, if they let Rex walk and then draft a guy to play in front of Hill, then logic and reason have evacuated from PBS, the plaque in Mike's brain has clogged 100% of the vessels above his neck, and Marvin is a fucking idiot.