Ravens @ Bengals It's Almost Over Thread

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

I wouldn't blame him for leaving a place that only lets him play in garbage games.  I shudder to think of what the Patriots could do with Rex Burkhead.

I can see him in Indy next year. Probably in the schedule to play Cincy next year and he will go off on the Bengals... Fantastic. 

Burkhead is not a #1 RB.  But he's definitely a capable #2.  

So the question is would the Bengals be willing to let go of Hill in order to feature Bernard and Burkhead?  

If so, I'd like to see the Bengals draft a bruising type back in the mid rounds.

Can the Bengals let Hill go?  Or trade him?  That's the question.  They have enough money to pay Burkhead.

Hill is totally disposable. $1.2 million cap hit to keep, $262k in dead money to cut/trade.

The idea that Rex couldn't be a No. 1 back is <stops typing, tales deep breath, tries to remember to be nice, it's a new year, let's start out on the right foot> the dumbest thing I've heard you stupid fukking ash... <NO NO NO STOP HOOSIER YOU DUMBASS STOP> a severely misguided analysis considering Rex's performance in college and so far in the pros. I would suggest you reconsider. In any event, Rex and Gio would be a formidable pair, assuming Gio comes back from injury ok, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Hill is totally disposable. $1.2 million cap hit to keep, $262k in dead money to cut/trade.

The idea that Rex couldn't be a No. 1 back is <stops typing, tales deep breath, tries to remember to be nice, it's a new year, let's start out on the right foot> the dumbest thing I've heard you stupid fukking ash... <NO NO NO STOP HOOSIER YOU DUMBASS STOP> a severely misguided analysis considering Rex's performance in college and so far in the pros. I would suggest you reconsider. In any event, Rex and Gio would be a formidable pair, assuming Gio comes back from injury ok, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Lol.  Ok, ok.  I'll concede on that one.  I'm just hoping that other teams don't see it that way.  If they do, I'm afraid the Bengals won't pay.  

• Like 1

Oh, I hear ya. I am petrified we will get stuck with Hill for 3-5 more years. Re Burkhead I've just gone round on Twitter with Dehner and Oscarwski (sp wrong)  on this and its maddening that Rex is seen as a "Gio replacement" and that retaining him is 100% impossible because he can't handle 25 carries a game. They are totally focused on the idea there must be 1 big pounder and 1 scatback and no other mix of RBs is possible and Rex is a scatback so he's gone. It's completely wrong but gawd forbid anyone question the CW.

I don't think Rex is a type of RB to shoulder most of the load. 

I do think the Bengals need to flip their thinking.  Hill is not a slasher.   He runs very well against teams that try to get their end up the field and the Bengals can trap. 

Rex and Gio type backs need to be featured with the big back taking a back seat. 

Or you get the top talent that can blend them all with your top 10 or top 45 pick. 

Rex can shoulder the load for sure, he did it in college for years, he carried it more then Hill ever did in college.  

He carried it over 20 times in this game and looked good doing so. 

They would be stupid to not sign Rex, he and Gio would make Dalton better. 

So tired of Hill dancing in the backfield, or run to the hole that was made by the o-line only to shift away from the hole. Hill is awful!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh, I hear ya. I am petrified we will get stuck with Hill for 3-5 more years. Re Burkhead I've just gone round on Twitter with Dehner and Oscarwski (sp wrong)  on this and its maddening that Rex is seen as a "Gio replacement" and that retaining him is 100% impossible because he can't handle 25 carries a game. They are totally focused on the idea there must be 1 big pounder and 1 scatback and no other mix of RBs is possible and Rex is a scatback so he's gone. It's completely wrong but gawd forbid anyone question the CW.

Did you tell them that on Twitter?  What did they say?  And what is "CW"?

Conventional Wisdom. The Enquirer guys are pretty much convinced Rex is gone. They think the Bengals may draft a back to push Hill, but won't keep Rex to do that because he is a "Gio replacement." They don't think Rex can carry the starting load. And like I said they are wedded to "thunder and lightning" thinking.

• Like 1

Hill has transformed into Rudi before our eyes. Gotta move him, packaged for picks or however, before they give him another chunk of money. 

There is no question that Rex can handle  a feature back role. He's proven it to be so. Saying different is ignoring facts on their face. But that's not even what Hill does, with Gio. Gio and Rex would be quite potent. 

If they are stuck on the shock and awe concept, then get Bo Scarborough in r2-3. He's essentially a Fournette clone and can carry plenty of a load. Gio and Bo add up to more than Gio and Hill. 

Sad that they have so little faith in Rex, who has only proven himself every time he's gotten his hands on the ball. I'll be cursing the Bengals staff every time he scores for the Pats, Colts, Giants, Broncos, or Panthers. Best wishes to Rex, he is a talented guy who plays harder than anyone on the field when I see him get the ball. 

• Like 1

Just to be clear, I don't know if the Bengals think the same as the Enquirer reporters. Hobson wrote that the team will make a big push to bring Rex back. My guess (emphasis on guess) is that it will come down to whether they are ready to move on from Hill. If not, Rex, like Marvin Jones last year, will look to go somewhere he can start. If I had to bet, the Bengals won't come off Hill far enough to convince Rex to stay. At best they'll say they'll allow an open competition. Won't be enough.

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Conventional Wisdom. The Enquirer guys are pretty much convinced Rex is gone. They think the Bengals may draft a back to push Hill, but won't keep Rex to do that because he is a "Gio replacement." They don't think Rex can carry the starting load. And like I said they are wedded to "thunder and lightning" thinking.

Got it.

It just doesn't make any sense if you just look at the game tape.  Why not have Gio and Burkhead share carries and draft a bigger back in the mid rounds for the red zone, for example.  If you don't think Burkhead can "carry the load" then have him split carries.  It's what any team will do with Rex.  There are no more dominant carry RB's anymore besides 1 or 2.   Agreed, CW is not going to cut it.

41 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Rex is probably looking at a soft market.   There's 4-6 RB already being mocked in rounds 1&2.   Some higher profile Free agents like Lacey, Bell, and Murray.  Those guys will get extended or suck up contract dollars. 

That is true and should help. But it's about opportunity as much as money. If the Bengals want to keep him he's got to be one of the two lead backs, and they just paid Gio, so...it's Rex or Jeremy. And throwing Hill overboard at this point would be out of character for this organization.

That said, it's very telling to me the way the offense and particularly the line praised the hell out of Rex and made no mention of Hill. The locker room wants him back and that carries some weight. Bottom line this is easily the biggest drama of the offseason.

The Bengals totally F'ing up everything in regards to Burkhead to this point will end with him leaving and being very productive for another team.
How can a team put so much into scouting a player, knowing he's a fit, and then leave him to rot while getting so little from their starters ??

Hill won't go anywhere because he won't cost the Bengals much and you know how they love to pay out entire contracts to their players.
I mean, it's far more important to come across as loyal then it is to actually field a team of your best players.

Burkhead rushes for 119 yards on 27 carries for 4.4 per carry with 2 TD's.
He also caught both passing targets for an additional 12 and 13 yards for the two catches.

Yeah, he can't handle the workload and just isn't worth the coin.
Stupid f*cking team.