Bengals @ Texans Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

The reason I see the kicking issue as a bright spot is that it suggests that the overall problem is fixable in one offseason if they are aggressive. Obviously, find a new, reliable kicker, probably in the draft. They'll have several high comp picks so if they want to get one of the top boots, they can.

Face the fact that some of the "leaders" are done. Rolling out guys like Peko and MJ is just wasting Dunlap and Geno. The Hunt experiment is over and it failed. Target DE early and late.

Ced is a bust. They have to pay Whit and KZ and are going to have to find another LT of the Future. Might not be this year tho, may have to just hope we can squeeze one more season out of Whitworth.

Hill gives us nothing in the run game. Gio is coming off injury and we don't know if he comes all the way back. Burkhead is a FA. Absolute minimum they need to keep Rex. Drafting a better prospect than Hill would be good. I'd like it but other holes may need filling worse.

Pay Dre. It will be too much but we can't risk further deterioration in the secondary. Start looking for a replacement for Williams. 

Id like to do something about LB but there just may not be enough resources.

All this is doable. Question is, will they? 

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Quite serious. Again, this doesn't mean they're anywhere near where they need to be to seriously compete for a championship. The pass rush is nonexistent, the LBs mostly a joke, the running game is a failure, WRs are Green and a bunch of guys and, of course, the oline is a train wreck. And those are just the issues on the field. Let's not even get into the problems on the sideline and in the FO. 

But all that said, the team is still -- still! -- in the playoff hunt today if they have a reliable kicker. That spot was the backbreaker this year.

I agree with all but one part of this.  Agree - they have a lot of good players on the roster.  Difference player-wise between us and a bunch of bad teams like the browns, jags, niners, etc, is huge.  We've got a good roster that can be improved.  

Disagree - that at receiver we have Green and a bunch of guys.  I think our receivers are really really good.  Green, Lafell, Boyd, and now Core.  I think Boyd and Lafell could potentially be the best pair of #2 and #3 receivers in the league next year.  

I honestly think Margus sticks around as a backup DE because of his special teams contributions.  I seem to recall a early season game where we won by something like 2 points and he blocked a FG in that game.  

Had Bullock made that final FG vs Houston, his block of the earlier PAT would have also proved to be a game winning big play.

That said, the 1st rounder needs to be a DL or OLT, whichever is BPA at that point

As of right now, we have the 6th or 7th pick in the 1st round! Here is the problem with a lot of these so called football experts though. They want to pick the best player on the board which sounds great. but that doesn't mean that that player will work in that teams scheme or system. Example, RG III was awesome in college - Washington wanted to take a scrambling QB and turn him into a pocket QB. That just about ruined his career and didn't work! I love watching Z. Elliot from the Cowboys- but if you put him on a team with no O line or in a 75% passing offense, he wouldn't be as good as he looks now! So, what the Bengals need to do, is evaluate all the positions and players, come up with a game plan on what we need to improve this team, scout for that type of player, and go get him! I don't care if there are 50 players that the experts think are better than him or not. He is what we need for the team! I'd also suggest that the Bengals bring in someone from outside of the organization to provide their views/expertise on what the rest of us see and what the current Bengals administration isn't seeing! Gruden or H Edwards would be Awesome! Maybe promote Lewis to GM and bring in a fresh new HC! Or just get rid of Lewis and hire a new coaching staff!! Sooner or later we're going to have to start over!

2 hours ago, COB said:

I agree with all but one part of this.  Agree - they have a lot of good players on the roster.  Difference player-wise between us and a bunch of bad teams like the browns, jags, niners, etc, is huge.  We've got a good roster that can be improved.  

Disagree - that at receiver we have Green and a bunch of guys.  I think our receivers are really really good.  Green, Lafell, Boyd, and now Core.  I think Boyd and Lafell could potentially be the best pair of #2 and #3 receivers in the league next year.  

Green is really, really good. LaFell and Boyd are possession guys. Good players certainly but they don't scare defenses and struggle to get open against better secondaries, as we've seen all year. Core has potential but is still very raw. What they badly need is a Chris Henry/Marvin Jones type with speed who can be another downfield threat. Core might get there. I've pretty much given up on Wright ever staying healthy long enough to be that guy.

All that said, I would agree that WR is much lower down on the list of things that need fixing. Pass rush, OT, RB and K are all ahead of receiver in my book. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, combatbengal said:

As of right now, we have the 6th or 7th pick in the 1st round! Here is the problem with a lot of these so called football experts though. They want to pick the best player on the board which sounds great. but that doesn't mean that that player will work in that teams scheme or system. Example, RG III was awesome in college - Washington wanted to take a scrambling QB and turn him into a pocket QB. That just about ruined his career and didn't work! I love watching Z. Elliot from the Cowboys- but if you put him on a team with no O line or in a 75% passing offense, he wouldn't be as good as he looks now! So, what the Bengals need to do, is evaluate all the positions and players, come up with a game plan on what we need to improve this team, scout for that type of player, and go get him! I don't care if there are 50 players that the experts think are better than him or not. He is what we need for the team! I'd also suggest that the Bengals bring in someone from outside of the organization to provide their views/expertise on what the rest of us see and what the current Bengals administration isn't seeing! Gruden or H Edwards would be Awesome! Maybe promote Lewis to GM and bring in a fresh new HC! Or just get rid of Lewis and hire a new coaching staff!! Sooner or later we're going to have to start over!

I agree with this, in the context of this roster. For a team like Cleveland, with so many holes, you take the BPA. 

in 2017 draft, you have to take the LSU free safety. Shawn Williams is average at best, and the depth guys are not starter quality. At that spot it's the best they can get. I don't see an impact LB there who will improve the D the way that FS will.