Bengals @ Texans Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

The bright spot is easy. Despite all the issues on offense and defense, the Bengals are right now a 8 to 10 win team with a kicker who doesn't suck. Note I'm not saying they'd be Super Bowl bound or anything like that, but kicker was a huge, huge deal breaker this season.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

The bright spot is easy. Despite all the issues on offense and defense, the Bengals are right now a 8 to 10 win team with a kicker who doesn't suck. Note I'm not saying they'd be Super Bowl bound or anything like that, but kicker was a huge, huge deal breaker this season.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.  Doesn't matter, I guess, because what you wrote is undoubtedly how the team feels too.

I can't get over the being the 32nd ranked 4th quarter scoring offense in the NFL.  Kicker or not, that's not getting it done.  Hell, bring back Jim Breech.

Sure they can be an 8-10 win team next year.  But will they be a team that can change dynamically?  Can they beat the Steelers?  Can they even dream about winning a playoff game?  Do they really think that's a possibility with the massive regressions seen this season?

They will be a 5-6 win team again next year if they don't replace aging, declining players, chronically-injured ones, and under-performing players.  I can name 7 starting roles that are all in decline or have no real answers at all on this roster, at least, that will keep them from being a playoff team again.

They have the potential to return to an 8-12 win team again if they do a lot more in the off-season than they have the last 2.  But I don't have faith they will do what it takes, because they never, ever do.

• Like 2

Well that was predictably pathetic. Only bright spot for me was rex burkhead, full steam ahead where Hill just pisses about at the line. Hill just seems to never see a hole, rex just creates one if there's not one there already! Would love to see him get a proper chance next year, won't hold my breath though as if imagine they think he's too much like Bernard. 

Defence played ok, definitely time to replace Adam Jones, can't keep giving away free yards week after week.  Would have liked to have seen more of vigil and dawson, but can't really fault the defence this week.

Sincerely hope we see aj next week to get his 1000, but again won't hold my breath! 

Have a merry Christmas everyone, enjoy your day and forget all about football for a while ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.  Doesn't matter, I guess, because what you wrote is undoubtedly how the team feels too.

I can't get over the being the 32nd ranked 4th quarter scoring offense in the NFL.  Kicker or not, that's not getting it done.  Hell, bring back Jim Breech.

Sure they can be an 8-10 win team next year.  But will they be a team that can change dynamically?  Can they beat the Steelers?  Can they even dream about winning a playoff game?  Do they really think that's a possibility with the massive regressions seen this season?

Quite serious. Again, this doesn't mean they're anywhere near where they need to be to seriously compete for a championship. The pass rush is nonexistent, the LBs mostly a joke, the running game is a failure, WRs are Green and a bunch of guys and, of course, the oline is a train wreck. And those are just the issues on the field. Let's not even get into the problems on the sideline and in the FO. 

But all that said, the team is still -- still! -- in the playoff hunt today if they have a reliable kicker. That spot was the backbreaker this year.

33 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Quite serious. Again, this doesn't mean they're anywhere near where they need to be to seriously compete for a championship. The pass rush is nonexistent, the LBs mostly a joke, the running game is a failure, WRs are Green and a bunch of guys and, of course, the oline is a train wreck. And those are just the issues on the field. Let's not even get into the problems on the sideline and in the FO. 

But all that said, the team is still -- still! -- in the playoff hunt today if they have a reliable kicker. That spot was the backbreaker this year.

While I can't disagree with you, I'd say that's not a bright spot.  But the "same spot" they've been in for years now.

So if the same spot is a bright spot, then that would assume that there's a plan in place to build from where they are to something much better.  

But none of us see that actually happening.  

This car is going to have to break down on the highway before the FO decides to scrap it and go in a different direction.  Next year?  Ehhhh....6-8 wins and more excuses on why 2017 didn't work like it should have.  

Winning teams in this league focus on "what is". The Bengals focus on "what should have been".

Always looking backwards on a presumption they are better than they actually are.

The best teams are always trying to get better.

The Bengals are intent and content on trying to keep together what they think works.

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

What are they 0-6 in games with a 4th quarter lead? 

There's no gaurantee of anything next year, but it's the NFL.  

Edit: that doesn't sound right.  They've lost 6 games or maybe didn't win 6 games they were leading in the 4th qtr. Is that right?  

Something like that.  Sounds about right.  Since they are the 32nd 4th quarter scoring team in the league, that makes sense.

I wonder if the Patriots and Steelers have these same conversations and questions.

"You know instead of being 11-5, we really are a 14-2 team.  Hmmmm....yeah, let's not make changes.  We were just unlucky."

Of course not.  Teams who talk in terms of luck are teams that lose consistently or fall short.