Let's talk playoffs, shall we?

cincyhokie

Just for the pure entertainment value.

Seeing how the Steelers are now 8-5 and the Bengals would need them to lose out to include a loss at home to Cleveland, we can consider the AFCN a lost cause.

What about the WC?

The Broncos who are 8-5 have left:  NE, at KC, Oak  (not a crazy idea to think they could lose out)

The Dolphins who are 8-5 and just lost Tannehill for the year have left:  at NYJ, at Buffalo, and NE (not a crazy idea to think they could lose out without Tannehill finishing 8-8)

The Ravens who are 7-5 have left:  at NE, Phil, at Pitt, and at Cin (Not a crazy idea to think they could finish 8-8)

Let's start with next week:  The Bengals have to beat Pitt.  Then the Dolphins and Broncos have to lose.  The Dolphins at NYJ and the Broncos to NE.  Ravens should beat Philadelphia at home.  Cin:  6-7-1  Dolphins:  8-6  Broncos:  8-6  Ravens:  8-6

Then things start to get interesting.  The Bengals have to beat Houston on the road, the Steelers lock up the AFCN with a win against Baltimore.  The Broncos have to lose on the road against the Chiefs.  And the Dolphins have to lose at Buffalo.  

That would put the Bengals at 7-7-1.  The Steelers at 9-6.  The Ravens at 8-7.  The Broncos at 8-7 and the Dolphins at 8-7.  

Then the Bengals would need to beat the Ravens. The Broncos would have to lose at home against Oakland.  And the Dolphins would have to lose at home against NE.

The Bengals would be in at 8-7-1 with the 6th seed playing....wait for it....Pittsburgh on the road in the WC round.   This is assuming the Colts (6-7) and Titans (7-6) won't finish higher than 8-8.  Likely.  

So you're saying there's a chance??!!!!

1.  Patriots

2.  Chiefs

3.  Steelers

4.  Texans

5.  Raiders

6.  Bengals

Put me on the record as insane saying the Bengals will make the playoffs at 8-7-1 facing the Steelers where they will lose in the WC round sending ML to a playoff record of 0-8. 

1 hour ago, cincyhokie said:

Just for the pure entertainment value.

Seeing how the Steelers are now 8-5 and the Bengals would need them to lose out to include a loss at home to Cleveland, we can consider the AFCN a lost cause.

What about the WC?

The Broncos who are 8-5 have left:  NE, at KC, Oak  (not a crazy idea to think they could lose out)

The Dolphins who are 8-5 and just lost Tannehill for the year have left:  at NYJ, at Buffalo, and NE (not a crazy idea to think they could lose out without Tannehill finishing 8-8)

The Ravens who are 7-5 have left:  at NE, Phil, at Pitt, and at Cin (Not a crazy idea to think they could finish 8-8)

Let's start with next week:  The Bengals have to beat Pitt.  Then the Dolphins and Broncos have to lose.  The Dolphins at NYJ and the Broncos to NE.  Ravens should beat Philadelphia at home.  Cin:  6-7-1  Dolphins:  8-6  Broncos:  8-6  Ravens:  8-6

Then things start to get interesting.  The Bengals have to beat Houston on the road, the Steelers lock up the AFCN with a win against Baltimore.  The Broncos have to lose on the road against the Chiefs.  And the Dolphins have to lose at Buffalo.  

That would put the Bengals at 7-7-1.  The Steelers at 9-6.  The Ravens at 8-7.  The Broncos at 8-7 and the Dolphins at 8-7.  

Then the Bengals would need to beat the Ravens. The Broncos would have to lose at home against Oakland.  And the Dolphins would have to lose at home against NE.

The Bengals would be in at 8-7-1 with the 6th seed playing....wait for it....Pittsburgh on the road in the WC round.   This is assuming the Colts (6-7) and Titans (7-6) won't finish higher than 8-8.  Likely.  

So you're saying there's a chance??!!!!

1.  Patriots

2.  Chiefs

3.  Steelers

4.  Texans

5.  Raiders

6.  Bengals

Put me on the record as insane saying the Bengals will make the playoffs at 8-7-1 facing the Steelers where they will lose in the WC round sending ML to a playoff record of 0-8. 

I like your positive spin and the way you break it down. There is a slim chance, true. 

Add to all this the possibility of Green returning by the Baltimore game and fresh for the playoffs. Maybe a win on the road at Shitsburgh isn't so crazy. 

Aww , look at us. Speculating an improbable outcome, like teenage fan boys. It's almost Xmas , so you know what I'm putting on my list. 

10 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Lol!  

It's a much better thing if this team does not make the playoffs.

I still want them to beat Pittsburgh.

A win vs. Pitt, then you might as well go for broke hoping for playoffs.   That will give them 6 wins and probably knock them out of the top half of the draft.   A win vs. Pitt and there isn't much difference vs. losing out vs. one and done in the playoffs.

Give me the win out scenario at this point and hopefully make playoffs or at least do what you can to keep Pitt out.

1 minute ago, COB said:

Agreed.  Keeping Pittsburgh out is big for me as well.  We end the season with the Ravens, could be in a awkward position there!

Could be odd.   If it's beat the Ravens and then Pitt goes.   I say tank the game, period.    Fire Lewis if he doesn't.   These are the last days of Ben Roethlisberger keeping him from another Superbowl has to be priority.

Hopefully the Burfict Storm arises this week. 

Bottom line:  Bengals have to win out.  Cheer for the Pats, Chiefs, and Raiders against Denver.  Cheer for the Steelers to beat the Ravens.  Cheer for Jets, Bills, and Pats against the Dolphins.  AND cheer for the Jets in week 17 against the Bills.

Here's why:

Recap:

Week 15.

If, if, if...

The Bengals can win Sunday, it's likely they'll be trailing the Dolphins (at NYJ w/o Tannehill) and Broncos (vs. Pats) by 1.5 games with 2 to go.  Things could get interesting.

If that happens...

Bengals 6-7-1.  Dolphins 8-6.  Broncos 8-6.

Still a long shot but consider the next week...

Week 16.

Bengals at Texans (AJ back?).  Broncos at Chiefs on Sunday night football.  Dolphins at Bills without Tannehill.

If the cards fall right and the Bengals win with the Broncos and Dolphins losing...

Week 17 lines up with:

Bengals (7-7-1) vs. Ravens with AJ back.  Dolphins (8-7) vs. Pats.  Broncos (8-7) vs. Raiders.  

Would be fun to have it come down to week 17....

Other teams to consider and their schedule:

Ravens:  vs. Eagles, at Steelers, at Bengals  (2 losses in there?)  Could be 8-8  IF Bengals win out, Ravens are OUT

Titans:  at Chiefs, at Jacksonville, vs. Texans (2 losses in there?)  Could be 8-8 or win the division at 9-7 IF Bengals win out, they'll finish ahead of the 2nd place AFCS team.

Texans:  vs. Jags, vs. Bengals, at Titans (Should win division) Could be 8-8 or win the division at 9-7 IF Bengals win out, they'll finish ahead of the 2nd place AFCS team.

Bills:  vs. Browns, vs. Dolphins, at NYJ.  This one is tricky.  Need the Bills to lose one here but they have to beat the Dolphins.  Can the Browns do it?  Can the Jets finish strong knocking both the Dolphins and Bills out of the playoffs?  

Colts: at Vikings, at Raiders, vs. Jags (at least 2 loss in there?)  Could be at most 8-8  They are toast.

Soooooo.....assuming the Bengals HAVE to win out (AND that happens), they'll finish ahead of the Ravens (losses at Pitt and at Cin)  They'll finish ahead of the Titans or Texans who will finish in 2nd at 8-8.  

Summary:  It's a long shot.  But not the longest of long shots.  

I don't understand why nobody is talking about Bills, I can see that Dolphins and Bills is biggest problem for Bengals, as Bills have to beat Dolphins. And Bills beat Browns for sure and Patriots beat Dolphins for sure as well. So that mean Jets have to beat both Bills and Dolphins, I don't see this happen at all

1 hour ago, Dimster28 said:

I don't understand why nobody is talking about Bills, I can see that Dolphins and Bills is biggest problem for Bengals, as Bills have to beat Dolphins. And Bills beat Browns for sure and Patriots beat Dolphins for sure as well. So that mean Jets have to beat both Bills and Dolphins, I don't see this happen at all

Good point.  I missed that one.  The Bills could very well run the table and end up at 9-7.  With a win against the Browns, and a needed win against the Dolphins, it would put the Bills at 8-7 in the final week.  The Jets would have to beat them in NY.  Or the Bengals would be out.

9 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Good point.  I missed that one.  The Bills could very well run the table and end up at 9-7.  With a win against the Browns, and a needed win against the Dolphins, it would put the Bills at 8-7 in the final week.  The Jets would have to beat them in NY.  Or the Bengals would be out.

So, go Jets!?! 

4 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Dolphins beating the Jets 27-10 in the 3rd QTR.

So much for that!  With a win, the Dolphins would be 9-5 and knock the Bengals out of the WC race.

Oh well.  

The Bengals have defeated both of these teams, the Dolphins far more than the Jets. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Never mind Billy. He gets grumpier every year. :blush:

I feel everyone's pain.  My own too.  Funny thing having kids.  They've really helped my perspective on what's really important.

On a positive note, death is inevitable.  Owners die physically.  Players like Brady, Manning, and Roethelisberger get old and retire.  Change is coming at some point.  

I heard a cool story of a guy who listened to game 7 of the WS at his dad's grave this past October.   Cubs fan.  Anything is possible in the grand scheme.  

1 hour ago, cincyhokie said:

Hey!  The fun lasted for a week.  On to the offsif it came.  meh. 

I wasn't complaining so much about the thread as I was our chance to get in. Sorry hokie if I rode in a little rough.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Never mind Billy. He gets grumpiel year. :blush: 

True. I've been building steam since 1968 and I see no relief in sight. The realization of me going to my grave without a Cincinnati Superbowl win haunts me. The way my luck runs Is is the year I kick the bucket is the year the Bengals finally achieve the impossible!

• Like 1

Ok Billy, I fear the same thing. 

My plan:  1.  Die.   2. Have my head chopped off and sent to the Ted Williams head freezing place.  3.  When the Bengals get into the Super Bowl, have my family retrieve head.  4.  Thaw head.  5.  Set in front of tube while the Bengals play the Super Bowl.

I know I won't be magically reanimated, but if I can't watch the Bengals win a super bowl, this is as close as I can get.

• Like 1