Target Free Agents - 2017

kingwilly

I think we all have a sense of what kind of additions would benefit this team, in the form of Free Agent signings.
 That said, we also all know this team does not make a big splash.

BUUUUT ---- this is just fantasy land. So post here which upcoming Free Agents would help the team, be a god fit, and look good in stripes.

My targets would be ILB, WR, SS,  C and OT.

Specifically:

ILB - Dont'a Hightower - would be looking for 5yr-$50M 80% guaranteed. other guys to conisder... Courtney Upshaw, Melvin Ingram (OLB), Alx Okafor (OLB)

LT - Matt Khalil - guessing he will command 4yr-$32M 70% guaranteed. not much out there but Whit is an UFA after the season, and while I'd like him to kick inside and them bring along one of the young guys, who knows what they'll do...

WR - Michael Floyd - probably in the 3yr - $22M range, no idea on guaranteed money. others that might fit would be Alshon Jeffrey (but he wants big coin), or maybe Desean Jackson?

SS - John Cyprien - guessing he's in the 4yr-$30M range, or Tony Jefferson (reminds me of Reggie Nelson)

C - Joe Hawley - I estimate he'd be about 3yr-$12M to bring in. right now he's the 11ths highest paid C in league.

I'm not factoring lots of stuff but wanted to look at younger guys coming of their rookie deals, or mid-level guys who would be good players for the Bengals systems.

Considered a bust in Pittsburgh in their heavy LB focused defense.   The former no. 1 pick LB from Georgia would be an excellent fit as SLB in the Bengals 4-3.   Jarvis Jones.

The guy isn't quick enough to be the pass rushing monster they are accustomed to from their LBs but would fit real nice with us.

Another fit would be Timmons but he has miles on him.

Khalil easily is my favorite center to watch on All 22.   Issues with Center are interesting:

1. Bodine has improved up to a low level average Center instead of putrid, yeah.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Whit return as LG with a chance to move Boling.   But yeah, I would take Khalil no problem and build around him but that's not going to happen.

Considering they still have 3 more seasons of Boling under contract, you just know they will stick with him and pay him every last cent.

If we are trying to figure out what the Bengals might do in free agency, might I make a suggestion ??

Start with compiling a list of all the old washed up dudes and then work your way down from there.
QB Matt Schaub, RB Chris Johnson, WR Vincent Jackson.  You know, guys like that.

Oh, and make it a priority to resign your own old washed up dudes like Winston, Dansby and Gilberry.

Sorry everyone, I'm just not feeling real positive lately... Ugh...

• Like 1

No need to be sorry, it's the same shit ever year, but if they want to improve it needs to stop.

Every year I swear they have no clue how to run an NFL team. I'm not saying break the bank, get every big name player out there, but it would be nice to see them make an effort to get better by signing an above average player.

I doubt that will happen, hopefully this is the year it changes, and we actually see some players who come in and make a difference! 

A RT please, it needs to happen this year!

If they're actually willing to sign someone, I hope they go center or safety.  I'm pretty happy with the development of our new no. 2 receiver, the kid from Pitt.

Draft linebacker and tackle high.  Best just acknowledge Whit is headed inside pretty soon, Fisher could bust or go to guard, Ogbuehi has done nothing to give me any hope.  He should thank his lucky stars the Bengals drafted him.  Thanks to his draft spot they'll nurse him along for the length of his contract, but it's going to be tough to watch.

On the o-line.   If they can get it back to previous year's levels that fixes a lot of problems on the offense.    

1. Winston isn't a starter

2. Whit is a free agent

3. Ced and Fisher are a gamble as starters at this point.   

So you have both tackle spots open.    Whit has to be resigned.   Then do you extend Z?  He struggled early but has been solid lately.      

Knowing the Bengals extensions for Whit and Z suck all FA dollars under the Hobson cap approach.   As a matter of fact, Hobson is typing that soon.  Not to mention Dre.

Reality the team is going to focus on their own and avoid going cash over cap to avoid dead money.   Bengal fans will have to pick between Dre, Whit, and Z.  Then look for aging vets in which sometimes they hit for a year or two and sometimes they flop.

I like that Dre has finally come along, but they also have Dennard and WJ3 from this years draft.  Shaw doesn't hurt the mix either.
Pacman, while getting older, is signed through 2018 and could take on a lesser role.  I don't know if it's smart to keep Dre at a huge price.
Draft another CB a little later to add depth and bring along.

Whit cost them 8 million for this season.  I think they have to get at least another year out of him due to the lack of development by Fisher and Ogboogie.
Can they get him cheaper than 8 million ??  I don't know.  A 1st and 2nd round picks on players that complete question marks and maybe busts ??  UGH !!!
The players they could have had in those spots is saddening.  Tell me we couldn't have used SS Landon Collins or ILB Eric Kendricks.

They can't just let Zeitler walk away, like they've done too much recently.

Well, let's see...

Whitworth: probably forced to resign because of Ced and Fisher flops (tho Fisher deserves some more snaps). Made $9 million this year and I doubt he takes a cut.

Peko: time to cut bait here so of course they will give him a new deal because he's a "leader". Should be cheaper than the $4.5 million he made this year tho.

LaFell: will be back with a raise from $2.5 million.

Kirkpatrick: should resign so they will let him walk, draft a corner in round one...

Zeitler: should resign so they will let him walk, put Westerman at RG next season.

Nugent: oh come on of course he will be back!

Winston: see Whit but cheaper.

Peerman: will be back for ST.

Hunt: might actually be let go. Won't be picked up anywhere else, will be resigned in August after an injury.

Gilberry: will be resigned in September after Hunt gets hurt.

Thompson: hey they already paid Peko...

Rex Burkheart: 3 years, $15 million.Then sits on the bench next to Hewitt all year.

15 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Just for the record at this point some of the cap sights have the Bengals at 36 mil under to start the offseason.

That's assuming no growth in the cap with about 6/7 mil rollover from the previous year for the Bengals.

Matt Schaub, come on down !!!

Seriously, don't we know how this story is going to end ??
I think it's easier to just say they have no money so don't expect anything.

Hopefully it's Brandon LaFell.     That guy has been worth it and a very good signing, IMO.      Even with low offensive outputs following the injury to AJ Green this year's unit is gaining more yards than last year's.   They don't cash in with touchdowns.

LaFell's production so far has been comparable to what they normally get out of #2.   He already has more TDs and his on pace to be slightly less yards than Marvin Jones last year.  He's just about as production as Sanu is in Atlanta.  

Hopefully they can bring him back at a slight bump and not have to deal with teams going nuts like they did with Jones and Sanu. 

23 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Hopefully it's Brandon LaFell.     That guy has been worth it and a very good signing, IMO.      Even with low offensive outputs following the injury to AJ Green this year's unit is gaining more yards than last year's.   They don't cash in with touchdowns.

LaFell's production so far has been comparable to what they normally get out of #2.   He already has more TDs and his on pace to be slightly less yards than Marvin Jones last year.  He's just about as production as Sanu is in Atlanta.  

Hopefully they can bring him back at a slight bump and not have to deal with teams going nuts like they did with Jones and Sanu. 

Yeah, LaFell has actually gotten decent as the season has gone on. The missed time in camp and practice showed early on but clearly he's gotten into better sync with Andy and the rest of the offense. I don't have a problem with giving him a bump in pay and another year or two.

49 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think LaFell has been front and center in the season-long Nobody Can Get Open saga.  He's had some nice moments, but I think he is no better than just a guy.

Like I said, he's decent. No more. In a perfect world, yeah, look for an upgrade, but the reality is that the Bengals have a bunch of big needs at other positions. 

ETA Hobson thinks it will be Green/Boyd/Core in 2017.

That could be, tho I share his concern over Core's lack of snaps so far. Risky to bet on a guy we've barely seen. Fortunately it looks like we'll see more in the last few games...

And he’ll get more snaps now because it appears James Wright is going to miss time

I nominate Wright as the new Mr. Glass.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

I think LaFell has been front and center in the season-long Nobody Can Get Open saga.  He's had some nice moments, but I think he is no better than just a guy.

Just a guy is a decent FA signing and completely different than Coles or Boyd    Both LaFell and TO have filled the roles up to expectation as FA signings.

They should explore extending him.   Somebody has to be open they are top 10 passing offense even after multiple games missed by Eifert and AJ Green.