Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Much-needed top 10 pick - can't miss on this one.  Probably need to go OT, which sucks after investing 2 day one picks on the same position over a year ago. 

Of course none of this prevents them from drafting another CB, WR, LB or even a RB if a can't-miss scenario unfolds.  In fact I would be a big fan of getting a top LB, they are going to need one.

I can't see them drafting a DT or DE that high with the current stable depth they have there (even w/o Peko).  Most likely will try to find the usual high-ceiling bargains in the 2nd-4th rounds at those positions.  

I think OT is ok with another year of Whit and Fisher at RT. And I doubt they give up on Ced that fast, if only because it's $2.5 million to keep him vs. $4.2 million dead money to cut. All this is probably to the good since OT is super weak this year and any pick there at 9 looks like a reach.

I'm all for RB if they don't keep Rex. Hill is just a guy and Gio is coming off an ACL so they either need Burkhead or a pretty good prospect. WR...meh, there will likely be value there like Williams but I'd rather keep LaFell and keep developing Boyd and Core.

D-line and LB are where I'd look hardest if they don't need a RB.

Anyone looking at the LB corps and NOT seeing a massive need for talent is missing something.

Here's a fun fact:  Michael Johnson is still under contract through 2018.
While it becomes more affordable to cut him this year, does anyone think that will happen ??
Not me.  There is no reason to think that will happen.

I don't think they go DT early if Billings is ready to go.  If not, that changes things dramatically.
How thrilled are they with bringing LaFell back ??  Letting Core develop on the field instead of the PS ??

Hill is cheap and I expect him back in 2017 with little doubt.
Will they move on from PacMan or will daddy Marvin keep his beloved son around ??

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Reuben Foster manning the middle of the LB corps by any stretch.
If they don't bring back LaFell, Mike Williams would be nice next to AJ for three seasons.
AJ, Williams, Boyd and Corp as your 1-4 ??  Yep, no concerns from me there.

The 2nd round is where they can make some money in my opinion.
The top Center and Guard prospects should still be there for the taking.
A bruising RB like Foreman could be there as well.

A lot of options with the comp picks as well.

The Dansby plan at LB didn't work as well as I hoped.   But I'd roll that dice again  over drafting a LB high.   They simply ask them to specialize roles and get subbed too much and don't blitz them often enough.

I think they have two roster spots open (Dansby and Rey M.)  I think Vigil gets first run at the snap left open by Dansby.   Vincent Rey keeps same role.   Dawson is probably on the roster bubble with Flowers and Roach.

Hopefully Burfict dedicates himself this offseason and doesn't come back out of shape.

I honestly think they have to draft at least two LB's if not addressed in free agency.
If they aren't willing to go after a high end free agent LB (yeah right) they need to address it early.

I think that's why I would favor Foster early.  He plays the middle and I believe Vigil will be given every shot in 2017 on the outside opposite Burfict.
If they don't get more impact from the LB position, I don't see much improvement coming from the defense in 2017.
They were horrible most of the season.

Someone mentioned them keeping MJ. Recall how long they kept Geathers, or even John Thornton for that matter. Well after they were producing on the field. I expect the same for MJ. 

Hunt will depart, a new project will be selected and the Dline will look similar to this year. Peko *might* go, which would give Billings and Hardison vital action. But I put that at 50/50.

LB is a big need, I think we all see it. Dansby was average but slow, FNR all but disappeared. Both depart. They should go high, r1-r2, to secure the backer group. It just depends on the kind of fit they want, pure MLB, or the cover hybrid this team can't seem to get its hands on. 

1 hour ago, kingwilly said:

Someone mentioned them keeping MJ. Recall how long they kept Geathers, or even John Thornton for that matter. Well after they were producing on the field. I expect the same for MJ. 

Hunt will depart, a new project will be selected and the Dline will look similar to this year. Peko *might* go, which would give Billings and Hardison vital action. But I put that at 50/50.

Sad but likely true. I will not be surprised if they let Dre walk (following COB's theory of just draft a corner every other year and you'll never have to pay one big money again) and look at CB at 9. Zeitler reportedly wants top-guard money (which he deserves) in the $8-10 million/year range per Lap. They won't do that because they know they can get TJ Johnson or Trey Hopkins for a Boling-like $4-5 million per. Burkhead will go where he can start and they'll draft a back to replace him after 2017 (they're already paying 1 RB, they aren't going to spring for 2) in the second or third round. Whit will use his leverage to make sure his best bud Peko gets at least a chance. Winston, Peerman and Thompson will all be back for low-cash deals. LaFell will get something like 2 years/$6 million, a little bump. Finally they'll sign some old, washed-up dudes at LB and DE who'll get cut at the end of August, and push a big pile of money/cap space into 2018 on the pretext of having to pay Eifert.

Or am I just too cynical?

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

Sad but likely true. I will not be surprised if they let Dre walk (following COB's theory of just draft a corner every other year and you'll never have to pay one big money again) and look at CB at 9. Zeitler reportedly wants top-guard money (which he deserves) in the $8-10 million/year range per Lap. They won't do that because they know they can get TJ Johnson or Trey Hopkins for a Boling-like $4-5 million per. Burkhead will go where he can start and they'll draft a back to replace him after 2017 (they're already paying 1 RB, they aren't going to spring for 2) is the second or third round. Whit will use his leverage to make sure his best bud Peko gets at least a chance. Winston, Peerman and Thompson will all be back for low-cash deals. LaFell will get something like 2 years/$6 million, a little bump. Finally they'll sign some old, washed-up dudes at LB and DE who'll get cut at the end of August.

Or am I just too cynical?

Too cynical.   Bengals deserve credit for using their cap room to retain productive players they've drafted.   They will also add 1 or 2 low tier FAs that may or may not provide production.   It seems they hit about 50% on stop gap FAs.

The Bengals deserve criticism on the basis of not going cash over cap or maximizing the cap in a singular year for that year's team.

46 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Too cynical.  

I probably would have agreed a couple days ago, but after listening to Lap on Bengals Line last night...ugh. For anyone who didn't hear it:

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/podcast-bengals-line-lap-urban-and-15429690/

He seems convinced Zeitler is as good as gone. Says he already turning down one pretty good offer. Likewise believes they will let Dre test the market and hope he doesn't attract too big a deal for their budget. (Also believes that if Dennard had shown more there'd be less chance they'd pay Dre.) Sometimes that strategy works (Moobs) sometimes not (Sanu). Had some pretty harsh words about Hill and all the praise in the world for Rex but didn't sound too hopeful there either. Now Dave could be wrong but he's usually pretty tuned in. Hopefully in the end it works out but right now it all looks kind of gloomy.

If any coaches are willing to leave this year, I'm hoping they're all named Alexander.  

Brown's willingness to stick with Zampese as OC is folly.  He failed.  This isn't a learn on the job type situation.  This is the pinnacle, the NFL.  You get a job a coordinator's job in the NFL you should sure as hell should know how to do it.  He's got all the knowledge and experience he's going to have.

Either Alexander couldn't produce the line play to execute Zampese's offense, or Zampese couldn't design plays that fit the abilities of our offensive linemen.  One of those two coaches monumentally fucked up our season.  

Both of them coming back?  Weak leadership, not demanding enough.

Alright, hokie, army, COB, come over here a second.. <hands out three bats, sets up three tees> OK, you guys ready? Here's Hobson:

No cool words yet, Marvin Lewis says. No T-Shirt motto to the printer just now.

No Re-Boot. No House Cleaning. No Do Your Job or Pound The Rock.

But as he began his 15th season coaching the Bengals Monday, Lewis left no doubt that he is driven to find out what drove his Bengals from the ranks of the postseason for the first time in six years and just for the second time since the division sweep of 2009.

Marvin is driven! To find out! Why they didn't make the playoffs! Why, oh why, could that be, fellas? Can any of you help our poor head coach out as to just what the problem is? :grin:

The fact that he actually said that is offensive.  (Well, not really, but you get my point).
Leave the post season alone.  They didn't even sport a winning record.
I think it speaks volumes to what we should expect in 2017.

Be driven to find out why your coaches couldn't produce or make adjustments.
Be driven to find out why the players didn't execute.
Be driven to find out why the team can't play an entire game.
Be driven to find out why players are allowed to leave without a plan to backfill.
Be driven to find out why in game time management sucks so bad.
Be driven to find out why you haven't learned when to and not to challenge plays.
Be driven to find out why better players are habitually left of the bench to rot.

Jesus, I know they like to say how technical all of this is, but it's not that d*mn hard to see.
8-8 in 2017...

• Like 2

On 03/01/2017 at 2:26 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Anyone looking at the LB corps and NOT seeing a massive need for talent is missing something.

Here's a fun fact:  Michael Johnson is still under contract through 2018.
While it becomes more affordable to cut him this year, does anyone think that will happen ??
Not me.  There is no reason to think that will happen.

I don't think they go DT early if Billings is ready to go.  If not, that changes things dramatically.
How thrilled are they with bringing LaFell back ??  Letting Core develop on the field instead of the PS ??

Hill is cheap and I expect him back in 2017 with little doubt.
Will they move on from PacMan or will daddy Marvin keep his beloved son around ??

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Reuben Foster manning the middle of the LB corps by any stretch.
If they don't bring back LaFell, Mike Williams would be nice next to AJ for three seasons.
AJ, Williams, Boyd and Corp as your 1-4 ??  Yep, no concerns from me there.

The 2nd round is where they can make some money in my opinion.
The top Center and Guard prospects should still be there for the taking.
A bruising RB like Foreman could be there as well.

A lot of options with the comp picks as well.

2nd round could also throw up an additional pick if they trade McCarron - ?????

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Alright, hokie, army, COB, come over here a second.. <hands out three bats, sets up three tees> OK, you guys ready?

Dude, you hand the three of us bats and give us free reign and we are f*cking that place up !!!
COB might even bring his neighbors dog along.  That joker is going to be good and pissed off after the beat down it took.
We will roll up out of that joint and bust out a Breakfast Club quote:

"The next time I have to come in here, I'm crackin' skulls"

IMO,  Bengals operate too much like winning the Superbowl has more to do with being lucky or the stars lining up vs. something you take.

They operate a hard cap.  Probably the hardest in the league.  They reserve cap space from current years for future years.  They draft with the future in mind.

Concepts I think that are good but haven't been proven to be Championship good.

I expected the window to close at some point but not 2016.  But it did.   For me, 2016 isn't that upsetting.   It underscores the failures when they had better chances in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

To me 2017 represents a the first chance to see if this Bengal approach can be sustained or if it wasn't  just a good stretch of above normal drafting.  We'll see. 

• Like 2

Over the cap has their comp pick projections out: http://overthecap.com/projecting-2017-compensatory-draft-picks/

For the Bengals they predict two 4ths for Jones and Sanu, and two 6ths for Nelson and Moobs. No 3rds sucks but at least comp picks can be traded now, so they've got 11 picks to wheel and deal with if they want.

Yep, about what I was expecting.
Two 4th's, but thought we'd get a 5th and a 6th as opposed to two 6th's.

11 picks huh ??  Yeah, coupled with the ability to trade those comp picks, they should be looking to make a move.
I know depth is needed, but 2-3 impact players would pay HUGE benefits to this team now and into the future.
I'm not suggesting they trade the other 8 or 9 picks to make that happen, but you get my point.

No reason to simply refresh the practice squad with new players.

If AJ is on the market and you can trade comp picks.   Maybe a package of AJ and mid round pick to get a higher return? 

Either way.   If we get to April and people are still talking about how awesome RBs are.   Even if they resign Rex,  I'm going to want RB.    I'm of this thinking that if you increase production and the threat from the backfield it cures a lot of team issues more than any other position at this time.

Superior Rb talent and competition with Rex/Hill/Gio  helps resolve suspect blocking.   Helps protect a Qb.  Red zone.  Bigger window to throw to Green, Boyd, LaFell, Eifert.    Protects defense if you can get a lead.

• Like 1