Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I'd take that 2nd rounder in a heartbeat as well, but it's been said the Bengals are asking for the moon.
I would assume by that comment, that a 1st would be the moving point for them.

If it were my team in need of a QB, would I rather McCarron or taking a chance on one of the guys coming out ??
That's the question teams need to ask themselves and I think it's at least a wash.  I'd take him as a starter here with the offense as is.
McCarron had the playoff game he started against the Steelers won with his toss to Green until we all know what happened from there.

That counts for a lot in my book.

If you believe the talking heads there are good players in the top 10 but none of them stand out from each other.   Trading up should be reserved for those teams that are nervous about getting a QB.

Something good is going to fall to the Bengals.   The worse case scenario is the Draft's best CB or S is sitting there at 9.     Which is a great situation.

Probably what will happen is a QB or maybe 2 go in the top 8 and now the Bengals have a tougher choice with little trade back options.

I expect Solomon Thomas and Jamal Adams to go top 5, when you combine on the field production with smarts and leadership, those two guys stand out from the rest.  You will get a good player at 9 no doubt but there are guys in this draft that are special and those special guys will likely be gone by 9.

I will be happy with most anything except a drafting of Joe Mixon...i hope this team gets that some guys are just not worth it no matter the talent.  I would moderately unhappy with Fournette who i feel is used up and not well suited to the NFL and i would not be thrilled with Barnett because i think the guy is simply a better college player than a pro.

A guy i want 5th round or so is Joe Williams from Utah, fell for him watching the IU/Utah bowl game where he single handedly won the game and as i watch tape of Marcus Williams or Garett Bolles i am constantly drawn to Joe and find myself playing more attention to him than the other more highly touted prospects.  The theft thing as a freshman is a meh issue in my mind, the quitting football thing is bigger but he was a much better player after he came back so maybe he figured out that football was important to him afterall.

With just days to go the usual clouds of smoke are being pumped out at a furious rate. Tons of rumors flying; 99% of them are bogus of course but it's fun to watch. One of the latest is that the Bengals want to trade up to the No. 2 hole to grab Leonard Fournette. Now, I'm probably the biggest Fournette pimp out there, but even I think that's cray-cray.

One interesting thing noted by some folks on twitter last night: the silence of the Lapham. In past years, Dave has had their pick nailed days ahead of the draft. This year, not a peep. Seems like he was told to shut it. He did say early in the year that he thought they wanted a DE, and I believe him. If they are trying to trade up, it isn't for Fournette, and I continue to believe that the interest they've shown in him is mostly for show in hopes of encouraging someteam ahead of them to take him, and push a guy they want one pick closer to them.

That's not to say Fournette wouldn't be a consideration if he's there at 9 but I don't think it's how they hope things fall. My guess is that we end up with Barnett, who will be productive and an immediate upgrade to MJ, but like Justin Smith may not live up to top-10 expectations.

There are many I won't be mad with.

I still think DE or WR are the two that make the most sense. They really need to improve the pass rush and they were looking WR in the first last year. Boyd and another year of LaFell won't change that thought.

I saw a recent article suggesting they are moving away from Barnett but the funny thing is he's the one guy that I thought made a ton of sense.

IMO,  Ross or McCaffery are the closest to the Trifecta.    They would be highly graded to be meet BPA,  they fill a need, and fit the system enough and play position to have immediate impact.

Supposedly Ross has been taken off some boards due to injury concerns, but I've also read this year in particular some 20 first round prospects have some sort of medical red flag.    Just an oddity for this year. 

Fournette would be my top choice but there is that question about what running scheme does he fit.   Is it the scheme they ran in 2014 when Hill had his most success or the more Zone emphasis they've run in 15 and 16? 

Of course Thomas and Garrett would be Great picks as well but I don't see them getting to 9. 

In my mind there are four "can't miss" guys in this draft, guys that are leaders are solid off-the-field.  Guys who are football nerds, eat, drink, sleep football.  Guys who have the freakish athleticism to become stars at their position.  There are two guys in the draft that are only one flaw away from being in that group and a bunch of ?.

Guys i put in the first group are: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Jamal Adams, DB, LSU

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Christian McCaffery, RB/WR/KR, Stanford

Guys in the second group are:

Corey Davis, WR, Central Michigan

Rueben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Thomas and Adams will be gone by 9, Howard is not at a position of strong need for the Bengals, and McCaffrey may not be an every down player so his impact might not meet the requirements of a top ten selection (see Reggie Bush).

Davis'concern for me is in translating his game to the NFL, some can do it, some can't, won't know until training camp.  Fosters' issue is pretty evident, can he make good decisions off-the-field because everything he does on-the-field is exactly what the Bengals need.

To me, the two best choices require that the Bengals move up, and there seems to be plenty of partners willing to drop back to the Bengals range.  My target is Thomas, meets the biggest need and is an amazing player with a great pedigree.

It would be hard think that they wouldn't score more points than last year if they ended up with Ross, Mixon, and Gonzalez.  

Despite the decline in offensive line, injury, and offensive skill position turnover they gained yards and struggled cashing them in for points.    Sure the offensive line could further decline spoiling it all but with this offensive draft haul plus a little good luck in the health department.   I'd have to think you'd be lighting up a scoreboard.

Interesting stuff from Lap on the podcast.

Not high on Barnett, doesn't think he's a top 10 pick. Might be a target if the Bengals trade down (same for Harris).

Doesn't think Mike Williams is in the top 10 either. Does think Ross is because of rare speed.

Reuben Foster "might be the best player in the draft" and is "unbelievably talented." Compares to guys like Ray Lewis. But has off-field baggage, will need help and direction there.

Allen a bit slow and undersized but a good player. Might not be top 10 worthy.

Not sure if Reddick is a top 10 guy.

RBs: Have to consider Fournette if he's there. "I really like" Dalvin Cook, has off-field concerns, Cook & McCaffery both more like Gio. Mixon a no at 9, would have been top 10-15 guy if didn't punch women.

Likes Peppers, does everything, gives you a lot of versatility. "Gotta talk about him at 9."

Hard to fit Howard in but would be worth the pick.

Cornerback could happen if draft falls that way.

Thinks they will get a great player at 41.

Dan picks Foster. Lap thinks Foster will be gone and picks Ross.

Gotta go defense with the first pick, since there are not o-lineman worthy of it.  If it means having to draft Foster and taking a risk with another headache personality - so be it, although if a worthwhile S/CB/DE/DT is there, do that instead.

Foster is the one player with a rap sheet I'd take a chance on - because he may very well be worth it. 

I HATE the idea of drafting a RB or WR at #9. They need to rebuild the defense to keep them in games - the offense is what it is, you can find RB's/WR's later on, there aren't any WR's or RB's in this draft at #9 that are going to have the kind of impact they need right now.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I would be shocked if Foster goes before #9

Yeah, me too. But Lap was really, really, really high on him. Listen for yourself, Lap was pretty low-key for most of the discussion but became very animated talking about Foster.  So maybe we're missing something.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals-Booth-Podcast-Draft-Preview/776b037a-360c-404f-a976-63ce95254cf4

6 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I HATE the idea of drafting a RB or WR at #9. They need to rebuild the defense to keep them in games - the offense is what it is, you can find RB's/WR's later on, there aren't any WR's or RB's in this draft at #9 that are going to have the kind of impact they need right now.

I can't agree on WR. I think Ross would have a huge impact opposite Green. Put Boyd in the slot where he belongs and add in Eifert and you have a huge offensive threat. It would even help the crappy o-line out by forcing defenders out of the box. On RB, I think Fournette would be huge and would force the Bengals to finally seriously commit to the run, something they blather on about every year but never do. But he'll be gone by 9 and they seem to be in love with Punchy Joe. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded back up into the late first to get him.

Best case scenario at 9 is probably Solomon Thomas slipping, which he is now doing in some projections. I'd be perfectly fine with that pick.

In regards to immediate impact (2017 season)  the biggest opportunity is RB.   They lost Rex, Gio is rehabbing a knee, and Hill is up and down.  At a min there's a roster spot vacant.  Plenty of snaps and carries available.

WR would have to fight for snaps against Vets,  however Ross brings an element they don't have and a portion that's easy to incorporate which is go routes.   Even if he's raw in every other area you could get him a couple  targets down the field like they did James Wright when he wasn't hurt.   Also kick returns.   They are down 1 WR with cutting of Wright so there's instant roster room too.

They have roster room for 1 LB by my guess without cutting into vet players.   I'm not sure they'll have snaps available without injury.   Not sure the Bengals will rely on a rookie over Burfict, Rey, Vigil or the vet in Minter either.

Secondary - forget about it.   We know the story there.  They are going to go with their vets and stash a young secondary player.

D-line - They are down Hunt and Peko.   They've added fringe scrub in the Jacksonville end, BUT also have a stockpile of DTs that people have pointed to as potential.   So I think a D-line pick stands a good chance equal to Ross to make an impact next season.

Biggest spot is RB.  If you want to wager on injury I'm sure there will be snaps available at TE eventually.

O-line there's room for 1 player without cutting into vets.   I don't think there's starting snaps available without injury.  Could have some snaps that come open due to plan A being shit canned rather early.  

I hope they pick Foster.  For one thing, he can show up and play.  Second, we need linebackers.  Third, imagine the gnashing of teeth in the AFC North if Foster turns into the stud he's projected to be.  Those offenses will have to deal with Burfict and Foster, and they won't like it.  Finally, I'm not happy to say it but I think the defense needs a new leader/defensive presence.  I think Burfict's days are numbered due to his microfracture surgery.  I hope he proves me wrong because I love him, but not too many guys play many years after that surgery.  Plus, it seems like every time I watched him play he limped around on that knee.  He just didn't look overly healthy, ever.  

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, me too. But Lap was really, really, really high on him. Listen for yourself, Lap was pretty low-key for most of the discussion but became very animated talking about Foster.  So maybe we're missing something.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals-Booth-Podcast-Draft-Preview/776b037a-360c-404f-a976-63ce95254cf4

I can't agree on WR. I think Ross would have a huge impact opposite Green. Put Boyd in the slot where he belongs and add in Eifert and you have a huge offensive threat. It would even help the crappy o-line out by forcing defenders out of the box. On RB, I think Fournette would be huge and would force the Bengals to finally seriously commit to the run, something they blather on about every year but never do. But he'll be gone by 9 and they seem to be in love with Punchy Joe. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded back up into the late first to get him.

Best case scenario at 9 is probably Solomon Thomas slipping, which he is now doing in some projections. I'd be perfectly fine with that pick.

I like Ross, but not that much I guess.  I don't think Dalton will find him enough the next 2-3 years, will be essentially wasted behind that line.  I'd prefer more of an immediate impact on defense, as they have a chance to be good just by adding a couple of good starters.  I'm sure it's up to how highly they have him ranked over-all.

8 hours ago, COB said:

I hope they pick Foster.  For one thing, he can show up and play.  Second, we need linebackers.  Third, imagine the gnashing of teeth in the AFC North if Foster turns into the stud he's projected to be.  Those offenses will have to deal with Burfict and Foster, and they won't like it.  Finally, I'm not happy to say it but I think the defense needs a new leader/defensive presence.  I think Burfict's days are numbered due to his microfracture surgery.  I hope he proves me wrong because I love him, but not too many guys play many years after that surgery.  Plus, it seems like every time I watched him play he limped around on that knee.  He just didn't look overly healthy, ever.  

Yes those are two good reasons for drafting Foster, both have to do with the uncertainty of Burfict, and  a lack of talent at that position, and the prospect of Burffict and Foster on the field at the same time.  I'd take Thomas if he falls, but am thinking that's not going to happen.  

Without an effective offensive line blocking running lanes, the best RB in the draft isn't going to do squat.

In the NFL the game is won and lost on the L.O.S. On both sides of the ball.

My opinion is we lost any advantage we had there.

See this is what I'm talking about. There are a handful of guys that won't upset me.

I'm hoping for the possibility of Thomas falling. Outside of that Foster would do wonders for the linebacking corps. RB would certainly help an area of great uncertainty. A TE would only add to the talent and cover Eifert if/when injury hits and his impending FA. Ross would be a fit but not worried about his targets as his speed would force the defense to shift and impact the offense overall. Then there are two freakish safeties that would certainly improve the secondary but that's lowest in the list for me.