Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

On 21/03/2017 at 3:00 PM, TJJackson said:

I think Uzomah has shown enough as a receiving TE that I dont want to draft another one early.

My sentiments exactly. Uzomah is more than capable of being a receiving threat either as a TE or if used in 2TE sets. Other areas of need would be better served through the draft, let Uzomah develop with play time rather than be stifled by being pushed down the pecking order and having snaps reduced

• 2 weeks later...

Little tidbit here about Kiper and McShay's latest mocks:

Kiper has Clemson's Mike Williams going No. 9 overall to the Cincinnati Bengals, and McShay has Williams falling to No. 18 overall to the Tennessee Titans...Western Michigan's Corey Davis went No. 9 overall to the Bengals in McShay's draft, and Kiper gave Davis to the Titans at No. 18. 

I've been slowly coming to the same conclusion: it will be a WR (and my bet is either Davis or Ross) at 9. As much as I'd like Fournette, I think their interest in him is purely smoke and even if he's there they will likely pass unless something very strange happens in the first 8 picks. And nothing in their offseason moves has me thinking they are seriously considering DE (though that could also be because it looks like the blue-chippers will be long gone).

I can see the logic: get a speedster opposite AJ (which is why I think Ross is in the mix) to stretch the field, same way Henry did for Chad. The problem, of course, is that it's doubtful our "offensive line" will be able to protect Dalton long enough for a play to develop. 

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Little tidbit here about Kiper and McShay's latest mocks:

I've been slowly coming to the same conclusion: it will be a WR (and my bet is either Davis or Ross) at 9. As much as I'd like Fournette, I think their interest in him is purely smoke and even if he's there they will likely pass unless something very strange happens in the first 8 picks. And nothing in their offseason moves has me thinking they are seriously considering DE (though that could also be because it looks like the blue-chippers will be long gone).

I can see the logic: get a speedster opposite AJ (which is why I think Ross is in the mix) to stretch the field, same way Henry did for Chad. The problem, of course, is that it's doubtful our "offensive line" will be able to protect Dalton long enough for a play to develop. 

We need help in other areas.  In my opinion we're pretty well set at receiver.  Boyd is better than everyone thinks, I really believe that.  Typical Mike, though.  Wants the greatest show on turf and won't stop until he dies gets it.

Oh, I totally get the argument Andy won't have time to throw the ball. But doubling down on bad decisions is the Bengals way. And as Hair always said, we are the bastard children of PB. We will throw the ball all over the yard and that's all there is to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

There's no point in getting a WR to stretch the field if the OL can't protect the QB, and they can't.

Period.

I will hurl the remote through the TV screen if we take a WR before round 5.

Again -- and yes, chant it with me: GIMME A LINEMAN

There are only a handful of Dline worth taking at 9.

There are two or three wideouts in that range. Ross, Davis, Williams all would impact the O in a positive way. 

Or Howard (who I'd prefer). 

This is a crazy deep draft for everything but QB and OT. 

Get the biggest impact at 9, then fill holes through the rest. 

Yeah, OT is weak af this year. That said, the Bengals are bringing Cam Robinson in for a pre-draft visit. They've certainly never hesitated to reach for an OT prospect they liked before (see Jones, Levi) and before the hype machine revved up Robinson was generally thought to be the best prospect and a possible top 10-15 pick.

I don't think they will take OT at 9 but you never know and if they trade down all bets are off.

• Like 1

I understand and accept taking BPA at every pick - to a point

When that BPA pick is at a position that is well set (imho: WR is the strongest position group we have at the moment) on an overall weak team, as ours is now, I think you have to move on and take a look at the SBPA (second best player available) and so on, especially in the early rounds where you need instant impact players

I am not sold on the TE. Athletic specimen? Yeah, absolutely. Productive in college? Not so much, overall.

What I'd like to see them do is trade down a few spots and get the same pass rusher they would have "reached" for at 9, and then trade the r2 pick (plus a lower round pick or 2) to move back into the tail end of r1 to pick up an OT.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I understand and accept taking BPA at every pick - to a point

When that BPA pick is at a position that is well set (imho: WR is the strongest position group we have at the moment) on an overall weak team, as ours is now, I think you have to move on and take a look at the SBPA (second best player available) and so on, especially in the early rounds where you need instant impact players

I am not sold on the TE. Athletic specimen? Yeah, absolutely. Productive in college? Not so much, overall.

What I'd like to see them do is trade down a few spots and get the same pass rusher they would have "reached" for at 9, and then trade the r2 pick (plus a lower round pick or 2) to move back into the tail end of r1 to pick up an OT.

I can go for this plan. There are many good TEs to be had later but even that isn't a must have spot. 

One of the top LBs, CBs or RBs is going to drop. If they execute your plan they might be able to steal a great player late in r1. Or a tackle. 

Round 2 from Kiper and McShay, via CJ:

41. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper: Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

On pure talent alone, McDowell might be a top-10 pick, and at 6-6 and 295 pounds, he's a physical specimen. But he didn't have a great junior season, posting just 1.5 sacks in eight games, and there are questions around the league about his effort.

McShay: T.J. Watt, DE/OLB, Wisconsin

Watt has just one year of notable production at linebacker after suffering a season-ending knee injury in 2014 and undergoing a position change from tight end. But his combine numbers showed his upside as a pass-rusher: 4.69 40, 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-8-inch broad jump at 6-foot-4 and 252 pounds.

I could totally see Watt, since it pushes Mikey's favorite button, nepotism. (Yes, that's a joke). Not sure where he would fit, though. Bengals haven't had much luck with tweener types. McDowell would be an interesting choice but even with Peko leaving they still have Hardison and Billings looking for playing time.

On 4/5/2017 at 11:07 PM, kingwilly said:

There are only a handful of Dline worth taking at 9.

There are two or three wideouts in that range. Ross, Davis, Williams all would impact the O in a positive way. 

Or Howard (who I'd prefer). 

This is a crazy deep draft for everything but QB and OT. 

Get the biggest impact at 9, then fill holes through the rest. 

Even if it was a solid year I doubt we would take a OT because the Genius Paul Alexander.Would be he completely flopped on our other two highly drafted which he could never do because he's a genius 

• Like 1

Hobs gives them Jonathan Allen in the latest media mock.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-on/e6de485e-8c4d-47ca-bacb-090bb2bb7bc4

I've seen more and more mocks lately with Allen slipping. It would be an interesting choice. The rationale for him falling is that he's kind of a tweener, plus injury and longevity issues due to alleged arthritic shoulder problems. Not sure if I like the idea or hate it. Would definitely be better than Taco.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, ArmyBengal said:

You know who I hate the most I've seen mentioned at #9 ??

Taco fucking Charlton

Seriously, this guy isn't even a first round dude, let alone #9.

I will vomit and then proceed to skip on the season all together.
ANYONE BUT THAT DUDE...

I would vomit too, but I think's that draft experts going on perceived "need" instead of past behavior. 

Stick to BPA at 9 and 41 and they'll hit a homerun.   Then if the football gods are looking upon them favorably nobody will care.   There are several combo of players I would love between 9 and 41.   Too many to list.

Right now Mike Williams and Joe Mixon would have me cracking open a few more draft beers.

Jamal Adams - Especially if they issue #33 to him (God bless you David Fulcher)

Fournette and McDowell - yes.   

In reality, I'm not sure if it means anything in real football terms.   People get jacked up all the time over drafted players.    The Bengals just signed the 45th overall pick from the 2013 draft and I'm 100% sure that would have been viewed A+ at the time given the dislike of Rey.    Which by the way was another homerun pick on draft day that sunk a little (I still think Rey was a underrated blue collar LB)

Bengals stick to the conventional draft experts they'll probably 6  or 7 top 150 guys everyone will jacked up about.   They go off script and there will be hand wringing for a while.

That's the fun of the draft.

@amphar: Yeah, every year around this time I remember a quote from Brian Billick on the dangers of all the draft hype. It was to the effect that, "every year I tell myself not to get excited about what these guys do running around in shorts. And every year I do."

@cob: I'm sure he meant cracking open a Miller Genuine Draft...

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, ArmyBengal said:

It's also funny how things change from year to year.
This years first rounders may have been last years second.

Hard to figure it all out.

For example: Ced and Fisher.   Easily they both would be in the top 5 tackle prospects this year, if not THE top 2 tackle prospects this year.

Draft coverage is hugely profitable for ESPN and NFL Network.   Draws significant eyeballs that would otherwise be another Sports Center replay or some other NFL top 10 show.    Then little cost in running highlights and on air talent debating.

The eyeballs and ears aren't tuning in to listen to reality.  They want to hear X prospect is going to fix Y need = better path to the Superbowl THIS YEAR.

If the Bengals landed 2 top 5 tackles from this class it would be celebrated as they addressed a pressing need.  However, there is a good possibility that the 2 prospects aren't any better than what Ced and Fisher are in their 3rd year.   But there is a chance they get a immediate impact because that's happened before, and that's what draft coverage is.   It takes the rare occurrence and makes it seem more normal.