Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

I will admit I'm biased towards offensive skill players in this draft for the Bengals.   Fournette supposedly clocked in a 240.   If he runs as expected,  you can't pass on him at 9 even though there's little chance he'll end up at 9.

Hopefully Cook warrants a top spot after this weekend too. 

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

One of those super cool joints with the climbing wall, tire swing, long slide, and club house at the top. 

Nice.  Also sounds like a great dog.  Our dog is 2 1/2 years now, but we went through one of the all time most difficult puppy stages with this thing.  He's great now, hope yours turns out as well.  

That toenail fungus is wicked stuff.  I had to take some medicine that supposedly had potential liver damage associated with it.  I took it and it eradicated the toenail fungus.  I laugh in the face of liver damage.  

Yeah, 11 picks.  Where are all those guys going to be on the roster again ??
No reason to try to win sooner rather than later because God knows that 6th round comp pick from 2017 will emerge as a stellar player.
Probably just as the window has completely closed on this team.  Good planning right there.

What are the true odds of actually finding the next Atkins, Iloka, Jones, etc. in the late rounds I wonder ??
I'd have to go back and look at all the 4th round and later picks to see the percentage of how many times they've yielder a starter.

Come to think of it, I really don't care.  No worries...

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yeah, 11 picks.  Where are all those guys going to be on the roster again ??
No reason to try to win sooner rather than later because God knows that 6th round comp pick from 2017 will emerge as a stellar player.
Probably just as the window has completely closed on this team.  Good planning right there.

What are the true odds of actually finding the next Atkins, Iloka, Jones, etc. in the late rounds I wonder ??
I'd have to go back and look at all the 4th round and later picks to see the percentage of how many times they've yielder a starter.

Come to think of it, I really don't care.  No worries...

As most Bengal fans eventually do, you've entered the final stage, nihilism.  Welcome.

Bengals have done well drafting.   This is like the 3rd offseason in panic mode because some of our guys are top FA targets.   One year it's Andre Smith, Collins, MJ, then Sanu on down the line.

Draft classes are not equal.   At the end of the day the Bengals stand an excellent chance of landing 5,6,7 guys from some talking head's top 150.   It's a homerun.

Great spring time fodder to talk about.    Does it mean anything?  Nobody knows until it kickoffs and you get multiple season into it and by that time you've forgotten and there's another draft class to talk about. 

There's as much argument to keep as many draft choices as possible vs. as there is trading up.   Neither is the right/wrong choice.

From my view the most critical portion of the offseason just got good news IF Whit is returning.   That's a game changer for sure for the current dumpster fire.  See if it happens.

Re Whitworth, the last thing I've seen is that while he says he'd like to return, he's also determined to test the market.

For those that don't speak free-agent-ese, that translates as, "I'd love to stay but so far they won't pay me what I want."

I can't help but remember the infamous deleted tweet incident after the Bengals draft back-to-back OTs. At the end of the day, I think Whit follows the money. This is probably his last trip to the NFL's Big Money ATM. We'll see if that ATM has a Bengals logo on it.

I'm really trying to get back into looking at the draft and the players, but it just feels a little off.
I get the whole aspect of it could be right or wrong to sit tight with 11 picks, but the window keeps getting closer and closer to being closed with this group.
Seeing as how dumbass Marvin hasn't gotten that yearly extension yet, you'd think they would try to press a little bit.
Again, it's not like those 11 players are all making the roster and how do they know if any of the back end is better than what they already have.
If they can't answer that part of it, I think the idea of moving up should be more intriguing at this point in time.

• Like 1

Fournette just never looked explosive to me.  He'a big.  He's fast.  But I never saw much of a burst with him.  In college, once he got 2 or 3 yards, he was going to get 6, just that big and hard to bring down.  He reminds me of Ron Dayne and Derrick Henry.  I hope they pass on this dude.  

I'm not big on Fournette. Guys that size don't last long, for obvious reasons. 

To me, the best comparable is Brandon Jacobs. Plenty of bigger guys who fight injuries, for every big guy who can handle the wear and tear, there's one who can't. For every Lamar Miller and Legarrette Blount, there's a Jacobs and Hyde. 

Too risky at 9 IMHO. 

Also, regarding Foster, how dumb must he be? That would take him off the my board. To stupid to trust. And we already have a lb who struggles in this way, controlling emotions. 

19 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I saw WR John Ross (Washington) run the 40 and breaking the combine record at 4.22 seconds.

I don't care what people think of the 40, THAT SHIT IS CRAZY FAST !!!

Watched it as well. It is exceptionally fast. 

The good news on John Ross IF he gets mixed up with the Bengals.   His talent has always been projected mid 1st.   Now he's confirmed his extreme athletic abilities and was productive.

However, availability and injury will be a concern for him. 

Garett Bolles Utah tackle also a guy that helped himself out of the mid/late first round projections.   Had to go JUCO route so not a lot of top college experience and then played at Utah despite having a bunch of top college football powerhouse offers.

Yes, John Ross has always been a first round talent guy and the speed is just an added bonus.  Quite a large one though.
Some of the scouts and coaches had him hand timed in the 4.18-4.19's.  Like I said before, that shit is crazy fast.
Does all this make me interested in Ross at #9 ??  Nope.  Now in a trade down scenario, he becomes more intriguing.
Just can't say as I think much of the trade down this year.

In regards to Mixon, I would assume there comes a time where the talent level is worth the risk.
If he were sitting there capable of being taken with a 5th round comp pick, I could think of worse ways to use that pick.

If they are truly thinking along those lines, I just wish they would make a greater effort to be consistent in that application.
For example, it should would be nice to have La'el Collins right about now and he could have been had in the 7th freakin' round.
Thank God Mario Alford made that thought meaningless.  Oh wait....

Don't get me started in yet another example of the Bengals not following through on their philosophy of drafting, developing, and retaining.

I'd have no problem drafting Mixon.     There is a certain percentage of dirt balls in the NFL player pool.    IMO, you don't manage a NFL roster bowing to public pressure when the dirt bubbles up to the top to be seen.

It's the NFL's job to remove the dirt and until they do you have go with talent, IMO.