Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Ok, I killed some time looking at mocks today and saw many that had us taking a DE with the 9th pick.

Obviously Carlos Dunlap is locked in as one DE starter.  The other currently is Michael Johnson.
With that thought in mind, here's the question that concerns me with taking a DE with that pick.

Does anyone think Marvin would start a rookie over MJ ??  I know I he draft is becoming less and less interesting for me.
Much like this team as a whole.

Clearing phone shit. Ignore post.

The defense under Lewis with Zimmer and Pauly G has become role specific in the front 7.    Being an actual starter doesn't mean much outside of Dunlap, Atkins, Burfict, MJ which probably play 70% of the snaps.    The rest are in and out pending game situation.

In addition the Defense doesn't really sell out for sack numbers.   They set the edge, contain in the pocket,  play for tipped balls.     That's a trend I do see gaining across the NFL.   D-Lines look like Volleyball teams setting up the block.

I'm biased, but the biggest impact at 9 is going to be touchdown maker for Dalton.   Either from the backfield or WR.  

Any defensive player that gets picked that high is going to have to go through Marvin's veteran gauntlet to carve out more than a minor role as a rookie.  Just guessing plus I want that TD maker for Dalton.

• Like 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000787767/article/nfl-awards-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-clubs

Bengals get a fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh round comp pick.

Pitt and Baltimore both get extra thirds.

So much for all of Hobson's talk of two thirds and two fourths, lol.

And can we hear some more about how we can't sign FAs because it will screw up our comp picks? Yeah, because that seventh (Mr.Irrelevant -2) is so valuable...

lolololol

8 hours ago, COB said:

Only way to validate decision to value comp picks over signing free agents?  Draft some 4th, 5th, and 6th round dudes, then keep them on the roster for the length of their contracts.  

And that's exactly what they'll do.

Yup. But to be fair the practice squad needs bodies too!

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Haven't been around much lately and amazingly enough the conversation hasn't changed.
In all seriousness, I've about lost interest.  Not far from completely done.
I've got better things to do then think about this team.

I hear you Mark. The draft, free agents, whatever...

On 2/25/2017 at 3:10 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Haven't been around much lately and amazingly enough the conversation hasn't changed.
In all seriousness, I've about lost interest.  Not far from completely done.
I've got better things to do then think about this team.

I'm with you, brother.  Far removed are our days of chatting about the Bengals in a hopeful tone in the VA parking lot.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

If they actually did something during this time, it might be interesting, however......

Well, good ol' Geoff is still grinding. Let's see what he has to say today!

With the Bengals staff set to deploy to the NFL scouting combine this week, Bengaldom is in full mode for draft and free agency.

Ya hear that Army, hokie??? Get with the program! It's time to get "full mode for draft and free agency". And no, I have no idea what that means...

Sad to say that beyond that, Hobson's effort this time around is mostly running over the same ground. One little gem:

We know they’re not going to drop big money early on an unrestricted free agent because A) the odds are 50-50 at best it pans out and B) it eats away at their comp picks for next year.

And there it is! The comp pick excuse hangs tough despite the crap comps they got just a couple days ago. If these guys were in charge of the Titanic they would be deliberately steering for more icebergs.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

If these guys were in charge of the Titanic they would be deliberately steering for more icebergs.

From "The White Star Zone", the public relations publication of the White Star Line, owners of the Titanic, written by White Star Line public relations chief Geoffor Hoobsin:

"Most people don't know enough about shipping to realize that missing icebergs results in having to spend a lot on fuel to complete the journey.  Also, if you miss icebergs, you are sacrificing a lot of insurance claims you could be making.  Additionally, having your ship complete its journey without hitting an iceberg really is overrated.  50% of the time you end up getting sued by various passengers, harbor fees you didn't foresee pop up, union trouble, the list goes on.  People act like just because our Chief Navigator, Pole Alexundster, has steered our last 4 ships right into icebergs, we should look for a new navigator.  That's not how the White Star Line works.  We're loyal to our employees.  Mr. Alexundster has two years left on his contract and we will honor that commitment.  Our next ship is scheduled to leave New York City for a 5 day cruise straight to the bottom of the North Atlantic, or Dublin Ireland, no way to tell just now, but anyway the ship is completely booked, so we're doing something right."   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, good ol' Geoff is still grinding. Let's see what he has to say today!

Ya hear that Army, hokie??? Get with the program! It's time to get "full mode for draft and free agency". And no, I have no idea what that means...

Sad to say that beyond that, Hobson's effort this time around is mostly running over the same ground. One little gem:

And there it is! The comp pick excuse hangs tough despite the crap comps they got just a couple days ago. If these guys were in charge of the Titanic they would be deliberately steering for more icebergs.

LOL this shit is too funny! Let's not try and win or sign big free agents, so that way we can get more 3rd and 4th round picks for next year lol!

Yup sure as hell we need more guys sitting on the bench, while overrated and old Vets they bring in at the end of free agency can play! 

So Frustrating 

3 hours ago, COB said:

From "The White Star Zone", the public relations publication of the White Star Line, owners of the Titanic, written by White Star Line public relations chief Geoffor Hoobsin:

"Most people don't know enough about shipping to realize that missing icebergs results in having to spend a lot on fuel to complete the journey.  Also, if you miss icebergs, you are sacrificing a lot of insurance claims you could be making.  Additionally, having your ship complete its journey without hitting an iceberg really is overrated.  50% of the time you end up getting sued by various passengers, harbor fees you didn't foresee pop up, union trouble, the list goes on.  People act like just because our Chief Navigator, Pole Alexundster, has steered our last 4 ships right into icebergs, we should look for a new navigator.  That's not how the White Star Line works.  We're loyal to our employees.  Mr. Alexundster has two years left on his contract and we will honor that commitment.  Our next ship is scheduled to leave New York City for a 5 day cruise straight to the bottom of the North Atlantic, or Dublin Ireland, no way to tell just now, but anyway the ship is completely booked, so we're doing something right."   

That, sir, is pitch-perfect. Bravo, bravo!

conspiracy%20wall2_zpsk2xuqy0i.jpg

The scene - a secret room, deep in the bowels of PBS.  A disheveled old man stares at a wall filled with a collection of photos, clipped headlines, and handwritten notes.  Push pins and yarn connect various facets of the board to other parts.  An unflitered cigarette hangs from the old man's lips.  A much younger but much dumber looking man sits in a chair and watches the old man while he stares at the board, occasionally moving a picture here, a headline there.  

Finally, the younger man speaks, "Mike, you haven't slept in 72 hours, and you're living off coffee and the greenies we took from Pete Rose's personal stash from Riverfront.  Take a break, man."

The old man grimaces, and says, "Paul, you're my line coach, not my Doctor.  I'm close here, I'm close.  This is the culmination of fifty years of work.  So shut the fuck up."

The younger man leans back in his chair, resignation is very apparent on his crushingly stupid looking face.

The old man suddenly gasps.  He falls to his knees, hands on the side of his head, "My God!  I've got it!  I should have seen it 8 years ago!"

The young man leans forward, "You've got what Mike?  Don't tell me you've cracked the code, don't tell me unless you really have!"

"Oh, I've cracked it all right.  I've decoded the whole NFL.  Decades of work, late night study and corporate espionage have finally paid off!  We'll own the fucking Super Bowl, Paul.  They'll have to rename the fucking trophy after my dad by the time we're done.  I've finally got it."

"What is it, Mike?  What's the secret?"

The old man stands.  He violently tears his shirt off.  He yells, "Oh, there'll be plenty of time for that Paul, plenty of time!  But first, I pledged my whole being to this quest, and now it's time for the shit to jump off!"  The old man uncaps a bottle of Old Crow whiskey, and takes several slugs straight from the bottle.

"Urrrggghh.  50 fucking years of sobriety down the drain!  Fuck yea!"  He takes several more pulls from the bottle, sputters, coughs, and projectile vomits onto the floor in front of the wall with the headlines and photos.  "Ha ha!  Fuck you Rooney, you shriveled old bastard!  This is it, motherfucker!  You can try to hide Kathleen, but I'll find her, and when I do, the panties will be hitting the floor!  Ha ha ha!"  The old man chugs the rest of the bottle.

The younger man looks alarmed, "Jesus Christ Mike, Kathleen Rooney?  She's been dead for like 30 years!"

"That's what they want you to believe.  Haven't you studied my board?"  the old man yells.  "She's alive, and she's the best piece of ass I ever had, and now I'm gonna tap that ass again!  I'm gonna burn that motherfucker down.  King Kong ain't got shit on me.  That's right, that's right!"  Another bottle appears, and the old man chugs half of it.

"Paul!  My little brother, my little line coach!  Come over her motherfucker!"  The old man throws his arm around the younger, shockingly stupid looking, man.  "See here, Paul!  Know why I kept you all these years?  You suck, you know that?  Know why I kept you?"  The old man pulls 3 huge gulps from the bottle.  "I kept you because you're named Paul.  I didn't even realize it when I hired you.  But after you were here, I was like, 'Ain't no fucking way I'm firing a coach from the Cincinnati Bengals who's named Paul.  Ain't ever gonna happen!"

The old man chugs from the bottle, then throws it against the cinder block wall, shattering it and sending glass shards flying.  "Hey NFL!  I own your fucking ass now!  Ha ha ha!"  The old man grabs a walker that's been standing beside him.  He approaches his conspiracy wall.  "See this shit Paul?  Hard fucking work.  Hard work by a ***damn Dartmouth grad.  Tha's right motherfucker, I'm smart.  Not like these public school pukes that own these other teams.  Jerry fucking Jones?  Motherfucker went to Arkansas!  My fucking german shepherd could graduate from Arkansas.  Jones can barely fucking read!  Do you know I hired some chinaman to develop an algorithm for this shit?  Didn't fucking work.  I figured it out with my conspiracy wall!  Me!"

"C'mon Mike, before all that Old Crow kicks in, what's the secret?  What?"

The old man smiles, pulls the younger man close again.  He breathes his words out, "Paul, it all comes down to two words.  Two little words.  Know what those words are?  Do you know what is going to win us the next ten Super Bowls in a row?  Two words.  And those two words are Compensatory Picks.  That's it.  Trade Dalton.  Trade Geno.  I don't even give a fuck any more.  Trade AJ.  Compensatory picks can be traded now, and we'll have 3 AJ Greens in here before you know it.  It's all compensatory picks.  We own this league now!  Eat shit Kraft, you're a fucking paper salesman!  I"m the scion of NFL royalty and I'm a ***damn Dartmouth grad!  Go sell some cardboard boxes you fucking hack!"

The old man pulls a cellphone from his pocket, dials and says, "Hello, Kathleen?  It's on baby!  Where you at?  What?  I don't care if you're wearing Depends.  Daddy's ready to smash!!"  He hangs up the phone, grabs his walker and begins walking slowly to the door.  "Paul, get your car keys, you have to drive me to a nursing home in Altoona, Pennsylvania."  He turns, and takes one last look at the board, "Compensatory picks.  I should have known all along."

• Like 3

I mean you guys know how much I was into the draft.  Back when I started posting each and every pick, it was like a weekend long holiday.
I stayed on the site from pretty much sun up to sun down giving reports on the picks and setting threads to discuss.
I loved doing that and it was a lot of fun with how many people would be hanging around or checking in.

Now a days ??  Well, I'm having a new swingset installed tomorrow, we have a new puppy keeping us awake at night, and i'm working on a promotion.
Sure, those are all pretty time consuming, family type things that surely eat into your time typically spent on a web forum. 
However, in all honesty, I don't give a shit what this team does at this point and almost anything is more interesting than what this team does.

Draft weekend ??  I've got toenails to clip and important shit like that.  Filing down the big toe fungus will bring greater pleasure than some new players.
I mean, we are talking about guys that will be called the "most instinctive player" the coaches have seen, only to have them go AWOL.
Tune in for the 2018 preseason when you will see them resurface.

F*cking joke. 

I only come here to see what you guys have to say about it.
Thanks to you all for that !!!

Fans have no idea about the actual quality of a draft class so we all revert back to the thinking that No. 9 pick from 2002 is the same as the pick in 2017.    So on and so on...

While this latest haul from the Bengals treasure trove of compensatory picks was unimpressive without a 3rd rounder and just 1 fourth.   They will stand a good chance of landing a normal drafts haul from the top 150 pending how well the talking heads are in tune with the real draft boards.

6 or 7 top 150 players from the Mayock's of the world will be great draft day accomplishment.   At the end, not sure that matters so much because this years top 150 could be chalk full of HOFers or players whose ceiling is to be cogs in the machine for two years then off to the scrap heap.   Have no idea. 

But with the crap shoot that is Free Agency and the crap shoot that is the draft does it really matter IF you are considered a winner or loser of any?  Probably not.

Bengals will be boring and frustrating in March and win April as the typical should have/could have been First rounder finds himself in the 4th.   PARTY!

The toenail fungus was a parting gift from the Army when I retired.  Big toe and all nice and yellow with the added bonus on cutting bed sheets if not filed down. Pretty impressive when you think about it.

On a personal level, my very soon to be 6 year old is autistic. We just got him a 9 week old Goldendoodle that will be trained as a service dog for his needs. Just about the cutest little puppy you'd ever see and he has taken to him amazingly well. Just dealing with all the typical puppy things they all bring.

The new swing set was installed today as well. One of those super cool joints with the climbing wall, tire swing, long slide, and club house at the top. 

With all of that awesomeness, I'm not worrying about the stupidity that is the Bengals right now.

• Like 1

Kirk Cousins to somewhere......  AJ to Washington.     Washington looks like goofs on Franchise tag day but could very easily come out of this looking very good.   Ship Cousins to QB needy team (apparently there is a good market) and then get young QB built for Gruden's system in a way more manageable contract.