Washington @ Bengals (London) Game Thread

HoosierCat

Meanwhile for the Skins, per NFL.com:

All Pro left tackle Trent Williams injured his leg in the final seconds and had to be helped off the field, while starting cornerbacks Josh Norman (concussion, did not return) and Bashaud Breeland (ankle) both missed important parts of the game, including the final drive for Norman.

7 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Stats to watch: with 308 yards today Dalton has topped 20k career passing yards (20,073). He is 2,621 yards away from passing Palmer on the franchise passing chart. With 10 games left that could easily happen.

Shouldn't be hard to beat a quitter.

48 minutes ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

The defense can't shit the bed in London.

When our defense climbs into bed, the bed is already filled with shit.  That's just where they're at right now.  

Unrelated complaint - Marvin is getting too set in his ways.  Every year he seems to grab some old dude off the linebacker scrap heap, and inserts him into our starting rotation.  It isn't working.

• Like 2

My biggest concern is the grass at Wembley which cuts up very easily. The redskins power run game will be well suited to it, and it's fair to say our defence has a few struggles against the run!!!

Whatever happens, am looking forward to a great day and hopefully night too!!!

• Like 1

I will also say while Cleveland isn't good.  I've watched a lot of their snaps because they played Miami the week before we did and watched them vs. Titans and Skins.

They run the ball well with Crow.  Hue definately had them playing hard.  They are winless by circumstance vs being complete dumpster fire as usual. 

I'm watching Lions/Skins.    This game has been a 3 to 3 slobberknocker through 2.5 quarters.     I would be surprised to see Norman play.   He went out on a concussion when Marvin Jones beat him for 52 yards and he came down the side of his helmet smacked against the ground and he went limp (A. Brown vs. Burfict style). 

Edit:  Very sloppy game.   Skins didn't score 1st TD until under 9 minutes remaining.   Fumbled a couple times, including 1 into the endzone, missed FG.   Cousins ran a TD 20+ yards for a late lead.   Then Skins give it up under 20 seconds left.

I'm expecting a win against the Redskins in London.  Can't say much more than that.  We should just win.

Man, there are better ways to relieve yourself than standing up with nothing to block the view.
Take a knee behind the box and trash can for God's sake.  Not that I take issue with him doing that, just poor execution.
I can take a shit on the side of the road while leaning up against the tire of my car without people seeing.
Not comfortable, but doable.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I can take a shit on the side of the road while leaning up against the tire of my car without people seeing.
Not comfortable, but doable.

See kids? The army does teach useful life skills! Talk to your recruiter today! :glasses:

Some injury notes. For the good guys, Whit is expected to clear concussion protocol and play in London.

Meanwhile DC isn't looking as lucky. Most of this has been noted up-thread but CB Josh Norman, LT Trent Williams and TE Jordan Reed are all various degrees of questionable.

Good piece from espn on how the Bengals are prepping for the trip and the game.

When Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis got the official word the team would be heading to London this season, he called New York Jetscoach Todd Bowles for advice.

The Bengals had never sent a team to London before, so the process was new to Lewis, while Bowles had coached the Jets to their first win in London last season.

What Lewis wanted to know was which worked better for the Jets: arrive a week early and get acclimated, or try to treat the trip as if it were nothing more than a game on the West Coast, and travel later in the week? Bowles said he preferred the shorter route.

That's what Lewis decided would work best for his team as well. That's why the Bengals are trying to operate on a normal schedule this week, holding practice on Wednesday and Thursday at their facility before boarding the plane to London. They'll hold practice on Friday and Saturday in London (in a normal week, the Bengals have a Friday walk-through and a closed Saturday practice), and be on their way home by Sunday night.

"We said we were going to make it as close to a normal [trip] as we could," Lewis said.

One of the reasons for that approach is so that injured players can get treatment at the Bengals' facility, without having to put their tired bodies on a long flight right after playing a game.

Lewis took note of what happened to the last two teams that played the Bengals right before a London game. The Bills boarded a plane to London almost immediately after their loss to Cincinnati last year. Hampered by injuries, they lost to the Jaguars the following Sunday. In 2014, the Jaguars lost to the Bengals in Cincinnati, left for London that same night, then lost to the Cowboys over there a week later.

"We played two teams -- last year Buffalo, the year before Jacksonville -- they were leaving after we played them, we beat them in both games, beat them up, and their teams [were] all over the place, because guys were hurt, they've got to do this, they've got to do that, and it just causes anxiety," Lewis said. "So, in my opinion, the best way to operate is to get everything done [first]."

If there's one argument against leaving so late, it's that players have no time to acclimate their bodies to the time change. London is five hours ahead of the Eastern time zone.

To account for that, Lewis is doing everything possible to get the players to sleep on the plane so they can be ready to practice shortly after the team touches down in London on Friday morning.

The charter flight is not equipped with Wi-Fi, and while the Bengals normally show a movie on their flights, Lewis has nixed that to encourage the players to sleep. Even the normal in-flight snacks of Chik-Fil-A, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and fruit will be swapped out for one big meal.

"We're going to go to sleep on the plane," Lewis said. "When we wake up, it's Friday morning and we've got to be ready to go.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

See kids? The army does teach useful life skills! Talk to your recruiter today! :glasses:

Shitting on the side of the road is just the start.

Advanced chain smoking tactics without being seen by a sniper
Tearing off unseen clothing to wipe your ass when caught without TP
Photography lessons on capturing a pic of your balls on your buddy's camera
Jerking off in a Port-a-shitter when facing a time crunch
Blowing up fuel cans with C4 to create the visual effect of a nuclear strike
Proper placement of a blow up doll while riding a motorcycle in a combat zone
Using your vehicle to trap friends in a Port-a-shitter and then spraying them with a hose

I could go on and on, the valuable life lessons I've learned are endless.  Why wouldn't people want to join the military ??
Don't let the whole getting shot at, blown up, and/or killed keep you from that kind of fun !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Some injury notes. For the good guys, Whit is expected to clear concussion protocol and play in London.

Meanwhile DC isn't looking as lucky. Most of this has been noted up-thread but CB Josh Norman, LT Trent Williams and TE Jordan Reed are all various degrees of questionable.

clearly any of those 3 would be a blow to the Skins and plus to the Bengals.

Trent Williams is really solid.   He's given up a couple pressures and he gave up a sack to a blitzing safety last week but most of the time he locks his man down.  He's really good at getting to the second level and cutting off back side pursuit.   

Just a suggestion : 

Snyder is under pressure to change the name from Redskins, too psychically damaging to our Native American population.  Please list potential names, I'll start with, in honor of onetime NBA franchise the Washington Bullets - the Washington Drone Strikes.

• Like 1