Browns @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

5 hours ago, volcom69 said:

So now reports are that Burfict didn't step on Blount, which is great.

In other news Steelers O-lineman Foster says Burfict has stepped on him though!

I really do hate football sometimes, what a bunch of he said she said bullshit! What grade are these players in again?

Wait, the Steelers said something?  Contact ESPN, they've got the lead story for every one of the 437 stupid ass blab shows they'll air in the next 24 hours!  "Let's go to Marcellus Davis, 7 year very articulate non-threatening veteran, he'll let us know Burfict is a tool, and he'll tell us some funny stories about what happened in the pile when he was a player!"

Found this :  

Along with Baltimore, Arizona and Oakland figure to have the league’s most back-loaded schedules next year, with their toughest games coming relatively later in the year. Meanwhile, the Jets, Bengals, and Steelers all have the opposite problem, as their toughest challenges come before the midpoint of the season.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/these-nfl-teams-will-probably-start-hot-because-of-an-easy-schedule/

Maybe some optimism.

I don't know...  I see better than I hear in regards to Burfict and I see dick moves on both accounts.
I'm not just out to get Burfict, but I'm just sick of this crap from this team.
How sad is it they seemingly can't remember this costing them a playoff win not long ago ??

There seems to a Forest Gump saying that comes to mind here....

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don't know...  I see better than I hear in regards to Burfict and I see dick moves on both accounts.
I'm not just out to get Burfict, but I'm just sick of this crap from this team.
How sad is it they seemingly can't remember this costing them a playoff win not long ago ??

There seems to a Forest Gump saying that comes to mind here....

I think the thing that really gets to me is all you ever hear anymore about the bengals are things like this.

I remember when the bengals were all criminals, now it's the bengals they are a dirty team. I guess it just never ends. 

I just feel like 2006 all over again, bad things happened in that playoff game, and it all fell apart, that kind of what this feels like. 

8 hours ago, GapControl said:

Found this :  

Along with Baltimore, Arizona and Oakland figure to have the league’s most back-loaded schedules next year, with their toughest games coming relatively later in the year. Meanwhile, the Jets, Bengals, and Steelers all have the opposite problem, as their toughest challenges come before the midpoint of the season.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/these-nfl-teams-will-probably-start-hot-because-of-an-easy-schedule/

Maybe some optimism.

I have no idea if our beloved Bengals turn the season around.   I know there was a lot of preseason/offseason banter about a tough early schedule.

It played out that way and even more so because the Cowboys morphed into NFC powerhouse and Denver was a hot team in September reconfirming they will be an AFC factor. 

There's room for optimism or negativity.   They were close in Pitt and against Denver.     Issues have risen in each game and currently they are riding a two loss streak in which they've been blown out.

38 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I think the thing that really gets to me is all you ever hear anymore about the bengals are things like this.

I remember when the bengals were all criminals, now it's the bengals they are a dirty team. I guess it just never ends. 

I just feel like 2006 all over again, bad things happened in that playoff game, and it all fell apart, that kind of what this feels like. 

I said "team" when we are really talking about a small sample size, but it speaks volumes to me that this is still tolerated.
Many people (outside of the fans) thought Marvin lost control of the team and now we get this mess.  Were they wrong ??

I'm just irritated more than anything.

47 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I don't worry about the media narrative.   It's driven by how many fan boys you have in the media.   Not to turn this into political but we've seen a high level of accepted media bias  for something as important as the presidential election.  This is just football so it's inherently worse.

It's a false narrative that a franchise does it the right way and others don't.   They ALL pick from the same pool of players in which that evaluation is assuredly based on the ability to play.    There is an inherent percentage of dirt bags in that pool of players.   There is an inherent percentage of aggressive play to the echo of the whistle players in that pool.

I can call Burfict a dirty player and accept him on my team and not even worry about defending him.  Why?  How?     Because I've been a fan of this league for a long time.   I've heard a similar theme from intimidating defensive coaches and teams.     

Basically players like Burfict are a by product of building an aggressive physical defense.   I've heard Parcells say it.  Zimmer, Marvin, Buddy Ryan, Cowher etc.  They say it different ways but it comes down to if you are going to build a physical defense you have to find some assholes.  You have to find some crazy.

Whether it's defined a "dirty" or whatever is up to the fan boys and how many you have and how beloved that team is.      

The Bengals aren't beloved even by some of their longest fans or media personalities.  So it's easy for them to get the label. 

Burfict is a dirty player and hope he can operate in the Grey area without getting suspended or getting critical game changing penalties. 

I won't feel guilty about cheering for Burfict (a dirty player) because Mean Joe Green didn't get that rep for nothing.  He got it for doing the exact same stuff Burfict does.   Who cares what/how the media describes it?   Punch them in the mouth and win the game.  Let them cry afterward.

• Like 1

I'm all about them being physical, tough, aggressive, something I think they lost so far this year. 

Its like when you watch the team, they are out there going through the motions, but that's it. I want to see that hard hitting, aggressive play that I thought they had last year. Only problem is they are getting flagged for everything, and it sucks. Who knows maybe that's one of the reasons they stopped playing like that. 

It doesn't matter, just win this week, it's against a team they should beat, get the locker room back, it's at home, just win the freaking game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

I don't worry about the media narrative.   It's driven by how many fan boys you have in the media.   Not to turn this into political but we've seen a high level of accepted media bias  for something as important as the presidential election.  This is just football so it's inherently worse.

It's a false narrative that a franchise does it the right way and others don't.   They ALL pick from the same pool of players in which that evaluation is assuredly based on the ability to play.    There is an inherent percentage of dirt bags in that pool of players.   There is an inherent percentage of aggressive play to the echo of the whistle players in that pool.

I can call Burfict a dirty player and accept him on my team and not even worry about defending him.  Why?  How?     Because I've been a fan of this league for a long time.   I've heard a similar theme from intimidating defensive coaches and teams.     

Basically players like Burfict are a by product of building an aggressive physical defense.   I've heard Parcells say it.  Zimmer, Marvin, Buddy Ryan, Cowher etc.  They say it different ways but it comes down to if you are going to build a physical defense you have to find some assholes.  You have to find some crazy.

Whether it's defined a "dirty" or whatever is up to the fan boys and how many you have and how beloved that team is.      

The Bengals aren't beloved even by some of their longest fans or media personalities.  So it's easy for them to get the label. 

Burfict is a dirty player and hope he can operate in the Grey area without getting suspended or getting critical game changing penalties. 

I won't feel guilty about cheering for Burfict (a dirty player) because Mean Joe Green didn't get that rep for nothing.  He got it for doing the exact same stuff Burfict does.   Who cares what/how the media describes it?   Punch them in the mouth and win the game.  Let them cry afterward.

I actually find myself agreeing with the above post and like what you bring to the forum AMPHAR.

In regards to the BOLD, italicized, and underlined part of your post:
Maybe actually winning those games would help things considerably...

• Like 2

If Mean Joe Green played in the current era, he wouldn't be held the in the same regard.  Dirty play is not something I am going to go through any mental gymnastics to justify.  I think it's shitty full stop.  The league is better than it used to be even considering all the safety concerns it still has.

Mean Joe Green would be beloved in this day and age too.   He's a Steeler.     Look at all the junk that has transpired under their current coach and compare that to the media backlash.   It's a joke.   If Burfict wore the Black and Yellow he'd still be a dirty player in my book but described in the same terms as whatever their current hit men LBs are.

They have fan boy media guys that stick up for them because they have a huge following.     I guess the recent issue with them is losing players to drugs and having an air humping WR in the endzone and getting penalized.

Can you imagine the blow back if AJ Green was air humping and getting flagged in multiple weeks? 

I don't coach youth in sport so everyone can rest easy.   I don't justify dirty play other than to say it exist and it does work towards the bottom line of winning in contact sports.   I don't care if it's soccer, basketball, and football.     Teams that are more physical and can intimidate can shrink any existing talent gap.  

You can't get caught up in how the media describes it because it's proven they'll be accepting in one case and damning in another.   It's bias.

15 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Mean Joe Green would be beloved in this day and age too.   He's a Steeler.     Look at all the junk that has transpired under their current coach and compare that to the media backlash.   It's a joke.   If Burfict wore the Black and Yellow he'd still be a dirty player in my book but described in the same terms as whatever their current hit men LBs are.

They have fan boy media guys that stick up for them because they have a huge following.     I guess the recent issue with them is losing players to drugs and having an air humping WR in the endzone and getting penalized.

Can you imagine the blow back if AJ Green was air humping and getting flagged in multiple weeks? 

I don't coach youth in sport so everyone can rest easy.   I don't justify dirty play other than to say it exist and it does work towards the bottom line of winning in contact sports.   I don't care if it's soccer, basketball, and football.     Teams that are more physical and can intimidate can shrink any existing talent gap.  

You can't get caught up in how the media describes it because it's proven they'll be accepting in one case and damning in another.   It's bias.

I don't care about the media.  I hardly ever even pay attention to ESPN or Fox Sports or anything like them.  I honestly think Bengals fans tend to wrongly characterize what happens in the media anyway.  We're always the victims, nobody else ever gets treated like we do, blah blah blah.  I just don't think it's true.  OBJ for example has been a constant face in the news for his antics (in a negative light) just as much as Chad ever was.  I have had to see that for weeks and I don't even watch television.

There may be bias against Burfict specifically, but it isn't because he's a Bengal.  It's because he entered the league with a reputation, and any bad move he makes promotes confirmation bias.  I don't feel sorry for him when he does stupid things.

75 thousand dollar fine?  Marvin says he'll appeal.  Like Marvin, I've reviewed the tape extensively.  All I see now is Burfict helping a little old lady across the street and helping build a handicap accessible playground.  Goodell, go burn in hell you biased piece of crap.