Bengals @ Patriots Game Thread

HoosierCat

I am always unhappy with a loss, but 4 things made me happy in that "silver lining" sense

1) Much improved pass rush

2) Andy.  He is absolutely not part of the problem.

3) Oogie Boogie benched.  Thank you.  Put Fisher out there next week and see how it goes

4) The big one - The era of TJ Johnson begins.  No, I never like to see a player hurt.  No, I am not a fan of TJ Johnson despite sharing initials with him.  I AM glad - very glad - that someone not named Bodine was snapping to Andy.   Start getting Westerman ready at C, please.

• Like 3

Dalton is great, give the freaking guy sometime, and players around him and it shows. 

Just look at last year, with Green, Jones, Sanu, and Eifert. 

Guys were open so fast he never held on to the ball, his release was so fast. 

I miss those guys!

This year it's Green and a bunch of guys. I like Boyd but he is still learning things. Dalton seems to be holding on to the ball so much longer this year, and the o-line is just not giving him time.

Not to mention a defense that is giving up 24 points a game or something, it's just not good enough. 

They had something great going with amazing players and coaches, and they lost a big part of that.

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I am always unhappy with a loss, but 4 things made me happy in that "silver lining" sense

1) Much improved pass rush

2) Andy.  He is absolutely not part of the problem.

3) Oogie Boogie benched.  Thank you.  Put Fisher out there next week and see how it goes

4) The big one - The era of TJ Johnson begins.  No, I never like to see a player hurt.  No, I am not a fan of TJ Johnson despite sharing initials with him.  I AM glad - very glad - that someone not named Bodine was snapping to Andy.   Start getting Westerman ready at C, please.

Thank you for writing this as I do not have to take the time to do so.

17 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Clearly the biggest thug in the league: 

I'm pleased to see Burfict handle the end of the game the way he did. Kept his head but still stood his ground. He's volatile but kept it together. Let's see how this team handles a loss to Cleveland, to determine if Tez and Pac are changed men. 

Let's not get carried away.  Yes, our team is playing like shit.  But we've lost to the Patriots, the Steelers, the Broncos, and the Cowboys.  I'm not going to look it up but they're probably all leading their divisions.  Bengals should surely be favored by 5 against the Browns. 

Having said that, I hope Marvin retires after this year.  It will leave him solidly above .500 (yes, it matters, look at the career won/loss record of Bengals coaches) and it will give us a one year jump on the new regime.

1 minute ago, COB said:

Let's not get carried away.  Yes, our team is playing like shit.  But we've lost to the Patriots, the Steelers, the Broncos, and the Cowboys.  I'm not going to look it up but they're probably all leading their divisions.  Bengals should surely be favored by 5 against the Browns. 

Having said that, I hope Marvin retires after this year.  It will leave him solidly above .500 (yes, it matters, look at the career won/loss record of Bengals coaches) and it will give us a one year jump on the new regime.

I have a bad feeling that would mean "Head Coach Paul Guenther", or worse yet "Paul Alexander".

Maybe I'm jaded.  I wouldn't weep if Marvin moves on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

I have a bad feeling that would mean "Head Coach Paul Guenther", or worse yet "Paul Alexander".

Maybe I'm jaded.  I wouldn't weep if Marvin moves on.

You aren't jaded, you're just wise in the ways of Mike Brown.

I wouldn't cry either, but I have zero expectations that a coaching change would matter.

13 hours ago, COB said:

All are ranked top 10 power rankings currently.  

Vance Joesph will get a look to be HC once Marvin hangs it up.    Marvin will be involved in the next HC hire.

Back to the game what irks me about Lewis is the last points FG drive.    That's classic check the box for being aggressive and play for FG.     True AJ got held but it's 3rd and 2.   Given the Pats momentum there should have been 0 consideration for FG at that point.   Run 2 plays if necessary to get 2 yards or play defense with favorable position if failed. 

Makes little sense to get 3, then let Pats start off with a kick off. 

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Speaking of field position, WTF happened to Kevin Huber? He had what, 30 and 36 yard punts yesterday? His overall 38.2 yard average is his worst since 2010.

He hit one a bit short and it bounced.  Our kicking coverage on teams has been below average all season.  That's the part of the team that has had the most personnel change this year, too.