Tale of the Tape Part 2 - Hill vs. Fish 2nd half

AMPHAR

Kinda shocked or surprised by this.   But it is what it is and keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I fully intended this a typical negative review of what's wrong with Bengals running game.   So to cut down on my work, I decided to focus on Hill in the second half.   I decided this because it seemed Hill was generating the most discussion and in my mind he got off to a good start and I thought he struggled after the first couple drives.

In conclusion.  I believe 2 goaline carries that were UGLY clouded my judgment.    He had 21 carries.  A third of those went for 4 yards or more.    He actually averaged 4.5 per carry in the 2nd half.   Would have never guessed that until I watched the plays.    So picking up in the 2nd half -

Q3

1st - Bengals 2 wide, FB, TE Left.   Pull Z to the left.  Hewitt on DE.   Hewitt cant' hold block on DE, Z runs past electing not to help Hewitt and go for CB.  Z doesn't hit anybody.  1 yard/no gain.

2nd Bengals overload to the right.  Fisher as H-back on left.  Hill starts right, quick jump cut left,  good seal block by Fisher.   9 yards plus horse collar penalty.

Here's the ugliest - Goaline mess.

No gain and -2.   Both plays are same formation and same play.   Double tight.  Pulling Z to the left.  Hewitt kicking out.  Line blocking down to the right.   First play Hewitt gets stacked in the hole, and safety fills quickly.  No gain.   2nd time - Z pulling right wiffs on filling LB -2. 

5th carry - 4 wide, single back.  Good blocking.   Safety comes off back side to limit gain to 3 yards.   This is one carry Hill might have been able to hit the hole harder up the middle and gain more.

6th carry - Same play as Carry #2.   Good blocking by Fisher again.   19 yards. 

7th carry - 2 wide, single back.  Action going left.  Hill jumps backside into the arms of Suh.  Z couldn't hold the block on Suh although assisted by Hill.  Probably should have stayed front side.

Q4

8th carry - FB.  Good power pull run to the right.  3 yards.

9th carry -  Again good power pull run to the left.  9 yards

10th carry - Toss right.  No gain as Hill was heading for First Down marker on the sideline.

11th - play.   This was option play.  LB shoots the hole instead of flowing and makes it inside Fisher.  Forces fumble on Dalton.  -4.

• Like 2

Marvin might be right.   They've faced the who's who in front 7 players in the AFC.   Bengals rank favorably in yards gained near top 10.   Dead last in Redzone efficiency.    But top half in red zone trips.  

With a quarter of the season gone it's still early for sweeping conclusions.     If the Bengals would have converted a couple more TDs there might not be as much worry.  

Just for consumption at face value.   

Last Season b4 Dalton and Eifert got hurt against Pitt:  376 yards per game.  27.8 points per game, 4 Red zone trip per game,  118.3 rushing yards per game

This season after 4: 371 yards per game, 19.5 points per game, 3.2 Red Zone trips per game, 80.8 rushing yards per game

The Bengals got off to a red hot start last season offensively going against Oak, SD, Balt, and KC.   The best run D through 4 games of that year was Oak at 91 yards per game. SD gave up 135 a game, KC 94 a game, Balt 104 a game.

Through 4 games last year (RED HOT)  422 yards per game, 30.2 points per game, 5 Red Zone trips, 128 rushing yards per game. 

This year the Bengals have played two of the best run defenses in NY and Pitt giving up 70 and 78 yards per game.  Then faced an alright Den run D giving up 113, and a horrible Dolphin run D giving up 129. 

Of course everyone knows the Bengals have had major turnover - Ced/Smith.   Jones/Sanu-LaFell/Boyd.  Eifer/Kroft/Uzomah.   Hue for Zamp. 

Don't know what it means.  Hopefully just a helpful comparison as fans try to consume the offensive performance through 4 games this year. 

• Like 1

Preaching to the choir here, but Eifert (even if not 100%) changes EVERYTHING for this offense.
He's not just some guy, he's a player that the defense has to account for each snap.  We haven't had that to this point.
Once he's back in the mix, other WR's face less coverage and opposing defenses can't simply load the box to stop the run.

Burfict's presence was felt immediately for the defense and I see that only continuing as the season goes on.

Keep everyone healthy and they will be right there at the end of the season.

On 2016年10月6日 at 1:03 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Preaching to the choir here, but Eifert (even if not 100%) changes EVERYTHING for this offense.
He's not just some guy, he's a player that the defense has to account for each snap.  We haven't had that to this point.
Once he's back in the mix, other WR's face less coverage and opposing defenses can't simply load the box to stop the run.

Burfict's presence was felt immediately for the defense and I see that only continuing as the season goes on.

Keep everyone healthy and they will be right there at the end of the season.

Yep my sentiments exactly.  This is a scary offense with EiFragile.  Needs a good attacking run game to compliment the pass if they hope to contend without him.