Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

HoosierCat

We'll get another crack at them, but man, that game sucked.

Better get stuff straightened out quick, or Denver will knock us on our asses and we'll be 1-2 right out of the gate.

That defense misses Reggie so much it's sad.  Watching 36 play safety for the Bengals is not fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, COB said:

We'll get another crack at them, but man, that game sucked.

Better get stuff straightened out quick, or Denver will knock us on our asses and we'll be 1-2 right out of the gate.

That defense misses Reggie so much it's sad.  Watching 36 play safety for the Bengals is not fun.

My gut tells my Shawn Williams is out of position or just plan making mistakes...Amphar may see something more definitive on the All-22 film.  

That said, I don't blame the defense for the loss.  Terrible running game and bad ST blocking...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GapControl said:

My gut tells my Shawn Williams is out of position or just plan making mistakes...Amphar may see something more definitive on the All-22 film.  

That said, I don't blame the defense for the loss.  Terrible running game and bad ST blocking...

I looked at critical plays from Ben in the passing game.

1. Williams applied pressure and got the hit on Ben for Pac Man's Int.  That was a 0 coverage look leaving CBs with no safety help as Iloka also rushed.  Critical he got there to rush the throw.  Big gamble by Paul G.

2. Completion to A. Brown for 16 yards.  This was fake blitz by Williams and drop into bracket zone coverage on Brown.  Pac Man over the top with Williams underneath.   Brown behind Williams found the hole between the two.

3. Deep pass to Coates over Dennard #1 - Williams was deep safety.   Ben looked left and Williams sprinted to help Vinny Rey who was covering DeAngelo(???) one on one on a go route down the field.   Ben pulls the ball down to extend the play looks right and Coates gets away (probably pushed off) from Dennard.  Williams sprinted by right to help tackle.

4. Deep pass to Coates over Dennard #2.  - Williams high safety in bracket coverage on Brown.   Ben went with the 1 on 1 and beat Dennard.  Once ball was in the air Williams sprinted over to help.

5. 2 TE TD - Was assigned the opposite half  on one.   Was assigned to A. Brown (Dansby had underneath) in case he went into the endzone.   Once ball was in the air, tried to get over and make the break up/tackle on both.

6. DeAngelo TD -  Assignment error by either him or Pac.   Guessing him considering Pac's reaction.

I think it is fair to say that at least some of the completions would have been sacks if the Oline for Pit was not allowed to hold on every pass.  I remember one completion when Hunt was dragging an Olineman behind him, that was hanging on to one of his arms, and came up just short of Big Jen.

Also decided to look at pass pro.   Much improved although Steelers didn't bring a lot of blitzes.   I noticed 5/6 pressures, mostly light.   That includes the sack and the clear late hit (not called).

The worst pressure came at the goal line on the LaFell PI.  Twist on the left side and #97 came through clean. Dalton took a shot and came up limping.      Earlier in the first quarter Z missed a pick up of a twist that resulted in a pressure.

The sack, IMO, is on Dalton.   Had a man open and for some reason didn't throw it.

Had some missed plays:

First series - on 3rd and 6.  No pressure.   Dalton threw it down the sideline to Green in double coverage.   #87 released from pass pro and was WIDE WIDE WIDE open to the same side of the field.   Big miss there.

So what happens?  2nd series #87 releases from pass pro and is Wide open (not as much as before) Dalton delivers with a little pressure.  DROP.

3rd series -  This makes my gut turn.   They ran a bunch formation.   Dalton pumped.  It worked.  2 defenders covering 1.  Means there is a guy open and there was down the sideline.  No throw.  Not sure why.

About the 7th series on a 2nd and 10.   Didn't see a wide open AJ Green.   Must have been a coverage error on Pitt.  2 guys jump on Boyd's route leaving AJ all alone.  Throw goes to an open Gio underneath but it was a bad throw (assuming slippery ball).

Wet ball was factor more for us than them it seemed.  Although A. Brown had a bad 3rd down drop. 

• 2 weeks later...