Bengals @ Jets Game Thread

HoosierCat

6 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Even with good LB coverage.   One thing that is completely overlooked is Dalton was deadly last year pre snap.   He was good a knowing where and when a back would be open.

That's hard as hell for LBs to cover considering free releases that RBs get most of the time.

I really think we will see Gio in the slot quite a bit, giving them an even bigger headache. They don't have the horses to cover all our guys with any form of effectiveness. Running inside could be tough but they can get around that.

10 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Very good breakdown, but I think our D is to good.  Even in NY on opening weekend. 

Our punter Huber is among the best at limiting returns and The "Nug" is still an above average kicker.  Along with our new secret weapon Alex Erickson (UDFA) as a returner, I think we take ST's.

My guess is 24-10 Bengals, with a bunch of pressures and sacks on Fitz.

After Week 1, hopefully your Jets can put together a Patriot busting season!

Specials is so hard to predict in the first few weeks because you have so many young guys out there that do not have much playing experience. Nerves get into play plus over commitment and players leave their lanes hoping they can make a big play and get recognized by the coaches. This is usually what leads to punt returns for td's or even kick returns because some young guy wasn't dedicated to his lane and wanted to make the big hit.

The Bengals D is very good even without Burifict, it is a monster to run on and is great at stopping teams from scoring. I think you guys were rated 4th or 5th best scoring D last year. Not much turnover other then Hue Jackson leaving but I doubt that makes a huge difference. The only reason I think the jets will have some success is that fact we have 3 quality pass catchers that makes it hard to defend them if Fitz can diagnose the play before the ball is snapped, a huge if,but its still there.

You can double team Marshall, which I wouldn't be surprised happens all game and he will still end up with 100 yards because he is just that good. If you do double team him you leave Decker and Forte free to go against a 2 corner, safety or a LB. Those are all favorable matchups for the jets. Fitz just has to execute, which is really a coin flip every single play.

Both D's are too good against the run that it will be tough sledding for any rb to gain significant yardage. We have been weak against wheel routes by rb's, something Gio I am sure will burn us on but time will tell what kind of defensive formations we show to combat that. 

12 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

I really think we will see Gio in the slot quite a bit, giving them an even bigger headache. They don't have the horses to cover all our guys with any form of effectiveness. Running inside could be tough but they can get around that.

Boling, Bodine, and Z will have to handle the interior rush to maximize our backs factoring in the passing game.   If they can effectively switch and help then Gio and Co. can release faster and cleaner.     

IF not,  Gio and Co.  will have to stay in more or delay release to help chip at whatever rushers. 

Fitzpatrick?  I recall Nov. 21, 2010, I had a front row seat in the south endzone to watch Fitzpatrick destroy our secondary in the second half after Chris Crocker got hurt.  We had a 17 point lead at halftime, but Fitzpatrick looked like Jim Kelly as he lead the Bills back and beat us.  Looking for more pressure on him this time.  By the end of that game, we only had 4 defensive backs healthy enough to play.  

6 minutes ago, COB said:

Fitzpatrick?  I recall Nov. 21, 2010, I had a front row seat in the south endzone to watch Fitzpatrick destroy our secondary in the second half after Chris Crocker got hurt.  We had a 17 point lead at halftime, but Fitzpatrick looked like Jim Kelly as he lead the Bills back and beat us.  Looking for more pressure on him this time.  By the end of that game, we only had 4 defensive backs healthy enough to play.  

Yeah that sucked.

56 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Pac Man vs. Marshall if they match up against each other,  that seems like it could produce some fireworks for some personal foul flags.

That should not occur. Adam needs t show he's learnt that lesson, this game and all season. It will be a great battle, and how our safeties hang is key.

1 hour ago, kingwilly said:

That should not occur. Adam needs t show he's learnt that lesson, this game and all season. It will be a great battle, and how our safeties hang is key.

I'm a little more worried about it after watching some All 22 on the Jets.   B. Marshall loves to get that stiff arm up in the face mask of the corner and clearly jaw afterward.   

So watched some "all 22"  Jets vs. Bills last year.   Some observations:

1. I have coached 0 QBs at any level, but this can't be the footwork you want to see from your QB.  Fitz fades/drifts to his left almost everytime.   Anytime he goes right it's a timing and one read throw or boot.   It seemed almost everytime he was asked to read a defense, he threw left or back to the middle shaded to left side.   There's got to be a pick waiting to happen IF this is how he plays all the time.

2.  Revis must have been hurt in that game.   Very fearful of Watkin's speed.  Lots and lots of cushion.   I would guess almost 100% of the time he was willing to give underneath routes (even on critical conversion downs) in favor of not getting beat deep.   Jets did not give a lot of over the top help.    Got him a couple times on deep comebacks.  Watkins drew a couple flags.   Got him on some slants underneath in which Revis just backed up and didn't want to challenge.

3. Jets very tough to power run against but if you can get them chasing their pursuit falls apart.

4. Jets sniffed out some early screens very well.  

5. Dalton is not Tyrod Taylor in rushing.  But it would be wise to have a couple read options.   Helps the pursuit fall apart.

Of course this was not a good game for the Jets so it likely means very little for this game.