Roster situation

kingwilly

Welp.., I'm sold on Driskel and Louisiana Tech.  Just found this out: 

The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs footballprogram has had 70 players drafted into the National Football League (NFL) since the league began holding drafts in 1936.[A 1] This includes five players taken in the first round and one overall number one pickTerry Bradshaw in 1970. Louisiana Tech had three players selected in the most recent NFL Draft.

There it is. Terry Bradshaw.

8 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

First thought is "Goodbye McCarron" in 2017 - don't want to pay a back-up QB next year.

Well, if the issue was money the Driskel move makes even less sense. In 2017 McCarron's salary is under $700k, which is peanuts in NFL terms. Cutting/trading him then would only save $150k vs. what Driskel will make. And since they are now paying an extra $450k to Driskel this season, it's a net cost of $300 grand.

Over on da site, Geoff is indeed trying to spin this as step 1 in replacing McCarron after 2017, writing that if they like what they see, they won't have to take a QB next April. My reply would be, like what they see when? When Driskel is running the scout team? WTF can you expect to see between now and April that will tell you if Driskel has any chance to an NFL QB? This makes no sense either.

My guess is that Zampese likes the guy and they claimed him to keep Ken happy. Now he will become a pet project of his, same way Alexander gets pet projects like Bodine and the Dancing Bear. 

The lack of DE depth is inexcusable! The fact they get a player to hold a clipboard instead of getting somebody who can contribute this year is horrible. 

This is a good team, but I do worry about depth is certain positions, an injury or 2 this year and they could be in some big trouble! 

DE is a disaster waiting to happen. We have one blue chip guy in Dunlap, one solid starter in MJ, one career backup in Clarke, and a bust they just can't quit in Hunt.

Yeah, I know, can't be strong everywhere. And Hardison getting hurt again hurts since he can play DE as well as DT. But yeah it would have been nice to see them make a move here vs. third string QB.

Yes, agree with you both. This is almost criminally negligent at this point. 

Depth at DTis also suspect, and at corner. And O-line. 

A couple of problems and the destiny of this team changes drastically. 

But hey, that Gator washout had that quick 40...

With Westerman said to be capable of playing all 3 interior line spots, and Hopkins can play either OT spot, I actually think we are set fairly well there

With Shaw playing both CB and S, I think things are fairly good there as well, albeit, yeah, I'd much rather have Jackson than Chykie as my last option.  It doesn't help, obviously, that Dennard still hasn't practiced despite multiple claims that he will be the starting nickel corner against the Jets

The DL situation fell apart when Hardison got the shoulder injury.  He's the swing man who can play DT or DE.  If he wasn't injured - and that came about fairly late, in preaseason game 3 - I think Margus gets cut and Hardison becomes your 4th DE.  If that were the case, i think most of us would feel a lot better about the depth on the dline.  Lets hope Margus finally puts it all together.  Hope is all we got.

Pass-rushing DE is the first round pick next year, right?  GIMME A LINEMAN

19 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Hunt was not likely going to ever get cut.  They carried him injured for half a season last year and carried him on the 53.

played him as soon as he was healthy and then played him early in preseason games this year.

No one thought or predicted Dawson would be cut, either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I don't know that I would be in a hurry to resign with a team that cut me, took a public dump on me in the media and then offered to bring me back at a lower salary.

He's not in a hurry to do anything, apparently.   He supposedly had 2nd round talent.   The 99th pick compensatory saved him from being a 4th rounder.       They played AJ Hawk way more than him.    Most of PJ's defensive snaps came in an opening day blow out.

They sign another FA LB then draft another LB.     Can't make the final cut when Burfict isn't taking up a spot?  Then every team passes on picking up his rookie deal.

I'm not sure what the deal is with him but where there's smoke there's fire.