Roster situation

kingwilly

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

Gilberry was 100 times the defensive lineman than Hunt is. Shocking that you would compare the two. 

Why not a 1,000 times, lol.    Hunt isn't replacing the legend of Gilberry just what he was in 2015.   It wouldn't be shocking to see Hunt match 3.5 sacks which was Gilberry's total the past two years.

6 minutes ago, COB said:

Hunt can't get off blocks.  He can shove the blocker into the backfield, which is a valuable skill, but then once he's there he can't disengage and make the play.  

Saw him last night do that exact thing, and Munoz commented on it, said something like Hunt needs to disengage and tackle that running back, the guy ran right by him.  

At this point he is the luckiest guy in the NFL, because he's a second round draft pick with the Bengals and they don't generally let those guys go during their first contract.  

One thing that would help him is learning to raise his arms when pursuing the QB.  A couple times last night he was running right at the quarterback and the guy just dumped it off.  Hunt's like 6'8" with long arms, he'd really be effective at knocking down passes.  I never want to see him part of the regular rotation, but when guys are tired or nicked up, I'd say he can do the job short term.  Also waiting for his vaunted kick-blocking skills to be displayed.  

I agree with this.   His instincts or whatever just isn't there unless it's a screen pass.   He's figured that out apparently.

Far cry from describing him as trash because as you say he can shove a blocker into the backfield which is a valuable skill.   

I think he's been bad, and not just "worse than his draft position projects" -- outright bad.  I don't mind them keeping him another year though, because he was always supposed to be a huge project.  Maybe there'll be a random moment where it starts to click.

In the 2015 preseason he was awesome.  I think that has largely been forgotten.  It hasn't translated to real games yet and it may never.  We don't really have anyone better to replace him with though.

26 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

two more guys cut in Buffalo that we might be interested in:

RB Boom Herron

C Fernando Velasco

I'd be interested in Velasco. (Side note, the Buff starting C Wood is my second cousin)

Just to add regarding Hunt, while he will probably not be cut, he's really not been worth his draft position and has not really progressed in any visually meaningful fashion. Lots of player can push guys around, but that is not the job of a DE. Honestly, maybe at this point he'd be better as a RT? <only kind of kidding> <also, insert joke here also about moving him to TE, or Safety, & changing his first name to "Tab">

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Why not a 1,000 times, lol.    Hunt isn't replacing the legend of Gilberry just what he was in 2015.   It wouldn't be shocking to see Hunt match 3.5 sacks which was Gilberry's total the past two years.

If you think Gilberry's role and impact was captured by sacks, I can't even...

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

I agree with this.   His instincts or whatever just isn't there unless it's a screen pass.   He's figured that out apparently.

Far cry from describing him as trash because as you say he can shove a blocker into the backfield which is a valuable skill.   

Not if he can't disengage and make a play when her gets there. He's useless. 

23 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Bengals have released veteran S Jimmy Wilson. That means Fedejelem's made the final cut.

That's pretty awesome.  I watched him and he played well this preseason, particularly noticed him last night.  I don't know how to pronounce his name.  

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

QB's tend to get very nervous and make hurried/bad throws when their pocket isn't clean.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not if he can't disengage and make a play when her gets there. He's useless. 

I respectfully disagree.   Many times a d-line's job is to win the LOS and keep the LBs line of movement clear of clutter to make a play.   I don't see how anyone can say a rotational D-linemen that shoves blockers around is useless especially when it appear he has in fact claimed a spot in the rotation. 

But whatever.    Something to keep in mind when evaluating Bodine.   He can get shoved back a mile, as long as his man doesn't make the actual play he's tricked that defender into being useless, I guess.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

If you think Gilberry's role and impact was captured by sacks, I can't even...

He played about 60% of defensive snaps last year had 2 sacks and 23 tackles.  If his impact can't be measured by sacks it certainly isn't bringing ball carriers down.   So the only thing left is.... shoving blockers around?    What?

Let's just do the math:

According to Football Outsiders (snap counts) and ESPN stats:

Gilberry played 632 snaps.   He had 23 combined tackles and 2 sacks.    So that's less than 4% of the time he touched a ball carrier on the plays he participated in.     What else was his impact?    Probably being able to hold the LOS while the starters took a break.

Now if you are watching this preseason and don't think Hunt can do that, so be it.  But you are wrong.  This is what depth in the NFL looks like.    

The roster seems to be shaping up, a bit more Youth than in past seasons. Feels good, fresh. Some probably due to key injuries, like Peerman and Eifert. I think they will go get another vet TE, maybe another CB depending on where Dennard is in rehab. 

Erickson, Fiddlestix, some D-line, Carson(cut), Vigil.