Roster situation

kingwilly

If we dont put in a waiver claim for this guy, I am all but certain that I will break down and have me a little hissy fit with stompin, screamin, and the rending of hair and clothing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17424725/vikings-release-center-john-sullivan-8-year-vet

Hurt last year, but quality and reliable prior to that, and healthy all this year, did not miss any camp or OTAs for 2016

This is a cap cut by a team fortunate enough to have two good Cs and they kept the cheaper one, not a guy who cant play, and he'd probably push Jeffro to backup by week 3

Can't pick-up a better center than Bodine, as Alexander probably doesn't want to hurt his feelings, and more importantly it makes Alexander look bad after proclaiming Bodine is "going to be great." 

This is about what's best for Alexander, not the team or the fans, remember that!

Happy they kept Erickson, he left them with no choice, just too impressive.  Interested to see how he does against #1's in real games now.  I'd play it safe with him returning kicks on Thursday.

I'd play it safe and play all 3rd stringers and possibly recruit high school and college players to put on a uniform for one night.
That and pay off the ref to shave some time off the official clock to get out of this game.
Absolutely no reason to even play this game by my estimation.
If a starter were to get hurt, I might f*cking explode.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'd play it safe and play all 3rd stringers and possibly recruit high school and college players to put on a uniform for one night.
That and pay off the ref to shave some time off the official clock to get out of this game.
Absolutely no reason to even play this game by my estimation.
If a starter were to get hurt, I might f*cking explode.

1 series max for the starters and any of them with as much as a bad haircut sit.

1 hour ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

He'll never read this, but:

Thanks for the 4+ years, Tate.  We gave you a lot of crap you probably didn't deserve, but you always stepped up when called upon and you nearly never fumbled.

I agree. More good than bad, which is saying something for a fan base who has seen Mack, Ratliff, Perry, and a host of others....

40 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

hold off,  he was a vested vet so he didn't have to go through waivers.   He's an automatic Free Agent.   Probably won't get looks until after week 1 like most vets release this late.  

That seems the most likely. But a WR and ST needy team could grab him. SD and SF come to mind. SD lost Stevie Johnson earlier in pre-season, plus they cut James Jones and SF put Bruce Ellington on IR. both could give him a shot.

20 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

That seems the most likely. But a WR and ST needy team could grab him. SD and SF come to mind. SD lost Stevie Johnson earlier in pre-season, plus they cut James Jones and SF put Bruce Ellington on IR. both could give him a shot.

TJ's talking about wanting the Bengals to claim John Sullivan, C from Minnesota, to challenge or replace fan whipping boy du jour, "Jethro" Bodine.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17424725/vikings-release-center-john-sullivan-8-year-vet

2 minutes ago, Walrus said:

TJ's talking about wanting the Bengals to claim John Sullivan, C from Minnesota, to challenge or replace fan whipping boy du jour, "Jethro" Bodine.

You are right. I do hope they pursue a vet C, in case of injury or poor performance. 

It's fun to speculate what the Bengals could get in return for McCarron, he's not going anywhere.
It would be foolish for them to give up the rights to a VERY solid backup with starter potential when they can squat on him for the next 2 seasons.
The next season after that, the first round tender isn't even 1 million for a 5th rounder.  I think I read that somewhere.

With that being the case, "IF" they were to trade him before that, it would have to net a HUGE return.
You simply don't give away a piece with the potential that McCarron has at such an important position.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

McCarron will be an unrestricted FA after 2017. 

I believe this to be correct.    Some outlets have reported him being a RFA because of his first season not counting because of his shoulder injury that put him on the PUP.

Unless the NFL considers his shoulder injury "non football related" that season counts towards UFA eligibility.

My personal opinion is: McCarron was stashed on the PUP when he was healthy enough to have a roster spot.   His camp probably would have never agreed to that if it would have cost them a year towards UFA.  

Maybe Dehner has it wrong ?? 
I was off on the tender number I tossed out there, but still cheap if what's reported is accurate.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/08/31/bengals-walkthru-weighing-mccarron-trade-risk/89643344/

During a Tuesday afternoon practice, Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater went down with a gruesome, non-contact injury to his knee. An ambulance came on the field, players were cursing and throwing their helmets and word was he tore his ACL with other structural damage and a dislocated kneecap. Devastating. He should make a full recovery. But with an injury like that there aren't even guarantees for 2017 after obviously missing this year.

After the shock wore off, everyone wonders what they do next. Minnesota was considered a Super Bowl contender with an emerging Bridgewater at the helm. Now they have Shaun Hill's career 3-5 record and Joel Stave taking snaps.

Around here this re-ignited the debate about trading AJ McCarron that stirred over the offseason. He has three more years of cheap labor since his rookie deal runs through the 2017 season and then he'd be a restricted free agent in 2018 where even the highest, first-round tender offer was $3.63 million last year.

3 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Maybe Dehner has it wrong ?? 
I was off on the tender number I tossed out there, but still cheap if what's reported is accurate.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/08/31/bengals-walkthru-weighing-mccarron-trade-risk/89643344/

I hope he's right but in order for AJ to be unrestricted there would have be some reason that the 2014 season wouldn't count towards eligibility.    If you are on IR or PUP that counts unless it's non-football related.