Roster situation

kingwilly

Floyd has been both durable and productive in Arizona.  He's certainly a worthy #2 to run with AJ, pushing Boyd back in the slot.
AJ, LaFell, Floyd and Boyd as your 1-4 would hardly be something to turn your nose up at.

Seeing as how I would have wanted to address WR in the coming draft sooner rather than later, this would alleviate that problem.
The question is money.  Former 1st round pick at the end of his rookie deal.  Can't envision him coming in on the cheap.

Would love it though !!!

Floyd will come cheaper than expected.   He has bad, bad timing.    Declining production and injury.    His recent arrest confirms the red flags that surrounded him in college with alcohol right before he's unrestricted FA.     He'll probably settle on a shorter term prove it deal.   Similar to a Nick Fairley situation.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/23875/michael-floyds-career-never-reached-its-full-potential-with-cardinals

Ok, got it.  He never fulfilled the potential of being a #1 WR after being made the 13th overall selection.
Thing is, that wouldn't be an expectation here with AJ on the other side and he could just relax.
Seriously, I think adding him to the offense would be a huge upgrade.

Does he have bad timing and are there concerns ??  Sure, but doesn't Pacman and Burfict still play for this team ??
If he would come in on a shorter term, that would be great.  He'll be 28 next year.  A 3 year deal would work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Eifragile (back) and Boling (shoulder) both put on IR. Both will have "procedures" this week. Hobs says they are expected to back for the start of next season but we all know how that goes here in Medical Wheel o' Fortune Land.

Fun fact: after starting 15 games his rookie season, Eifragile now will have a grand total of 15 starts (and just 22 total games) over the following 3, count 'em,  3 seasons.

Kumerow and Roach brought up from the PS in their place.

And from what I've read, it appears Whit really wants to come back next season, but has no interest in moving inside to OG.
Lucky for him there doesn't appear to be any other options for the team that would make that thought come to be.
We may (should) draft another OT, but Whit should be the starting LT in 2017 either way.

I'm comfortable saying Ogboogie is a bust.  Terrible decision from a team that gets a lot of credit in drafting.
It happens...

Right on cue, here's the Peko puff piece, complete with a reach around from Tim Krumrie. Oh, how could we cut the guy who buys pizzas for the homeless???

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Peko-in-the-middle-of-it-one-more-time/81a57181-7cda-4b7e-adee-e8a1a44e320a

• Like 1

I like Peko.  I really do and I understand him not wanting to go out on a losing season.
However, I feel this is where the Bengals fail as an organization.
They hang onto guys too long. 

It's not to call into question Peko's leadership whatsoever, but rather how that translates to the field.
I will admit to obviously not being as knowledgeable as NFL coaches, but what do they see that we as fans do not ??

Happens every year here and costs the team financially.
What sense was there in paying Leon Hall 10 million for last season's work ??
Oh well...

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I like Peko.  I really do and I understand him not wanting to go out on a losing season.
However, I feel this is where the Bengals fail as an organization.
They hang onto guys too long. 

Yup. Nothing against Domata at all. Though he was never more than a solid starter, there was a time when they could have done worse than a DT rotation of four Peko clones. But he isn't giving them anything now. He gets a guy, whatever end not named Dunlap is out there gets a guy and the rest double Geno and Carlos. The result is our nonexistent pass rush. I don't know if Billings is the answer but it's just time to move on.

Looking at the FA list, I'm not really seeing too many names pop out. Whit they have to keep at least for one more season. Kirkpatrick and Zeitler ought to get paid but will they pay both? I dunno. I think Zeitler is my first choice if they go the "can't pay everyone" route. LaFell is an interesting question.As far as FA WRs in Cincy go, he's actually panned out decently. I wouldn't break the bank for him but it would be nice to bring him back. Maybe 2 years, $6.5 million,something like that? Peerman won't cost anything. And then finally Burkhead. The other 9 guys...so long.

I go Zeitler over Dre in a heartbeat as well.  No reason to add another concern to an o-line full of them.
WJ3 will be back next year as well and think he was drafted to allow Dre to walk.  I won't cry about that.
I was actually really excited about Billings and hope he comes back full go for OTA's.

Yeah, bring back LaFell.  Burkhead is another Jerome Simpson in having to wait around to get playing time.
Burkhead is not only the type of guy you want to see leading, he's actually productive.
If he leaves, he will be starting and producing somewhere else next year.
I would bet to a high degree.

• Like 1

Younger and quicker, sure, but better? Who knows. And that's the damned problem. Either guys can't stay healthy and we can't get a look, or they do stay healthy but coaching keeps their asses planted on the bench so as not to upset the veterans.

Anyhow...Eifert had back surgeyr yesterday per Marvin, so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Either guys can't stay healthy and we can't get a look, or they do stay healthy but coaching keeps their asses planted on the bench so as not to upset the veterans.

I'm glad you said it.  What the hell is this?  Not being able to hold accountability and play the players that perform better?  In what business does this make any sense?

But we've seen it under Marvin for years.  Players earn tenure.  Time invested earns the opportunity to play.  Not current performance.

It sends a bad signal to EVERYONE.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

I'm glad you said it.  What the hell is this?  Not being able to hold accountability and play the players that perform better?  In what business does this make any sense?

But we've seen it under Marvin for years.  Players earn tenure.  Time invested earns the opportunity to play.  Not current performance.

It sends a bad signal to EVERYONE.  

Well said.

Bengals' are like $40 mil under the cap going into the off season, so they should be able to do something.  It likely won't be enough as usual, as I don't think they can or want to cut dead weight - i.e. Pac Man, Peko, ReyM, Bodine in particular.  Cedric should just go if his contract allows for it, draft another OT in the 1st.  Re-sign Zeitler, Whit and Dre. LaFell should be sign-able also. They won't do much else in FA, if anything, again.

I think next season is another dead year until they turn some guys over and hit on some draft picks, which they're so reliant on (and have struck out a lot lately with).

The coaching staff has issues, but they won't be addressed most likely.  Marvin may be back, but it may or may not be as a HC.  From what I remember, they never did replace Lippincott, and think Marvin will be taking his place as Personnel Director (or whatever his title was) at some point.