Roster situation

kingwilly

They're wrong. Alexander didn't say he was surprised it took so long for Marvin to bench him, he said he was surprised things hadn't clicked for Ced yet. Still thinks they will. See: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/07/bengals-notes-dalton-earns-man-year-nod/95085108/

The confusion comes from some poorly worded tweets Ozwarski originally sent out with these comments, one of which he later deleted.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

They're wrong. Alexander didn't say he was surprised it took so long for Marvin to bench him, he said he was surprised things hadn't clicked for Ced yet. Still thinks they will. See: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/07/bengals-notes-dalton-earns-man-year-nod/95085108/

The confusion comes from some poorly worded tweets Ozwarski originally sent out with these comments, one of which he later deleted.

So Anthony Broome completely booted that quote?  It seems that he claims Alexander said He thought it would happen sooner in regards to Ogbuehi being benched.  But in reality he was saying he thought it would happen sooner in regards to Ogbuehi "getting it" and turning into a productive player.  

Which in my mind calls into question the premise in the first article, which is that Marvin waited a long time to bench Ogbuehi.  I think it was Alexander who waited too long, just because I think he calls the shots on who starts on the offensive line, not Marvin.

Well, whoever it was did probably wait too long to make a change, but I'll also give them some credit for starting the rotation with Winston a few weeks back and them finally making a move last week. Coaches can be really stubborn about replacing a guy, especially a high pick. Think about Bodine or Cook or Ghacuic or even the Dancing Bear. They all struggled to one degree or another for a long time and some never got it. But they didn't get replaced until their contracts were up or they were physically unable to do the job. Ced's benching came at lighting speed compared to them -- which only emphasizes how really, really bad he is.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

After completely botching things at RT, guess who's the new heir apparent at LT? 

This will end well. 

So very Bengal-like!  

But I will remain neutral.  

Don't honestly know if there has been someone in the past who flat out couldn't play right tackle, but was good at playing left tackle..  The general impression is that left tackle is the more difficult position, and if you are really good, you can play there, but if you aren't quite up to it, you can go play right tackle and be good there.  Ced is turning that notion on its head!  And so far that's the only thing I've seen him dump onto its head.  Zing!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, COB said:

So very Bengal-like!  

But I will remain neutral.  

Don't honestly know if there has been someone in the past who flat out couldn't play right tackle, but was good at playing left tackle..  The general impression is that left tackle is the more difficult position, and if you are really good, you can play there, but if you aren't quite up to it, you can go play right tackle and be good there.  Ced is turning that notion on its head!  And so far that's the only thing I've seen him dump onto its head.  Zing!

The right vs. left thing isn't new.    The thing that looks bad on the Bengals, iMO are teams won't let a guy that struggles with the right/left thing fail in actual games.   Guys that struggle with the Speed or whatever with the game find the bench or line up at guard early. 

At this point it's a horrible job by the front office and coaches.   There are plenty of highly draft tackles that struggle.  They get shuffled around.   Not meant to be a defense of Ced but some reach high quality of play and some still suck up until the day they are cut.

Andre Smith struggled for a different set of reasons.  He once for a very brief time was at LT over Whit.  They quickly corrected that and then Andre went out and almost ate his way out of the league.   For his first NFL snaps through his first 2 seasons he had Collins and the mighty Roland in the mix.  The bengals were always trying to knock Andre down a notch too (for good reason, IMO).

In the case of Ced.  Eh, they just handed him the spot.  No reps because of TC injury.  No problem, go do it.  

So after they exhausted all hope on the Right side.  It's this right/left thing.   It's not new but sounds like bullshit to me.  Until Ced beats somebody credible out for his snaps and then actually plays competently over a period of time it just sounds like bullshit to me.

• Like 1

Just the fact Ced was actually moved and benched is a huge tell. That never happens on the oline in Cincy. Never. We've seen many mediocre to poor oline players, and while they may get replaced during the offseason, I can't recall an in-season move that wasn't related to injury. I don't think they give up on him yet, but I have no expectation that he will ever amount to anything.

The next era of Bengal o-lines is upon us.   The composition of the starting 5 is up in the air.     Going into the 2009 season the future of the o-line was in a state of flux.   Willie was cut in TC.  Andrews was a surprise loss in FA.  Guy-check was a flop and only lasted the 2008 season because Cook got hurt pre-game he was supposed to start.  Bobby Williams was aging.   Levi Jones was definitely finished with knee problems.   Whit was hot/cold at Left tackle. 

Then they draft Big Tits McGee from Alabama and they had every sign of being a disaster.  Roland/Collins held it together barely but good enough.

So hopefully they come out of this transition phase just as well as they did the offseason 2009.

***Hobson*** -  (IF you read this) You can thank me for giving you some material and some odd linkage to use as a hopeful message to counteract the impending questions about the o-line going forward.  

Here's where I am at in my line of thought.

There's no way they can let Whit go at this point, so he's brought back for at least another year.
Boling is under contract, so there's no move there.  Same with Bodine.
They will say Zeitler will cost too much and he leaves in FA.
Winston sees his last day as a Bengal and isn't resigned.

2017 starts as the following:
Whit, Boling, Bodine, Westerman, Fisher or rookie

Ogboogie is given another year to try to figure out how to play LT at this level, remaining a backup to Whit.
Fisher could earn the RT spot, but could also lose out to either a rookie or FA addition.
I can't say as that's a winning combination at this point and if Alexander returns as OL coach, I'm very skeptical.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here's where I am at in my line of thought.

There's no way they can let Whit go at this point, so he's brought back for at least another year.
Boling is under contract, so there's no move there.  Same with Bodine.
They will say Zeitler will cost too much and he leaves in FA.
Winston sees his last day as a Bengal and isn't resigned.

2017 starts as the following:
Whit, Boling, Bodine, Westerman, Fisher or rookie

Ogboogie is given another year to try to figure out how to play LT at this level, remaining a backup to Whit.
Fisher could earn the RT spot, but could also lose out to either a rookie or FA addition.
I can't say as that's a winning combination at this point and if Alexander returns as OL coach, I'm very skeptical.

I could see all of this happening. Having to give Whit another $9-10 million is just crushing from a cap perspective. Remember in the old, pre-rookie-salary-cap days, how busting on a high draft pick just killed a team because they would be on the hook for a big-money contract? Well, I have to hand it to the Bengals, they've found a way to replicate that in the new era: draft a bust then have to pay big money to the guy he was supposed to replace. Ced plus Whit cost the team $10.7 million in cap terms this year and will cost another $11-12 million in 2017. If we lose Zeitler and/or Dre, Ced is the reason.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I could see all of this happening. Having to give Whit another $9-10 million is just crushing from a cap perspective. Remember in the old, pre-rookie-salary-cap days, how busting on a high draft pick just killed a team because they would be on the hook for a big-money contract? Well, I have to hand it to the Bengals, they've found a way to replicate that in the new era: draft a bust then have to pay big money to the guy he was supposed to replace. Ced plus Whit cost the team $10.7 million in cap terms this year and will cost another $11-12 million in 2017. If we lose Zeitler and/or Dre, Ced is the reason.

Eh, you aren't wrong.  Look, draft busts happen.   Bengals most certainly need to retain Whit as this point.  Both tackle spots are questions marks.   There are ways to get Whit and Z their market value money without a full cap hit.

IF the Bengals are trying maximize their opportunity to win a Superbowl they should adjust their cap accounting to account for the current swing and miss with Ced and relatively unknown in Fisher.     That would involve them pushing/risking money into the future.    If we lose Dre, and/or Z it's not drafting busts is the cause it's the fact they insist on treating the cap as a hard cap when softer options are available.

You can get Whit 8/10 mil dollars without him counting against the cap for 8/10 mil.  Same with Z or Dre.   But every home grown extension involves them not pushing off the cap hit and in many cases taking more in the front of the contract than necessary.

They need to keep Whit around to me this is a must. 

Hell Marvin brought back Gilberry for this reason, because he felt the team lost leadership, they lost that familiar face. 

Whit is more then a player he is a huge role model, and leader for these guys. There will be a day where he can't or don't want to go on, but hopefully by then they will fill that leadership role.

Without Whit this team is more lost then now. Just look at what happened to this defense for half a year after not having there leaders Burfict and Nelson!

23 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

IF the Bengals are trying maximize their opportunity to win a Superbowl they should adjust their cap accounting to account for the current swing and miss with Ced and relatively unknown in Fisher.     That would involve them pushing/risking money into the future.    If we lose Dre, and/or Z it's not drafting busts is the cause it's the fact they insist on treating the cap as a hard cap when softer options are available.

Also true. The Bengals' front office is its own worst enemy.

I want to see more of Fisher at RT in the remaining 3 games.  Find out what we have.

Same with the newbie OLB

I want a new C.  I'm good with a day 2 pick, Westerman, or a FA

Priority Bengals resigning/extension FA is Kirkpatrick.  He's arrived.

FN Rey has to go.  I predict he signs with Oakland.

First rounder has to be BPA between OLT and pass-rushing DE

3 hours ago, kingwilly said:

Michael Floyd released by AZ, Will now be subject to waivers. Yes, he had a DUI Monday but is this a guy the "Redeemer" would consider? 

Hey, I believe this guy is worth a look. I watched him with the Cardinals, last season better than this one. Of course the whole Arizona team took a dip, as did other teams I don't care to mention here. He has some skills.