Injury Watch 2016

GapControl

The injury bug has gone radioactive.  I figured it deserves its own thread.

Ced Og- Injured toe; may not be ready for Game 1

Cody Core- Dislocated finger; probably plays Preseason Game 2

Alford- sprained ankle in a walking boot; No set return out maybe a few weeks

Burkhead- missed Preson Game 1; not sure why

Jeremy Hill- pulled out of PG1 due to hand injury; not sure if he plays PG2

Lafell- didn't play PG1 but not sure injury has been revealed

Billings- torn meniscus ; maybe out for season

WJ3- torn pec; maybe out for season

Old injuries guys are still recovering from:

Eifert, Kroft, Dennard, Kumerow

if anyone has more info please add it in

This is just flat-out sad. Eifert, Kroft, Alford again, now LaFell. And as mentioned Sanu and Jones are gone. I would not want to be a pass-catcher on the Bengals this year, there's a curse or something.

I'm with Willy on the Ogbuehi toe injury. Last thing you want for a big guy like that is any kind of flat tire. Throw in that the guy is still raw and rusty after a year's layoff and I think we should all be saying a prayer for Whit's good health.

Of all the injuries, Eifert, Dennard and Alford are all the most worrisome to me because these guys are becoming repeat customers on the injury report. It's been said a million times: doesn't matter how talented a guy is if he can't stay on the field.

I understand the anxiety concerning LaFell.  Who can forget the gigantic bust that was the Laverneous Coles signing?  Hopefully we'll get something out of LaFell.  

Still, having our first round pick, to whom we conceded a year for a pre-existing injury, come up lame before the second preseason game is played, well, that sucks at a new level.  I hope Ogbuehi gets healthy and performs.  We need him to live up to the hype.  

Marvin said he expects those guys to be ready for the opener, but once again we have heard that many times, to only have the guy out 6 months. 

The Cedric injury to me sucks, because he is so raw! Now he will get no playing time before the regular season starts, and he did struggle a little in the opener. Let's hope he is as good as they think he can be.

25 minutes ago, COB said:

I understand the anxiety concerning LaFell.  Who can forget the gigantic bust that was the Laverneous Coles signing?  Hopefully we'll get something out of LaFell.  

Still, having our first round pick, to whom we conceded a year for a pre-existing injury, come up lame before the second preseason game is played, well, that sucks at a new level.  I hope Ogbuehi gets healthy and performs.  We need him to live up to the hype.  

I tend to forget about Coles and go straight to Antonio Bryant.  :expressionless:

I think teams have more data.   Their intentions are never to work a particular player 100% of the reps or snaps available between the time TC starts and the first game week.

So when a player gets dinged they go ahead and rest.    If a guy has perfect health during the period you'll hear about rest days and not letting them go through drills.

They don't have to publish an official injury report until week 1 so the significance of any of these injuries is kept in a cloud of mystery, I guess in an attempt to hide potential roster moves.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

This is just flat-out sad. Eifert, Kroft, Alford again, now LaFell. And as mentioned Sanu and Jones are gone. I would not want to be a pass-catcher on the Bengals this year, there's a curse or something.

I'm with Willy on the Ogbuehi toe injury. Last thing you want for a big guy like that is any kind of flat tire. Throw in that the guy is still raw and rusty after a year's layoff and I think we should all be saying a prayer for Whit's good health.

Of all the injuries, Eifert, Dennard and Alford are all the most worrisome to me because these guys are becoming repeat customers on the injury report. It's been said a million times: doesn't matter how talented a guy is if he can't stay on the field.

Any confirmation on whether it's turf toe?  Look at how many games Green missed with that injury a couple years ago.

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Bummer about Billings.  I was really hoping he was going to make it hard to keep him off the field.

Yep, this is a hit. 

Makes me wish Gilberry had been kept. 

Gotta think there will be someone they have on speed dial as cuts start happening. Especially with Thompson still not back (and a bit of a bust at this point). 

Also, I so think Hunt will be/should be cut. He's just not progressing and there has to be a player who can contribute more. The window on this team is open but for only so long. Hunt makes no sense to keep at this point. 

DEs in this scheme are asked to set the edge more so than getting the green light to jet into the backfield.     This is/was a common complaint of a younger Dunlap and MJ.      

I didn't rewatch the game or watch the "All-22" from game pass.    Hunt didn't do anything that stood out in a short segment of snaps.    I watched some Cincy Jungle film review article and IMO mistakenly put a GIF of Hunt setting the edge correctly while jeering him for bad play.

You'll see this from game to game from DEs out of this scheme in which they play disciplined vs. reckless.  

I do think Hunt is progressing as a ROLE Player not the potential superstar he was billed to be by Zimmer and Hard Knocks.   I base this on his playing time.   He had a back injury last year.   They kept him on the 53 vs. IR.   When healthy they activated him on game-day and then gave him snaps.   First action this season he's in the game 2nd series right behind the starters.   That's earliest I can remember him playing in a preseason game.

I have no idea what will happen but I think Hunt will be fine as a role player replacing Gilberry, I think.  Gilberry played 75% and 58% of snaps the past 2 seasons and recorded 3.5 sacks.

You should watch the game again, if you are inclined. Hunt was bad. I only saw him get washed out or pushed around, letting the blocker into his frame too easily. Non factor in pass rush or v the run. On the play after our failed 4th down on long drive, he was fully down blocked inside, lost the point and contain allowing the rb a big cutback out of end zone away from a sure safety.

As I said, there have to be some ends who can offer more than this...

2nd round picks don't need to be superstars but you'd hope they'd progress in 4 years and challenge to start. Hunt (and Thompson)  has under achieved. This isn't really a debate.

I like Hunt and see the tools, like we all can. I hope the light goes on soon since this team might not give him another year or two. I do miss Gilberry, mostly for his consistency. He wasn't a flash player but was versatile and did his job well. If Hunt can approach what Gilberry produced, I think most fans would be thrilled. I know I would be.

Again, it doesn't matter how epically terrible Hunt is.  He's not going anywhere.
They simply don't have enough DE's on the roster.  If they get rid of him (he doesn't cost much) I think it would prove very difficult to bring in a fit for the defense at this point.
Don't get me wrong, that's not a glowing endorsement of his abilities, simply a realistic look at the position.

MJ and Dunlap start with Clarke and Hunt as the backups.  After that two other camp fodder dudes at best.
If ANYONE gets dinged, they are screwed.  If they let Hunt go at this point, it's beyond stupid.
There's no one left.

Regardless of how I feel or how much i'm inclined to agree with the lack of production to this point, he stays.
Billings would have at least given them another option to kick Hardison back out.
With Thompson probably starting out on the PUP for the season, that's not happening.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again, it doesn't matter how epically terrible Hunt is.  He's not going anywhere.
They simply don't have enough DE's on the roster.  If they get rid of him (he doesn't cost much) I think it would prove very difficult to bring in a fit for the defense at this point.
Don't get me wrong, that's not a glowing endorsement of his abilities, simply a realistic look at the position.

MJ and Dunlap start with Clarke and Hunt as the backups.  After that two other camp fodder dudes at best.
If ANYONE gets dinged, they are screwed.  If they let Hunt go at this point, it's beyond stupid.
There's no one left.

Regardless of how I feel or how much i'm inclined to agree with the lack of production to this point, he stays.
Billings would have at least given them another option to kick Hardison back out.
With Thompson probably starting out on the PUP for the season, that's not happening.

You are probably right, especially once Freeney decided to sign elsewhere. Would be interesting to see who gets cut but this team is not known for signing cast-offs right before the season. Begs, again, the question of who they drafted. And, yes, it's easy to second guess but with each replay of a worthless preseason game on TV, wtf else can we do?

I don't know what other options there are at this point and still don't think they can bring in someone else that would make much more of an impact.
Freeney was the guy I had mentioned well before they brought him in for a visit and even then, he was coming from a 3-4 base defense.
Now he's not even an option.  The coaches have made it well known they don't simply bring people in to bring them in.  They have to be a fit.
I thought was a great case for Freeney and his production was there from last season, but I guess they didn't see the fit.  Such is life.

Again, I'm not heaping praise on Hunt by ANY stretch.  While I do think he's serviceable, he hasn't lived up to his draft position and ability.
Regardless of any of that, there's no way they could cut him at this point when considering the position.

Wish I thought there were better options.

16 hours ago, kingwilly said:

You should watch the game again, if you are inclined. Hunt was bad. I only saw him get washed out or pushed around, letting the blocker into his frame too easily. Non factor in pass rush or v the run. On the play after our failed 4th down on long drive, he was fully down blocked inside, lost the point and contain allowing the rb a big cutback out of end zone away from a sure safety.

As I said, there have to be some ends who can offer more than this...

2nd round picks don't need to be superstars but you'd hope they'd progress in 4 years and challenge to start. Hunt (and Thompson)  has under achieved. This isn't really a debate.

I like Hunt and see the tools, like we all can. I hope the light goes on soon since this team might not give him another year or two. I do miss Gilberry, mostly for his consistency. He wasn't a flash player but was versatile and did his job well. If Hunt can approach what Gilberry produced, I think most fans would be thrilled. I know I would be.

Nah.   I'm flying bling on the rewatch but there's no way there is any support for "cutting" Hunt from the first half of that game.   No way!   I won't have game pass back until regular season, crap. Hunt probably only played 30+ defensive snaps.   The Vikings only had 4 first half drives.  With 2 being 3 and out.  Hunt was only in on 3 of the first half drives.  Not sure when he was pulled in the second half.  The first Viking drive of the 2nd half was a punt.  The 2nd drive of the 2nd half went for a TD with Stave dinking and dunking.

The missed safety is his 1 negative play in which the LBs also ran off and help create the cutback lane.   In all honesty that's just a good play by that back and a bad play by the backside of the defense.  Including Hunt.

On the TD play.  Hunt had a good rush.   I also recall they gave help to Andre Smith at least once to deal with Hunt in pass rush.   On the TD, the DTs completely removed from the rush lanes and horrible coverage with a penalty to boot. 

I agree it was blah game from Hunt.   But honestly the flow of the game plays into that.    The drive charts show nothing but "short pass" by Hill and Stave.   There was 1 sack in the entire game by Atkins.    The main Viking ball carriers were under 3 YPC. 

I'm going to stick with my opinion for right now that Hunt is a victim of being projected as a potential superstar and he's only developing as a role player.    Over the years, I've seen these exact same type of games from Dunlap and MJ.  The Bengals have their DEs set the edge more times vs. crashing.   I've heard the same stuff about Dunlap and MJ too. 

They should have signed Freeny when they had a chance. I still think they need to look elsewhere for help when cuts start coming in. I'm just not liking how this is going so far this year. I just remember the Ravens season last year, and don't want that happening to the bengals this year!

• Like 1