William Jackson III

Steeler fans are lame and obsessed with the Bengals, lol.   As they try to claim they don't see the Bengals as a big rival.

According to many of them, this is what the Bengals get for trying to screw the Steelers, lol. 

Newsflash:  Bengals love them some first round DBs or Proven Vets (typically former first rounders).   By the way,  it's paid off because they've had a great secondary over  multiple seasons.   True there isn't a single player that's has gotten individual recognition as "top 5" like a Geno Atkins.   They are solid across the board including sub packages.  Which is why Coyle and Joesph were robbed off the staff.

Bengals also don't draft for "need".   They are going to take the perceived higher talent at the position they value more.     

20 hours ago, COB said:

Our first round pick out for the year before the first pre-season game is even on the horizon.

Someone has finally made Ki-Jana Carter look durable.

More things change, the more they stay the same, eh? Oh well, it's not like the Bengals ever play their rookies much these days anyhow.

Big winner? Dre Kirkpatrick. Had Jackson shown anything it would have been a lot easier to let him go after playing out his rookie deal this season. Now the risk of letting him walk has shot up, and will go even higher if he plays well. (Yes, still something of a big if, but IMO Dre's issue isn't ability it's consistency and that can be fixed.)

Meantime, Bengals have re-signed CB Corey Tindal. Hall reportedly in the Meadowlands today.

Dre is better than what he gets credits for.  He's had some ugly moments in which he got picked on by QB/WR.    IMO, his biggest area to improve on and punch his ticket to a bigger $$$$ contract is catching the ball.   He's a ball hawk or should be.   He could have had 4/5 ints on easy balls he put himself to intercept.   He had 0.    Those type of plays cover up coverage problems and grabbing a bunch is a fast ticket to a pro bowl.  

Even still,  I think the guy just based on last year is ticketed for a sticker shock FA deal.   Teams are playing DBs more snaps, cap is going up and more teams are in good cap positions.   Dre is probably already in a position to grab a Sanu level contract. 

If can't improve coverage or secure the interceptions then it might be best to let another team pay him his market value regardless of what happens with WJIII. 

Well, yeah, if he doesn't improve, it's easier to move on, but it's still a bird in the hand/two in the bush type of deal. Even if the bird in the hand is just so-so. (And I agree that Dre doesn't get enough credit.)

Word today is that Dennard officially sprained his ankle, so he'll likely be down 2-6 weeks depending on severity.

Still nothing out of NY re: Hall, but most reports made it out to be more of a kicking-tires thing there. 

They'll hold on to Dre. They gave Hall eminent time with his two Achilles tears, and didn't ask to change contract. 6'2" corners, even average NFL ones, don't grow on trees. 

Dre will want Revis money but won't get it, unless a guy like Zimmer coughs up a big package. 

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I'm guessing Leon will get a job, as more camps suffer injuries. Bound to be a team thin that will ink Hall. I'd prefer it not be here. 

With Josh Shaw here, he can be the flex back, cb/s hybrid they like to use in nickel and dime sets. Shaw is going to be an impact guy this year. 

21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

More things change, the more they stay the same, eh? Oh well, it's not like the Bengals ever play their rookies much these days anyhow.

Big winner? Dre Kirkpatrick. Had Jackson shown anything it would have been a lot easier to let him go after playing out his rookie deal this season. Now the risk of letting him walk has shot up, and will go even higher if he plays well. (Yes, still something of a big if, but IMO Dre's issue isn't ability it's consistency and that can be fixed.)

Meantime, Bengals have re-signed CB Corey Tindal. Hall reportedly in the Meadowlands today.

Some research done on Kirkpatrick on another website:

"There have been a certain group of people around here who have never had any respect for Dre Kirkpatrick.  After last season many of them threw around the fact that ProFootballFocus ranked Dre as one of the absolute worst CBs in the league.  Even after I pointed out that based on PFF logic a CB who played less and messed up more often could be ranked AHEAD of Dre they still insisted that Kirkpatrick was horrible.

I have been waiting for Football Outsiders to post their CB rankings for '15.  They just posted their top 20 and worst 20, and hopefully they will have their complete rankings available within a few days.  Unlike the ridiculous PFF ranking, FO tries to use actual measurable stats to rank CBs.  They required that a CB either start 8 games or be targeted 50 times to qualify for their ranking.  In 2015 seventy-five CBs qualified.  So if a player does not appear in the "worst 20" that means he ranks at least in the top 55.

Average Yards Per Target....Dre ranked 18th in the league (7.0 avg).  Patrick Peterson lead the league with a 4.4 avg, and Adam Jones was 2nd at 4.5.

Success Rate, the percentage of targets where the corner prevented a successful gain (45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third or fourth down)....Dre ranked 32nd.  Patrick Peterson was also #1 in this catagory (70%) and Adam Jones was 5th (65%)

Completion Percentage Allowed....FO actually does not rank CBs by this stats, but from looking at the lists I can calculate the completion percentage allowed for 70 of the 75 qualifying CBs.  Dre's .483 ranks 19 of those 70.  Delvin Breaux ranked #1 with a .373 and Adam Jones was 13th with .455.

Estimated Target Rate, the percentage of possible targets with the corner on the field where the corner was targeted in pass coverage by the opposing offense....Dre ranked 54th.  I really don't put a lot of credibility in this stat because I think it is more about the other players in the secondary and which CB plays the #1 WR most often.  The Steelers William Gay ranked #1 (11.2%) mainly because the Steelers other two CBs were among the worst in the league (Antwon Blake was 73rd in Success Rate and Ross Cockrell was 65th)

Dre also finished in the top 20 in passes defended with 13.

Dre's biggest weakness was poor tackling.  His broken tackle percentage was the 8th worst in the league.  Despite ranking 3rd in tackles by a CB with 65 he had 16 broken tackles.

Just like everyone else here I have seen dre get beaten, but too many people think that no other CBs in the league get beat as often as Dre.  That just is not true.  It is good to finally find some stats to prove this."

With injuries, and how much Dennard and Dre always seem to get hurt, it would have been nice to see Leon back.

They need a slot guy, and watching Hall against the screens last year was awesome. He was never afraid to tackle, like I see with Dre. 

I think it's a mistake not getting him back, maybe it won't be, but they could really use that slot guy. Hopefully everybody can stay healthy, but so far they have not. Good luck Leon!

2 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

Some research done on Kirkpatrick on another website:

"There have been a certain group of people around here who have never had any respect for Dre Kirkpatrick.  After last season many of them threw around the fact that ProFootballFocus ranked Dre as one of the absolute worst CBs in the league.  Even after I pointed out that based on PFF logic a CB who played less and messed up more often could be ranked AHEAD of Dre they still insisted that Kirkpatrick was horrible.

I have been waiting for Football Outsiders to post their CB rankings for '15.  They just posted their top 20 and worst 20, and hopefully they will have their complete rankings available within a few days.  Unlike the ridiculous PFF ranking, FO tries to use actual measurable stats to rank CBs.  They required that a CB either start 8 games or be targeted 50 times to qualify for their ranking.  In 2015 seventy-five CBs qualified.  So if a player does not appear in the "worst 20" that means he ranks at least in the top 55.

Average Yards Per Target....Dre ranked 18th in the league (7.0 avg).  Patrick Peterson lead the league with a 4.4 avg, and Adam Jones was 2nd at 4.5.

Success Rate, the percentage of targets where the corner prevented a successful gain (45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third or fourth down)....Dre ranked 32nd.  Patrick Peterson was also #1 in this catagory (70%) and Adam Jones was 5th (65%)

Completion Percentage Allowed....FO actually does not rank CBs by this stats, but from looking at the lists I can calculate the completion percentage allowed for 70 of the 75 qualifying CBs.  Dre's .483 ranks 19 of those 70.  Delvin Breaux ranked #1 with a .373 and Adam Jones was 13th with .455.

Estimated Target Rate, the percentage of possible targets with the corner on the field where the corner was targeted in pass coverage by the opposing offense....Dre ranked 54th.  I really don't put a lot of credibility in this stat because I think it is more about the other players in the secondary and which CB plays the #1 WR most often.  The Steelers William Gay ranked #1 (11.2%) mainly because the Steelers other two CBs were among the worst in the league (Antwon Blake was 73rd in Success Rate and Ross Cockrell was 65th)

Dre also finished in the top 20 in passes defended with 13.

Dre's biggest weakness was poor tackling.  His broken tackle percentage was the 8th worst in the league.  Despite ranking 3rd in tackles by a CB with 65 he had 16 broken tackles.

Just like everyone else here I have seen dre get beaten, but too many people think that no other CBs in the league get beat as often as Dre.  That just is not true.  It is good to finally find some stats to prove this."

In some fan circles there's always got to be whipping boy.    

Read or heard, can't remember, that WJIII was going for a second opinion.   Hopefully it's not a bad tear and doesn't take him out for the season.   Since there is no rush or need for injury reports we likely won't know until final cut roster day.   Of course if it's clearly a bad tear he'll be IR sooner.

Jackson, the first-round pick who tore his pectoral muscle Monday, undergoes surgery to re-attach it but Lewis said there’s a chance he could return late in the season. Jackson would have to spend the first eight weeks on injured reserve, but unlike the past few years they can wait to designate one player to return from IR after the eight weeks are up.

From Bengals.com.

Interesting.   So I guess WJIII will go on IR as normal but after 8 weeks they COULD select him or anyone off IR to return.    So there's no need to designate him or anyone at the end of camp.