Training Camp

HoosierCat

Finally got a chance to watch the game. First off, Munoz really wants to have Boling's baby or something. I swear he talked about him nonstop for the whole first quarter.

First unit O looked reasonably crisp. Stalled out tho and of course Nugent misses. Bengals are overdue for a new kicker but that's been the case for a couple years now.

WR corps looks better overall than I expected. I guess Lap wasn't kidding about Erickson. Kid locked in a PS spot minimum Friday.

Defense looks ready. Heard Clarke's name a couple times. Hunt as usual did jack. Hardison had a few good plays. Geno is a golden god. Secondary acquitted itself well given all the injuries.

on to next week.

Forget any talk of Hunt getting cut, released or any of that nonsense.  They don't have anyone else.  After Dunlap and MJ, you have Hunt, Clarke.
Hardison can play DE, but they've always listed him at DT.  Considering Thompson probably starting on PUP and Billings having surgery, that won't change.
He may not give them any more than he has to this point, but he's certainly going to get the snaps to find out this year.
DE certainly gets addressed early in the 2017 draft.

I love how all of a sudden, everyone of these WR's is going to make the roster (according to the analysts) after one preseason game.
There are 6 WR spots right ??  AJ, LaFell, Boyd are locks.  That leaves 3 more, with one of those being inactive on game days.
So who are the other two ??  Core looked good, Wright is loved by all coaches and plays ST, and then there's Tate.
Alford will get more shots and Erickson put pressure on, but will the coaches take either over what they feel Tate brings ??  (Not what we think, the coaches)

They have McCarron through 2017 for a sack of peanuts and I can't say as I can recall a time where I've loved our QB situation as much as I do.
That being said, they won't tag him and won't pay him starter money, which he will rightfully command on the market.
With that being the case, how do they not look to get something in return for him next year ??
If they can turn a 5th round pick, they won't be holding onto, into an early round pick or more that's the smart move in my opinion.

Looking forward to this Thursdays game at the Lions !!!

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Forget any talk of Hunt getting cut, released or any of that nonsense.  They don't have anyone else.  After Dunlap and MJ, you have Hunt, Clarke.
Hardison can play DE, but they've always listed him at DT.  Considering Thompson probably starting on PUP and Billings having surgery, that won't change.
He may not give them any more than he has to this point, but he's certainly going to get the snaps to find out this year.
DE certainly gets addressed early in the 2017 draft.

I love how all of a sudden, everyone of these WR's is going to make the roster (according to the analysts) after one preseason game.
There are 6 WR spots right ??  AJ, LaFell, Boyd are locks.  That leaves 3 more, with one of those being inactive on game days.
So who are the other two ??  Core looked good, Wright is loved by all coaches and plays ST, and then there's Tate.
Alford will get more shots and Erickson put pressure on, but will the coaches take either over what they feel Tate brings ??  (Not what we think, the coaches)

They have McCarron through 2017 for a sack of peanuts and I can't say as I can recall a time where I've loved our QB situation as much as I do.
That being said, they won't tag him and won't pay him starter money, which he will rightfully command on the market.
With that being the case, how do they not look to get something in return for him next year ??
If they can turn a 5th round pick, they won't be holding onto, into an early round pick or more that's the smart move in my opinion.

Looking forward to this Thursdays game at the Lions !!!

Yes, they need to actively look for draft picks next offseason.  Using McCarron to get another 2nd  or 3rd rounder would be great.  As long as it isn't with the Browns or Stealers.

I still feel that Big Ben is looking at the end quickly and it may show up this season.

The WR battle is not going to disappoint as far as the annual debate for the bottom tier spots and how many to keep.    Once again it's a high quality battle it appears.   Credit must go to the scouts and coaches.

I'm not the biggest Tate fan, but once again here we are debating him or looking for the replacement in TC.  Tate showing up in the preseason start, has me thinking he won't go anywhere.   Which completely clouds the picture because he historically isn't a productive WR and he's been held around just for KR.  I don't know.

Erickson coming from no where to getting first half snaps then catching a TD, then punt return TD suggests he's more than this year's TC hero story.

So start the speculation of keeping 1 more WR over another spot.  Then haggling over who can sneak through to the practice squad or IR.

McCarron might be sneaking up to first round pick status.  Not sure how the Bengals can keep him given he'd be given a chance for a starter spot and low level starter money this past offseason.    His stock is only going to increase.   

Hopefully, the front office talks with McCarron before making any moves.

I agree that it is likely that he'll want to go somewhere where he can be the starter and make starter money.  If thats the case, trade him before his contract is up for a 2nd round pick or better, because otherwise all you will get is a low 3rd round comp pick (in essence, a very high 4th round pick) that comes a year later and only if you dont have other free agent signings that year to offset it

If he wants to stay and is content as a backup - a rarity, highly unlikely, but it happens -  extend him early, with extra pay in the contract language for games he starts or plays more than 75% of the snaps, so that for those games where is a starter, he is paid commensurately

also

I looked up the meaning of the name Erikson, and it turns out that if you go to the old Viking language, it means DIE TATE DIE

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

They have McCarron through 2017 for a sack of peanuts

That's true, when they were drafting McCarron, Dalton had input and specifically asked if they could get someone who was interested in a sack of nuts.  Katie and the front office come through for Dalton again.  

I doubt Tate is going anywhere.  The Bengals would sooner try to stick Erickson on the PS or cut him outright than part with Tate, regardless of our gripes.  To Tate's credit, when he does see the field as a receiver he seems to do good things; it's just not often that he ever did with Jones and Sanu in front of him.  I could see him getting more time on offense with Boyd still learning.

Locks:  Green, LaFell, Boyd

Likely:  Tate

Bubble:  Wright, Erickson, Alford, Core, Kumerow

No:  Bennett, Grant, Russell, Simonise

Right now I think it'd be Wright and Core.  Erickson will need to prove Friday night wasn't an aberration.

A fun drinking game while watching preseason games on ch 12 is to take a sip everytime Munoz answers a laudatory Brad Johanson comment with "he really does..." Last week I had my first sip after Munoz' opening sentence. 

4 hours ago, GapControl said:

Of all the "insiders" I find Lap has the most insight.  Munoz probably knows as much as Lap but I don't hear his opinions as much somehow

11 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

A fun drinking game while watching preseason games on ch 12 is to take a sip everytime Munoz answers a laudatory Brad Johanson comment with "he really does..." Last week I had my first sip after Munoz' opening sentence. 

That's true ... I never thought about that but I can hear Munoz even now saying "he really does" hahaha

good drinking game ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey look, guys! It's a rookie holdout!

http://deadspin.com/joey-bosas-agent-fires-back-at-san-diego-chargers-1785736947

Props to the Chargers and Joey Bosa for going all old school this year. Man, I remember when we used to have rookie holdouts. Those were the days!

Apparently the Chargers' FO is engaged in the kind of coin-shaving that might make even Mike Brown blush. They want to defer Bosa's signing bonus -- pay it out over time vs. all at once -- and they want offset language so if he gets cut in year 4, any new money he gets signing with another team offsets anything the Chargers still owe him (like a deferred portion of said signing bonus).

Since the new CBA was put in place, all the picks in his slot have signed deals with a deferred bonus OR offset language, but not both. Bosa's camp has said they will take a deal with either item, but not both. But the Chargers, apparently worried about some money they might have to spend four years from now, have held firm.

While there are a lot of things I wouldn't put past Mikey, I don't think even he is that cheap.

Bosa has no leverage at this point and as usual Tom Condon's firm is using the players career as the axe to take shots at NFL franchises to fight precedent which is a disguise to further market his services to future NFL contract seekers.

There is no magical precedent for being a top 5 pick that's greater than being a Charger draft pick.    There is also no precedent when the pick before and after Bosa agreed to the same structure that SD is requesting.    

Time for Bosa to show up for work and cash a check that will pay him more money this calendar year than any other rookie except Carson Wentz.   Tom Condon is using him and his career as a pawn to simply use this deal to show future client what he got for the No. 3 pick that No. 2 and No. 4 didn't.

Just like he got Bradford on the hot seat demanding a trade that wasn't going to happen. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

There is also no precedent when the pick before and after Bosa agreed to the same structure that SD is requesting.    

Since the new CBA was put in place, all the picks in his r1 - 3rd slot have signed deals with a deferred bonus OR offset language, but not both. SD wants the precedent, CAA is fighting it. I think you have your facts wrong.

Edit to add: most normal folks would simply take the $17M signing bonus and get into camp to work/me included.

Is CAA using Bosa to maintain that NFL teams stick to the either or model? Yes.

Are the Chargers trying to force a break in precedent that has implications for all drafted players going forward? Yes.

Since it's a matter of principal and precedent, and lawyers are involved, look for plenty more bad blood and possibly no resolution.

On 8/16/2016 at 11:23 AM, Sea Ray said:

"I'll tell you what" (at least 50X a game)

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 0:58 AM, GapControl said:

Oh and McCarron is a season away from being a starting QB  - not sure what the Bengals decide to do with him

IF he doesn't play at all this year - which is very possible - it certainly decreases the chance another team will throw big money at him to be a starter when his FA starts.  

Dalton isn't going anywhere no matter how he plays, for 3 more seasons.  Can only hope they find a way to keep McCarron around as valuable insurance, and match a #2-level offer that isn't nuts.  I can see that happening possibly if Dalton plays his usual 16 game season this year, but then again they're already paying Dalton over $13 million this year and will be doing that from now on, and I know how Brown doesn't like to pay more than one guy at a time per position.

• Like 2