Training Camp

HoosierCat

Watched the whole game via Game Pass.

1. The first team was in for the first series which ended up with a Nugent missed FG and a 3 and out for the defense with an almost sack by Atkins, a sack by Atkins, and an almost sack by Dunlap, forcing an incomplete third down pass.

2. McCarron picked up from where he left off last year. Bengals should get a good deal for him after the season.

3. Vigil looked as advertised. I was more impressed with him than Dawson. Vigil should see a lot of snaps, especially the first 3 games.

4.  Cody Core looked good.

5.  Hunt looked no better than last year.

6.  Again, Dawson looked average at best.

7.  Licata looked better than Wenning, who looked weak.

I didn't notice any injuries with the exception of Hill with a possible hand injury.

Saw the game on gamepass here in Japan.  

1. Erickson made his case to return punts and make the active roster over Alford.

2. Tate played well all around with the ones as usual.

3. After Fisher and Og left、the third string tackles were terrible.  

3. Hill and Gio looked ready for the season to start.

4. Cody Core is a lock for the roster.  

5. Kumerow made a huge mistake tracking a ball.

6. There was a terrible high snap from either Bodine or Johnson.

7. Derron Smith made a couple plays at the LOS

8. Defense needs Shaw to be a backup.  He isn't ready to start S (may be better as a NB at the moment )

9.  Virgil was all over and outshines Dawson- though PD was in the right position on a lot of plays and makes the roster.

10. Bad game for Flowers. Maybe he sticks on ST though.  Same for Fejed blah blah the rookie safety.

11.  Never saw burkhead.

12.  Zampese called a tremendous amount of pass plays

13.  The Vikings training camp bodies basically dominated ours at the LOS and in coverage and catching until the big punt return.

14. #91 was very disruptive don't know if that's Hardison or Williams.

15.  Hunt has improved and I think he makes some plays before the preseason is over.

I was at the game.

~ I agree that Vigil is off to a fine start.  I thought Dawson still did enough to keep himself afloat on special teams.

~ I have no immediate beefs with Zampese.  Early in the game when Gio and Hill were the primary backs, he was definitely more run-oriented in his playcalling than not.  In the first drive with Dalton he called 5 passes and 3 runs, and in the 1st quarter he called 11 passes and 14 runs.  It all seemed quite vanilla as is typical of the preseason, but it wasn't unbalanced.

~ I've never been more comfortable with the backup QB situation.  It'll suck to lose him no matter how it happens.  Keith Wenning doesn't seem to offer much though.

~ He didn't go anywhere in the run game (I think the offensive line was great early in the game and degraded to poor later), but Cedric Peerman is still one of my favorite Bengals on this roster.

~ I like Cody Core.  He and McCarron especially seemed to have an immediate rapport.

~ Tyler Boyd looks as advertised -- a Sanu clone.  He had little-to-no separation on his two deep targets, but he still hauled one in impressively (thanks in part to a perfect throw from McCarron).  I think he'll be an asset.

~ GapControl is right about Kumerow.  His failure to track that ball deep caused him to hold up in his route and let it flutter out of reach, and it was cringe-worthy.  I think he knew it too, based on his body language.  He has work to do to overcome that goof, especially with Erickson playing so well.

~ Joe Licata looked okay in his first possession, but I think that was more about his receivers getting wide open than him doing anything notable.

~ Alford returning punts was interesting.  He made one nice play outrunning everyone to the sideline to turn a dead return into a solid gain.  But then Erickson overshadowed that entirely.  It'll be interesting to see how the bottom of the WR depth chart shakes out.

~ I actually thought Hunt looked worse than usual when I paid attention to him.  He got absolutely flattened when Bridgewater completed the TD bomb to Charles Johnson.  To be fair, Minnesota still had much of their starting unit in at that point, but that's kind of the problem.

• Like 1

As far as 1st preseason games go.  Give it an A.    Dominated early.    Hunt and Dawson got lost on a possible safety that turned into first down.   That led to the Vikings first score which was bad, bad, bad coverage.  

Yeah, I wonder were Burkhead was.    Hill was still in pads and I think carrying an ice bag.  I would guess/hope not real serious.  

Hunt collapsed the pocket a couple times.   On the TD the DTs got whipped out and Bridgewater stepped upand Clarke/Hunt had good pressure from the ends.

Hunts worse play was on the missed safety,IMO.   Just ran off on pursuit and allowed the cut back lane. 

Hunt will more be of a factor this year.  This is the earliest and most he's played in preseason.  Plus they moved him around so it looks like for the first he's carving out a role.    None of this is to suggest he'll be an all star

I think they are in desperation mode with  Hunt, and trying him at a "new" position to see if he can show anything...so far, not much.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut, or not.

Hard to judge Dawson, looked slow at times and completely over-played that big cut back run by over-pursuing the hell out of it and getting burned.  That said you see him all over the field and holds his own for the most part.  He's great depth though and worth keeping around I think, to see if he gets it in the next year or so.  Guys are going to get hurt in front of him. 

If Vigil bulks-up some he could be something possibly, for now, ST's is where he'll be.

McCarron isn't going anywhere btw, as long as they control him and is affordable, they'll keep him.

Over-all they looked as-expected I thought, but should get much better in weeks 3-4 when Eifert and Burfict return, if that isn't obvious.  CB's that are left need to stay healthy though.  The Vikings looked pretty punchless, especially their o-line, Geno and Co. chewed them up.

8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Hunt collapsed the pocket a couple times.   On the TD the DTs got whipped out and Bridgewater stepped upand Clarke/Hunt had good pressure from the ends.

Hunts worse play was on the missed safety,IMO.   Just ran off on pursuit and allowed the cut back lane. 

Hunt will more be of a factor this year.  This is the earliest and most he's played in preseason.  Plus they moved him around so it looks like for the first he's carving out a role.    None of this is to suggest he'll be an all star

I think Amp and I saw the same things out of Hunt.  He looked better than the years of Old Man Geathers so there is atleast that.  

#91 is Hardison and as of now I think he makes the roster. He was playing against backups but he stood out.  

Looking theough the roster on the .com, the team has really put together an athletic, tall, strong roster.  When this team finally challenges for the crown, Tobin, Lewis, and the  Family deserve all the credit.

Thats not to mention how great the coaching staffs have been recently.  Paul Brown would be proud.  I especially like Coyle, Haslett, and Burney.   

7 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

McCarron isn't going anywhere btw, as long as they control him and is affordable, they'll keep him.

Pleeeaaaaseee!  

First off, nobody, with potential, wants to be a backup.

Secondly, the Bengals will not pay him what he could make on the market as a starter.

2 hours ago, gregcook68 said:

Pleeeaaaaseee!  

First off, nobody, with potential, wants to be a backup.

Secondly, the Bengals will not pay him what he could make on the market as a starter.

I think Shula means he won't go anywhere until he gets close to his rookie contract expiring.

Hunt is a victim of his draft spot and hard knocks 2013.    People expect JJ Watt. 

Not going to happen. He'll probably never be that.  

I hate making roster predictions but based on 1 preseason game but all signs point to him being rotational guy vs being cut. 

Last year they held him on the 53 for half a season despite back issues and soon as he was healed they played him.  He was in very early preseason game 1 and in multiple spots that isnt typically a roster bubble guy.  

Just my take