Bengals 53 man roster

Wraith

I've always been in favor of rosters (including game day rosters) expanding by around a dozen players or so, maybe with some gameday limitation along the lines that they cant have their helmet (and ergo cant enter the field) unless a player at a matching position group (OL for OL, LB for LB, etc, K for K) leaves the field

44 minutes ago, COB said:

I wonder if he'll ever convert weight room strength to functional strength.  Geno's functional/football strength is freakish.  

This.

It's like saying "I'm good at relationships.  Because I've been in a lot of them.  Therefore, I'm the relationship expert."

Errr...or something like that.  My day job is showing through.

Yeah Hunt is a guy who again could be kept around or even would have been drafted later if roster limits were set the way TJ said (expanding by a dozen or so).

HOF Kevin Greene said Hunt is superior in all physical aspects but as we all know, he has yet to show that means he can be a good pro football player.

Something to note: Hayes is gone as DL Coach so the responsibility now falls to Jacob Burney (I think he coached Greene along with Marvin Lewis back in the day in Pitt)

I've seen plenty of people during my days in the Army that were just some of the craziest strong people I've ever been around.
That being said, they were in the Army.  Not the NFL, MLB, NBA, or whatever sports league you want to name.
It simply doesn't always translate and Hunt seems to fall squarely in that thought process.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Something to keep in mind...

There almost has to have been some sort of under the table promise that he was in the plans for next year.  Hard to believe Mike wouldn't reward this kind of loyalty.

On 12/05/2016 at 8:02 PM, COB said:

There almost has to have been some sort of under the table promise that he was in the plans for next year.  Hard to believe Mike wouldn't reward this kind of loyalty.

Not necessarily - perhaps he likes the coaching, thinks it's improving him, or even he likes Ohio and doesn't like the heat/humidity of Louisiana, family may have settled and not want uprooting, could be he has made great friends here, .....or perhaps he thinks the Bengals are genuine contenders while the Saints are not.

Well, from what I've been able to find, it looks like they carried 10 D-linemen last year, with 5 at each spot and Hardison being inactive.

DT:
Atkins, Peko, Billings, Sims, Hardison, Thompson (ACL), Williams

DE:
Dunlap, Johnson, Hunt, Clarke,

There are a few more scrub names in there which are probably to help them get through camps and preseason, but hardly worth mentioning in regards to starters.

Williams was brought up when Thompson went down with the ACL he looks to be headed for the PUP to start 2016.
Can't forget that Gillberry is no longer with the team and they didn't draft a DE.
Is Fat Pat safe ??  I think he really gets pushed this season and it's not like they haven't let him go before.

I could easily see a situation where they carry Hardison as a DE, since he also played there in college.
I can't help but wonder if they don't try to grab up a vet DE before heading into camps as well.  Didn't they bring that dude in from New England for a look see ??
If Thompson goes to the PUP, you have 5 DT's with Williams being inactive in my line of thought.

Still a long way with camps and preseason to go.  Time will tell....

Hobs is of the opinion that they will go light (9) of the DL, at least initially, so they can carry an extra LB or LB/S like Mays for the first three games because of Burfict's BS suspension. If for no other reason than that I think Thompson starting the season on PUP is almost a foregone conclusion. If they do go with 9 IMO it comes down to Sims, Hunt and Clarke, so ultimately it may depend on how they feel about Hardison.

I've already written Hunt and Clarke off as wasted picks. Don't know if the Bengals are ready to move on tho.

Dominique Easley is the X-Pat who came in for a workout.  He's injury riddled since college but a first round pick.  If he's signed, he probably doesn't make the roster. If he were to , or any vet DL signed from here on out, they replace Sims or Hunt with him, maybe Clarke.  Peko is safe.  I agree with Hoosier that Hunt is a complete 2nd round bust.  If he can't do something now, he should be released.

They really only have 4 DE's at this point if there are no DT's that they feel can play that spot.
As crappy as I personally feel Hunt and Clarke are, who else is there ??  Gilberry is gone and they draft no one at the DE spot.
They really have little to no choice but to keep both of them and they will both see increased playing time in 2016.

Easley, that's it.  I remember him being a walking injury in NE, but the fact they brought him in at all is telling at this point.
They may go light on the d-line, but I really think they are to limited to do so.

It's a different type of roster this year for DL, S, and WR.  The Bengals have seemingly put themselves in a position where they will have to play people with little to no NFL playing time (meaning in-game, regular season snaps on O or D).

DL Clarke, Hunt, Hardison, Williams are all situational or practice squad guys.

at S- we have the former 3rd round pick now penciled in to take Reggie Nelson's starting spot (Shawn Williams)

and WR- Tyler Boyd and possibly another rookie will take significant O snaps

There could be a possibility the Bengals do take a step back this year due to all the young unknowns.  We are all counting on these guys to fufill their potential and it is quite a few guys who will have to do that.

I agree that it's going to be a different roster, but I'm not as concerned about Boyd filling in as he's not going to be more than the 3rd or 4th look.
He's going to be competing for targets with AJ, Tyler, LaFell and even Gio out of the backfield.  I think he will be just fine and I don't worry about the offense.

Defense is another story.
I know they are really high on Williams and I really will be rooting for him, but expecting him to give them what Nelson did last year may be a bit much.
I'm interested to see what the LB corps does this year.  Dansby, Dawson, and the unknown of Vigil is intriguing.
The DE spot is certainly a concern as I'm looking at the roster.  I still can't help but think they pick up another vet player at the spot.
If injuries hit them, they are going to be hurting.

Seriously, lets look closer in understanding they carried 5 DE's last year:
MJ, Dunlap, Hunt, Clarke
After them, Dezmond Johnson and Ryan Brown.
WHO ??  Yeah, that's a problem.

Greg Hardy Begging For another NFL shot

I would be OK with the Bengals giving Hardy a shot with a 1 year vet minimum deal.  Lots of talent left in that man, if he is really trying to improve himself with treatment for his mental issues, he deserves another chance.

9 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Greg Hardy Begging For another NFL shot

he deserves another chance.

And the Bengals do love a redemption project 

Army, I had my own doubts about Shawn Williams, but he has come on a bit towards the end of last year, if if there was any remaining doubt that the recent praise was just lip service, that all went away today

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/17/bengals-sign-safety-shawn-williams-four-year-extension/84482380/

Another case of being happy I was wrong

There's another thread about Williams and I hope he lives up to the coaches thoughts about him.
4 games started and 2 INT's in three seasons won't convince me.  Call me Thomas...

In reference the DE situation, F*CK Greg Hardy.  That dude is not only a mess, he didn't do sh*t last year when given every opportunity to redeem himself.
Put me in the camp that would rather see them bring in old Dwight Feeney who had 8 sacks for the Cardinals last year.
That would be a nice patch until they could address the position in the 2017 draft.

I understand mental issues for real and him sending a letter to all the teams wouldn't be enough to sway me.
That comes off as wanting to make sure he's going to have a job in 2016.