Bengals 53 man roster

Wraith

Hardison was another one of those picks I absolutely loved.  I agree in thinking there will be reps for him at DE this season.
Considering that Gilberry is gone and they drafted no DE's, it looks like his opportunity to show.
Have to figure Hunt's time is about up if he doesn't produce and Clarke is a question mark at best for me right now.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hardison was another one of those picks I absolutely loved.  I agree in thinking there will be reps for him at DE this season.
Considering that Gilberry is gone and they drafted no DE's, it looks like his opportunity to show.
Have to figure Hunt's time is about up if he doesn't produce and Clarke is a question mark at best for me right now.

Yeah the exit of Gilberry frees up about 50-60% snaps per game in the rotation.

3 hours ago, GapControl said:

One UDFA who could make it would be the wide receiver.  Core could be cut easily since a 6th isn't that valuable.... Unless it's Brady.

He looks promising, but he is he not slower than Core?  Core either makes the team or the PS.

After looking again I see that Core is faster in the 40, 20 and 10 splits out jumps him Vertically and broad and had two more reps at 225 lbs.

I don't think he will be taking a spot from Core:

Core                      Toledo guy (Russell)

4.37     40                 4.44

2.60    20                  2.68

1.54     10                 1.63         

The western KY guy is even slower than the Toledo dude.  I don't understand the hate for Core, I think he is one of the better picks in this draft.  He is ready to play day one as a deep threat guy and can be taught the rest of the routes as the year progresses. 

23 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Hardison is a DT, not a DE.....so......??

He's both and played a TON of DE at Arizona St.  Go back and watch some of the highlights of his last season and you will see.
There's actually a lot there to be excited about and why I really liked the pick !!!

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

There's actually a lot there to be excited about and why I really liked the pick !!!

I loved the Hardison pick as much as I love the Billings pick ......the core of the D should (if the guys develop/perform as expected/anticipated) be set for years to come 

6 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

He looks promising, but he is he not slower than Core?  Core either makes the team or the PS.

After looking again I see that Core is faster in the 40, 20 and 10 splits out jumps him Vertically and broad and had two more reps at 225 lbs.

I don't think he will be taking a spot from Core:

Core                      Toledo guy (Russell)

4.37     40                 4.44

2.60    20                  2.68

1.54     10                 1.63         

The western KY guy is even slower than the Toledo dude.  I don't understand the hate for Core, I think he is one of the better picks in this draft.  He is ready to play day one as a deep threat guy and can be taught the rest of the routes as the year progresses. 

I did not realize how fast Core is.  Is he now the fastest 40 time of the WRs?

On 02/05/2016 at 3:52 PM, Wraith said:

DT: Domata Peko, Geno Atkins, Marcus Hardison, DeShawn Williams, Andrew Billings, Brandon Thompson - It comes down to Thompson and Sims and my bet is they take the younger guy although Sims outplayed Thompson last year.  Coaches have really talked up Williams, barring injury he makes the team IMHO.

How is Brandon Thomson doing with his recovery from the ACL tear?  Will he be in a position to be part of the 53 man squad or will he start the season on Injured Reserved or the PUP list ??

12 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Gap:

I believe Alford timed faster, and is the fastest on the team currently

RBB:

Cores' 40 time at the combine was 4.47.  Pro Day was 4.37. 

The truth is probably somewhere in between. 

but even a 4.47 is solid for a WR his size

Could be, I think the site I was using gives the best times during the past off-season that a prospect recorded.

Seems as though the .com site has his fastest time at 4.41, I'm confused as to what it actually is now.

On 2016年5月6日 at 8:21 PM, redsbengalsbucks said:

Could be, I think the site I was using gives the best times during the past off-season that a prospect recorded.

Seems as though the .com site has his fastest time at 4.41, I'm confused as to what it actually is now.

That would be a good question to shoot Brenden Warner if he's seeing them live at camp.  Maybe Hoard or Lap too.  No matter what, this year is a big scramble at WR after Green, Boyd, and I'll include Lafell.  I think he got too much gauranteed money to be cut.

On May 6, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Scottishbengal said:

How is Brandon Thomson doing with his recovery from the ACL tear?  Will he be in a position to be part of the 53 man squad or will he start the season on Injured Reserved or the PUP list ??

Likely PUP according to Hobson.

Probably the biggest reason I think that Billings was the best pick for the Bengals draft is the effect he can have on the defense as a whole.

He slipped to the 4th because he's a 2 down DT?  But really when you look at his potential it's that he'll demand attention from the opposing O line.

This will free up Atkins and the DE's waaaay more than Peko ever could.  Peko does not penetrate, he does not command double teams.  He holds the line where he is and is decent against the run. That's it.

Billings presence is a wrecking ball.  It makes no difference that he can't cleanly pursue the QB.  To me he's a potential 3 down DT and a huge difference maker for the entire defense.

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate ( since I really like Billings and the value of the pick ).... What makes Billings better than Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, never really did anything on gameday and is now a DE for the Texans?  It's almost impossible for me to get college football games so I don't have anything other than raw stats and NFL Network to use to grade incoming players.

Billings is a football nut, Still was not.  If you listen to Billings talk or listen to his coaches, it is clear football if very important to him.

Billings will do the work that will make him better (ala Geno) where Still (understandably) did/could not.

Billings strikes me as a player that simply understands what he is capable of and is confident that he is stronger than the guy he's going up against.
It would appear that Geno may have an equal in the weight room now and I can see Billings fitting right in with that group of players.

I have to say I'm surprised Still didn't really do that much since coming into the league.

In 39 games at Penn St., Still had 113 tackles with 32.5 as losses and 10.5 sacks.
In 35 games at Baylor, Billings had 107 tackles with 30 as losses and 8.5 sacks.

Not to dissimilar when looking at the both of them.  I think once Still had everything come up with Leah like he did, things simply changed.
I don't blame him whatsoever and wish him nothing but the best down in Houston, but he should have become more in this league than he has.
If he doesn't succeed from here in the NFL, he has NOTHING to look back on in regret.

Here's to hoping Billings can simply remain focused and learn from those around him on the d-line, without all the stress life can bring.
If that happens, we have something special to look forward to on Sundays.

9 hours ago, GapControl said:

Playing devils advocate ( since I really like Billings and the value of the pick ).... What makes Billings better than Devon Still who was a 2nd round pick, never really did anything on gameday and is now a DE for the Texans?  It's almost impossible for me to get college football games so I don't have anything other than raw stats and NFL Network to use to grade incoming players.

Good question.   Still was heck of a prospect once too.    Still  never held the LOS consistently and probably because he played too high.

Some of the strength numbers associated with Billings are almost unbelievable considering he went in the 4th round with game film production too.

I don't think Still put full effort into football when he was with the Bengals. 

Again, I simply don't think Still was ever ABLE to focus on football when considering Leah.  How could you ??
I went back and took a look at highlight videos of both Still and Billings and they don't look too dissimilar, outside of Still being 6'5.
One thing I did notice was Billings' ability to work through double teams and his brute strength in tossing guys aside.

Billings was disappointed with his 31 reps of 225lbs at the Combine, but his coaches reported that he had 36 reps of 230lbs at Baylor. 
There's a term I use to hear thrown around the military many years ago that's no longer PC to use, so I will just say that's Stupid Strong !!!

Good comments on Still.  He definitely was sidetracked by his daughters illness.  Being 6'5 maybe he couldn't get low enough  for the pro game on the interior.  He could be an Ahmad Brooks type where it all clicks a little bit later in his career. Goes back to Mike Brown saying he thinks the team should be able to carry a bigger active/inactive roster.  Still could be part of the team still (lol) competing against the older guys and Billings/Hardison this year