Bengals 53 man roster

Wraith

Don't sleep on this D.     They played Pitt twice late in the season and people are overlooking the multiple young players logging snaps and playing very well.

Some combo of all the young potential players they have will hit and fill the gaps between their established NFL elite defenders.

Dunlap, Atkins, Burfict, Pac, and Dansby.  

I'm not worried about D-line at all.   Gilberry logged 60% snaps and came away with 2 sacks.   Clarke/Hunt trailed by only 1.5 sacks last year.   They have so many players that some combo is going to fill out and do the dirty work that Gilberry did and maybe provide more production, maybe.

I think this D could rise to challenge Zimmer's best Bengal units and maybe even Marvin's Baltimore all-time great unit.   CRAZY!

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I think this D could rise to challenge Zimmer's best Bengal units and maybe even Marvin's Baltimore all-time great unit.   CRAZY!

Bold statement. I'd i'd be very happy if history proved you right.

9 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

Bold statement. I'd i'd be very happy if history proved you right.

Now the 2000 Baltimore points per game of 10.whatever will never be beaten with these offensive favoring rules and penalties.       I do believe they could challenge the modern day elite standard of 14/15 per game.

Bengals D needs to cut out about 50-60 points from last year's total.  

I think the addition of Dansby is big.    Dawson and Vigil hopefully improve the lower ranks of the LB group. 

However,   Burfict missed a ton of time, had two knee surgeries one being very serious.   He came back like it was nothing the first game.  Blew up the Steelers immediately.  Simply amazing by itself.    But he then raised his game the last quarter of the season as he got his legs back.

Now the league is giving him a 3 week vacation to rest to start the season.      Oh boy.   That 3 game suspension will back fire on the rest of the league, big time.

I suppose if Hunt / Clarke get the same amount of playing time, we can expect some better numbers from them, but it's simply another area of concern for me.
There's no depth outside of those 4 and they carried 5 last year.  One injury and we see some nobody that no one has heard of taking snaps in a live game.
Even if those four are thought to be able to produce in the same manner, health is certainly not a guarantee.

So the kefluffel of the day appears to be that the Bengals put in a waiver wire claim on QB Zach Mettenberger. Giants did as well, but SD ended up with him.

Can't really see why they would be interested, other than that Mikey never saw a QB he didn't like.

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I suppose if Hunt / Clarke get the same amount of playing time, we can expect some better numbers from them, but it's simply another area of concern for me.
There's no depth outside of those 4 and they carried 5 last year.  One injury and we see some nobody that no one has heard of taking snaps in a live game.
Even if those four are thought to be able to produce in the same manner, health is certainly not a guarantee.

I think you are correct in worrying about the dirty work that isn't shown by stats and depth.

It really comes down to can Clarke/Hunt gain the coaches trust to assume the snaps of Gilberry assuming Dunlap/MJ are healthy.

If they can't they'll just run the two starting DEs into the ground. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, Scottishbengal said:

The Bengals have to put in a Tyler set.  Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft as the receiving threats.

Edit: I don't know why this quote box is here.

Edited by redsbengalsbucks
???

So now word trickles out that the Bengals are kicking the tires on 36-year-old Dwight Freeney. Meh. Not sure who you kick off the roster for a guy who at best would be a situational pass rusher. Unless they really are ready to end the Hunt and/or Clarke experiments.

I mentioned Freeney not long ago and the fact I would rather see them bring him and his 8 sacks last season into a situational role than that walking injury dude they had in.  I still cannot get over the fact they don't have more than 4 DE's in the roster.  They have 6 actually, but two are nothing more than camp fodder to take snaps and certainly no one you want to see getting game snaps in the case of injuries.  No surprise in my book.

I see the age concern, but I don't think it's valid in this situation.  Why ??  Simple.

They have Dunlap and MJ starting with both Hunt and Clarke as backups.
If the thought of Hunt and Clarke as the only backups aren't a concern, you can't forget they carried 5 DE's last season.
Then the next question is, what if one of those 4 gets dinged ??  Who's up ??  Someone that NO ONE has ever heard of, that's who.

I understand the concerns that may exist in that Freeney came out of a 3-4 in Arizona, but you cannot tell me he's worse than Ryan Brown.
Yes, Ryan freakin' Brown.  If Ryan Brown is better than Freeney, then I get that decision.
I'm having a hard time fathoming that being the case.

Hobson mentioned Freeney yesterday during his OTA notes.   Usually that is a positive sign of an up and coming addition.   Apparently Dansby and Freeney share the nutritionists.  Hobson got Dansbys thoughts on the prospects of Freeney joining the team.