Bengals 53 man roster

Wraith

Barring Injury (which we know will happen but it is impossible to predict) this should be the opening day 53 man roster.  IMHO there are very few if any decisions to make here.

QB: Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron - no questions here right?

RB: Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Rex Burkhead, Cedric Peerman - Again this is locked in stone unless something unforeseen happens.

FB: Ryan Hewitt - Nobody else on the roster

TE: Tyler Eifert, Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah - I think they saw enough of Kroft and Uzomah last year to say they have cemented a spot.  The lack of draft selections would seem to indicate this.

WR: AJ Green, Brandon LaFell, Tyler Boyd, Cody Core, Mario Alford, and James Wright - The only question is Alford, Wright, and Tate pick two of three.  I cannot see them waiving young guys like Alford and Wright for Tate but injuries will likely dictate their choices here.

OT: Andrew Whitworth, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Eric Winston - Again this is a no brainer.

OG: Clint Boling, Kevin Zeitler, Christian Westerman - With Winston and Whitworth able to play Guard as well as TJ Johnson they can afford to go with three guys here, they almost have to, to make the roster balanced.

C: Russell Bodine, TJ Johnson - Lock with Johnson's ability to flex into both Guard spots as needed.

DT: Domata Peko, Geno Atkins, Marcus Hardison, DeShawn Williams, Andrew Billings, Brandon Thompson - It comes down to Thompson and Sims and my bet is they take the younger guy although Sims outplayed Thompson last year.  Coaches have really talked up Williams, barring injury he makes the team IMHO.

DE: Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Will Clarke, Margus Hunt - Really thin group will need some attention next year, Hardison being able to flex between DE and DT helps.  Wouldn't surprise me if they bring in someone to challenge Hunt off the waiver wire.

OLB: Vontaze Burfict, Karlos Dansby, PJ Dawson, Nick Vigil

ILB: Rey Maualuga, Vinny Rey - LBers are again pretty well slotted unless Dawson flames out.

S: George Iloka, Shawn Williams, Derron Smith , Clinton Fejedelem - Shaw's ability to flex helps out here.

CB: Darqueze Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, William Jackson III, Adam Jones, Josh Shaw - The best 5 guys no doubt about it IMHO.

There it is 25 Offense and 25 Defense with three special teamers and not a lot of wiggle room.

Looks about right. I could see a couple vets making it over a Wright or Fejedelem only because they could be stashed on the taxi squad but that's basically nibbling at the margins.

I could see them giving Hardison a lot of looks at DE.Maybe even have him drop 15 pounds or so and move there full-time if Clarke or Hunt doesn't show something. And I doubt they will, I think we've seen all we're going to see from them.

Sims had a tackle for loss and batted pass in key series in the playoff game.  Basically took over on that series.   He's shown that ability since he was a rookie.    Sure it only appears a few times over a season but I think it's his role to lose in the DT rotation.

Flowers will have a say in the LB ranks.  Also Burfict doesn't count for 3 games so that helps keep numbers around then make decisions.

I don't think their 6th and 7th round picks this year are locks for the 53.  

Margus Hunt?  Who knows?  Had that back injury that clearly limited him.   They carried him inactive then his role in the defensive started to appear in the 2nd half of the season.  Sure be nice to have this guy have a pre season that challenged for a bigger role.   I've become a doubter that will ever happen.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

WR: AJ Green, Brandon LaFell, Tyler Boyd, Cody Core, Mario Alford, and James Wright - The only question is Alford, Wright, and Tate pick two of three.  I cannot see them waiving young guys like Alford and Wright for Tate but injuries will likely dictate their choices here.

Tate has stuck around for his use in the return game. Will Jacksons' pick as a CB free up Pacman to take on more returns? Alford, who came in with a returning  skill set, failed to make in-roads into that role. As much as I hate to see Tate's negative return style I think he has something on Mikey, (perhaps some photo's that involve raccoons, peanut butter, and a clown) so he'll stick around

Like I said injuries will likely decide the WR race since we are talking about one spot...the likelihood of all the WRs make it through camp without a single injury is very low.

I think I have all the draft selections making the roster and that has been the Bengals MO for years, they do not like cutting draft picks.

Different ball game this year for WR production.   Last year Green/Sanu/Jones were 99.9% of the WR production.   Bengals had great luck with WR health last year of the top 3.

That allowed them to use a game day spot for a sole KR.   Tate had 3 targets and 2 catches, 1 TD as a WR.  

This year behind Green it's all open.   I also think the spots behind Green won't be easily filled with just 2 players right off the bat it will take time or maybe completely different approach.    That's going to force the Bengals to evaluate the KR only spot they had last year.   

My guess is Tate will have to show more as a WR to stay around. 

47 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

My guess is Tate will have to show more as a WR to stay around.     

I'd rather see Burkhead through the slot than Tate, as a RB he can be an effective short yardage receiver

Hi Guys

I'm pretty happy with the initial picks, hope they can perform close to what they look like on paper

I really don't get the Tate hate. The guy has been solid and consistent. Rarely fumbles. Doesn't have many drops when they do put him in at receiver and will do whatever they ask of him on special teams. I think every team in the NFL needs guys like this. I'm interested in seeing what the 7th round safety can do he seems like another lunch pail type

not sure how much production we get out of the rook recievers

really hoping the linebacker can pan out, that's one position that's seemed to have alluded Marv since day one

over all the only group that looks a little shaky is DE (provided we don't have one of our run of injuries at one position pop back up)

Would be great if Hunt can finally contribute but not to optimistic he can

going to be an interesting year

4 of 6 on the road to start season one less home game because of London trip

haven't played well in NY, NY ever that I can remember

expecting big bounce back year from Hill

sorry kind of rambling

shock the world guys

• Like 1

11 hours ago, essexjohnson said:

I really don't get the Tate hate. The guy has been solid and consistent.

Aye, he catches the punt then runs 10 yards back towards his own goal-line before finally moving forward to grab 12 or 15 = very short yardage return. He does that consistently which is why I would rather have another returner (Pacman or whoever).

If it wasn't for his spot on teams as a returner would Tate make the roster purely as a WR? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

"Tate has sure hands and usually gains a few yards, with a couple of long returns thrown in.

This is why he is still on the team.  Not saying I would not like to see an upgrade, but it could be a whole lot worse."

If this were true he would have had more than 3 targets last year.

16 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

I'd rather see Burkhead through the slot than Tate, as a RB he can be an effective short yardage receiver

In terms of Kick return experimenting with RBs as returners is something the Bengals haven't done in a while but it isn't that odd.   So that's something for Burkhead too. 

May give up potential for game breaker for more consistent upgrade in return yardage.     With the touchback being moved to the 25 yard line, it may change team's approach all together.  

15 hours ago, essexjohnson said:

Would be great if Hunt can finally contribute but not to optimistic he can

Hunt can contribute, I think.   I seriously doubt it's anything world shattering.    At this point if he could up his snap counts to 25% and grab 3/4 sacks, I'd take it.

I don't think he'll ever be anything like the superstar that his natural athletic skill hints at.   In his limited playing time late last year,  if you watch you'll see him walk a tackle back into the qB with one hand a couple times.   But the guy doesn't have the killer instinct or something.

On May 2, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Wraith said:

Barring Injury (which we know will happen but it is impossible to predict) this should be the opening day 53 man roster.  IMHO there are very few if any decisions to make here.

QB: Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron - no questions here right?

RB: Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Rex Burkhead, Cedric Peerman - Again this is locked in stone unless something unforeseen happens.

FB: Ryan Hewitt - Nobody else on the roster

TE: Tyler Eifert, Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah - I think they saw enough of Kroft and Uzomah last year to say they have cemented a spot.  The lack of draft selections would seem to indicate this.

OT: Andrew Whitworth, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Eric Winston - Again this is a no brainer.

OG: Clint Boling, Kevin Zeitler, Christian Westerman - With Winston and Whitworth able to play Guard as well as TJ Johnson they can afford to go with three guys here, they almost have to, to make the roster balanced.

C: Russell Bodine, TJ Johnson - Lock with Johnson's ability to flex into both Guard spots as needed.

DT: Domata Peko, Geno Atkins, Marcus Hardison, DeShawn Williams, Andrew Billings, Brandon Thompson - It comes down to Thompson and Sims and my bet is they take the younger guy although Sims outplayed Thompson last year.  Coaches have really talked up Williams, barring injury he makes the team IMHO.

DE: Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Will Clarke, Margus Hunt - Really thin group will need some attention next year, Hardison being able to flex between DE and DT helps.  Wouldn't surprise me if they bring in someone to challenge Hunt off the waiver wire.

OLB: Vontaze Burfict, Karlos Dansby, PJ Dawson, Nick Vigil

ILB: Rey Maualuga, Vinny Rey - LBers are again pretty well slotted unless Dawson flames out.

S: George Iloka, Shawn Williams, Derron Smith , Clinton Fejedelem - Shaw's ability to flex helps out here.

CB: Darqueze Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, William Jackson III, Adam Jones, Josh Shaw - The best 5 guys no doubt about it IMHO.

There it is 25 Offense and 25 Defense with three special teamers and not a lot of wiggle room.

WR- I don't see Tate getting cut trust me I want it to happen but some one has a hard on for him in the front office

DT 6 /DE 4 - yeah I don't see this happening maybe 5/5 but team has always ran more DE because they like elephants who can kick in on passing downs.

22 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Hunt can contribute, I think.   I seriously doubt it's anything world shattering.    At this point if he could up his snap counts to 25% and grab 3/4 sacks, I'd take it.

I don't think he'll ever be anything like the superstar that his natural athletic skill hints at.   In his limited playing time late last year,  if you watch you'll see him walk a tackle back into the qB with one hand a couple times.   But the guy doesn't have the killer instinct or something.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hunt-seeks-Greenes-pastures/b15049f1-4ce2-46d2-b9e0-3dcbc40c7121

This may be a help to him.

27 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Ya never know, but things look pretty tight this year. If one makes it I would look at DE as the spot it happens.

Sounds like several interesting QB prospects who will give Wenning a run for his money.