6th Round: Cody Core, WR, Ole Miss

HoosierCat

A native of Auburn, Alabama and son of a former Troy State tight end (Thad), Core played mostly special teams, and even some defensive back, during his first two years in Oxford. But then the door opened for him as a receiver in 2014, and he took advantage (41-558, six touchdowns). Core's numbers didn't increase as a senior due to the return of Laquon Treadwell and quarterback Chad Kelly's ability to spread the ball around (37-644, four TD) but his big play ability (17.4 yards per catch in 2015) is obvious. 

PRO DAY RESULTS

20-yard short shuttle: 4.4 seconds 
3-cone: 6.75 seconds 
Vertical: 37 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet, 8 inches

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good overall size. Pushes hard upfield to sell the deep ball and put defender in defensive posture. Good leaper who uses his size and spring to go up and get the ball. Strong enough to grind out yards after the catch with his size. Effective special teams cover man during his time at Ole Miss with 18 tackles. Able-bodied blocker.

WEAKNESSES

Hands are just average. Allows ball into his frame and doesn't snatch it with strength. Not a sudden, athletic receiver and takes awhile to get into and out of his breaks. Below average acceleration. Runs rounded, sloppy routes and has issues adjusting them in space.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 5 or 6

SOURCES TELL US

"He will really grow on you. He wants it. I didn't love the tape at first, but the more you work with him the more you see how he can become an NFL player." -- NFL wide receivers coach

BOTTOM LINE

Played his best football this season. Had his best output against Alabama and then in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma State. Core has desired size, but could struggle to find separation against NFL cornerbacks. If he can pick back up with the special teams coverage ability he showed at Ole Miss, he gives himself a better chance to stick around.

RELATED LINKS

It's just a guy that if he gets a chance and wants it, he has enough physically to do it. Not a bad pick.  Glad to see the Bengals are realistic about their roster.  Can we release Tate this year or what?   I'd love to know the magic elixir he rubs in every morning to keep his job.

I think that sucks as well, but I'm not sure I'm completely sold on it heading into this year.
I'm of the mindset that if either Alford (who it was said was working on returns) or Boyd show they can give what Tate has given, they might be more inclined to move on.
In the past, they didn't feel comfortable and said the other options just weren't solid enough.
It's a wait and see thing in my book.

There's going to be a scrum for Special Teams only roles.     Tate got his game day spot as primary KR because Sanu and Jones had such strong roles in the offense.

Now that's unsettled.    I don't think Tate will win a spot as WR role.    If the Bengals can't find 2 WR to fill the Sanu/Jones role and that grows to 3, that's trouble for Tate.

Also prior to knee injury Wright was a great gunner for LSU.   Alford runs sub 4.4.   They just added sub 4.4 corner.   Then there's Hewitt and Burkhead.

If a combination of these guys push for active game day roles as apart of the offensive/defensive gameplan it's going to effect the Special team's only roles that Tate and Peerman have had.