4th Round: Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

HoosierCat

No many, if any people have talked about the deep nature of the DT class and that being the reason Billings fell.   There were like 13 DTs taken through 3 rounds and the Alabama boys were exclusively thought to be first rounders got pushed down to the 2nd.    When that happens unless you have team's willing to double dip early at position group you can gamble and wait.

Wonder if that's what the Bengals did at the end of 3? 

That is certainly an interesting question.
I was more curious if they truly had Vigil as the higher rated of the two or if that was a "need" pick.
With the consensus being that Billings was a top 40 talent, I have a hard time thinking they felt Vigil was the better pro prospect.

When you hear player comparisons of a college DT to Geno Atkins and Aaron Donald, you have to be intrigued if nothing else.
The guy is just stronger than your average bear and I think teaming him with Geno (in time) is going to be huge for the defense.
This is certainly one area I hope to see a player push a starter for playing time.

No disrespect to Peko, because I really like him and think he allows them to bring Billings along in a much longer season than in college.

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked and looked in regards to tying him into anything and this is all I found.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock reported Billings' drop had nothing to do with an injury or off-the-field concerns.
Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis pointed to Billings' lack of height at 6-1.