1st Round: William Jackson, CB, Houston

HoosierCat

22 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

How old is PacMan again ??  Yeah, while I like that he's back, he's not aging in reverse.

All true.  PacMan could go down with a knee or something at any time.  He's been durable as hell, but that only lasts until suddenly it doesn't.  

Good to see you back here Army.  I'm starting to come around on this pick.  My major disappointment wasn't the kid, who I hardly know anything about.  It was how Lucy pulled the football away just as my leg was swinging.  Had my heart set on a great new toy on offense, then 3 picks right in front of us pull the last 3 really good receivers.  When does that ever happen?  3 picks in a row were receivers, and there we are, sitting there waiting for a receiver.

Then on top of that they pick a corner.  3 out of our last 4 1st rounders have now been corners.  We should have the market cornered on corners.  As regards to our corner depth, we've turned a corner.  Shall I go on?  

Nice write up from Boiman:

The picture you see is a snap shot of my game board for the Oct. 8, 2015 game I called for ESPNU, SMU at Houston.  As you can see, at the time these were the things that stuck out to me about William Jackson III: 1.) great speed and 2.) long arms (31 3/4")...comparable to Richard Sherman.  You also see the note: "potential first".  I think this sums up Jackson and the selection the Bengals made at this particular junction.

Jackson is a guy who has the traits you cannot teach: 4.3 speed and the length that is so hard to find in NFL cornerbacks.  "Length" means both the 6'0" height AND the long arms that allow him still make a play on a ball in the air even if there is a bit of separation between he and the wide receiver.  Again, guys with this combination of speed and body type are not growing on trees out there, in fact there are very few that have the union of these two critically important traits.

However the feel I got talking to Houston head coach Tom Herman and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando the day before the game was that Jackson had a tremendous skill set and tremendous potential however didn't quite feel he had "arrived" yet.  He was a genetic freak and hard worker who hadn't quite figured out all the dynamics of playing the position.  One thing that really stood out that DC Todd Orlando said at the time was: "we still have to convince him that he's an elite guy."  Now this is not a knock at all, rather a coach mildly frustrated (coaches are ALWAYS frustrated) that the light hadn't clicked on all the way for this kid who has such a high skill level and desire to be great.  

I have to admit, in the game versus SMU that Thursday night, he didn't play particularly well.  One play that I remember criticizing him on was a redzone play where he allowed the WR to have too much cushion into the end zone.  He played too far off and the WR, essentially once he established himself in the end zone, just turned around and caught the ball for a touchdown.  This immediately hit me with the "potential first" label he had...he simply didn't account for where he was on the field.  You can have cushion out in the field, but around the goalline that cushion has to be negligible because a catch is a score.  This understanding of the particulars of the position and of the nuances of the game in general will be the attainable challenge for Jackson.

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/rocky-boiman-56240/so-what-kind-of-player-is-14661476/

6 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

His highlight films look impressive, but that is what they are supposed to look like.  It would be nice if someone would start making low light films of the top 40-50 draft prospects each year.  I think that would tell more about a player.

If you type "*player name* vs" in YouTube you can usually watch several games highlighting snaps where your player is on the field. WJIII has a good game vs FSU here where he gets burned several times early but then comes up with some really big play, including icing the game with a nice pick.

EDIT: wanted to note his tackling form is inconsistent and he tends to deliver big hits with the crown of his helmet. Gonna have to put a stop to that.

And finally, if you want to watch him play the Bearcats at PBS it starts at 228 on this video. Around the 323 mark he gets called for PI in the red zone so he's got that down...also appears to be the king of the shoulder/horsecollar tackle. Gonna have to work on that.

• 1 month later...