1st Round: William Jackson, CB, Houston

HoosierCat

The Bengals first round pick is: CB Will Jackson

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/william-jackson%20iii?id=2555179

Jackson started his career at Trinity Valley Junior College, and found himself a regular starter by the end of his first year with the Cougars in 2013. He stepped up his game as a junior to become a second-team American Athletic Conference pick (two interceptions, 10 pass breakups), ranking among the national leaders in pass breakups before suffering a sprained MCL late in the year. Jackson tweaked a knee during 2015, but started 12 of 13 games, again was named second-team all-conference and finished with five interceptions and 23 pass breakups, leading the nation in passes defended. 

PRO DAY RESULTS

20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds 
3-cone: 6.86 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.

WEAKNESSES

Average play strength and isn't as physical from press coverage as he could be. Might be knocked around by big NFL receivers if he's asked to press. Will get upright when transitioning from backpedal. Shows momentary delay when opening to run which can put him behind in footrace with speedy receivers. Tape shows instance of him getting knocked off balance at the top of the route. Will get hung up on perimeter blocks and isn't aggressive in run support. Too willing to run around block in support against screens. Was flagged seven times for 73 yards.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 1 or 2

NFL COMPARISON

Phillip Gaines

BOTTOM LINE

Tall cornerbacks with length who can run and play the football are usually in high demand and that could be the case for Jackson as well. While he has the traits for the position, the league is turning into small and fast or big and strong at the receiver spot and handling those two elements could take a year or two for him to improve in before he becomes a full-­time starter.

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A JUCO transfer, Jackson became a full-time starter at Houston in 2014 as a junior and led the team with 12 passes defended, adding 37 tackles and two interceptions. 

The 2016 class of senior cornerbacks appears to be an underwhelming group at initial glance, but a senior corner who stands out in a good way is Jackson, who will be an attractive prospect due to his NFL ingredients.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: At the next level, scouts and coaches covet speed at the position, but teams also want size and length to better match-up with the physical pass-catchers in the NFL. Jackson is a good-sized athlete for the position with an aggressive attitude that serves him well, doing a lot of wide receiver-like things at the catch point. 

Brackets receivers against the sideline with terrific instincts and coverage sense to take away short passes and not get beat deep. He looks comfortable in either press-man or off-man. Balanced off the snap and extends his hands to jam in press-man coverage. Quick out of his stance to shadow routes, reading the receiver to sense throws and get his head turned to react accordingly.

WEAKNESSES: Does he have the short-area agility to hold up vs. the quick pass-catchers at the next level? NFL scouts will keep their eyes trained on his transition technique during pre-draft workouts.

He will find himself off-balance in press and needs to refine his technique, anticipation and route recognition to eliminate false steps. Has some hip tightness. Allows receivers to drive him off the route with hard-stops or physical push-offs. Needs to better anticipate routes and improve his spatial awareness to close gaps at the stem. Lacks a second gear to recover if the receiver gains a step late vertically. Will panic and get grabby at times, attracting obvious penalties. Needs to better square up his targets as a tackler.

IN OUR VIEW: His body type, arm length and physicality at the catch point are why Jackson might be the first senior corner drafted. Projects as a day two pick.

--Dane Brugler (2/10/16)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984302/william-jackson-iii

Eric Edholm 
By Eric EdholmApr 7, 2016 4:36 PMShutdown Corner

Shutdown Corner counted down the top 50 prospects in the 2016 NFL draft with a scouting report, quotes from NFL evaluators and a projection where they might be drafted.

26. Houston CB-S William Jackson III
6-foot-0, 189 pounds

Key stat: Led NCAA and set school record for pass breakups in 2015 with an incredible 23. Also added five interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns.

[Follow Yahoo Sports draft expert Eric Edholm on Facebook and Twitter]

The skinny: Long-armed, press- or off-man cover corner who likely projects to playing on the outside in the NFL. After a year at junior college as a non-qualifier out of high school, Jackson joined the Cougars and started for parts of the past three seasons as one of the more productive defensive backs in the country in terms of breaking up passes. He put himself on the map this past season with a great individual effort in Houston's incredible year. 

That momentum stalled, however, down the stretch. Jackson suffered an MCL injury against Cincinnati, didn't play in the Memphis game and was used sparingly against Navy (didn't start; zero tackles) two games later because of its run-heavy attack. Jackson was the Peach Bowl MVP in the win over Florida State, but he later pulled out of the Senior Bowl because of the knee and was unable to complete the NFL scouting combine workout because of cramping. Jackson finished those tests at his pro day, and he fared well.

Best-suited destination: Teams seeking long man corners are going to love Jackson's skills. He also projects as an outside corner, and he appears to work best against the taller, more vertical receivers, and that's not an assignment every corner can handle. Teams such as the New York JetsKansas City ChiefsDetroit LionsSeattle SeahawksMinnesota VikingsLos Angeles RamsArizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans might be good fits for Jackson.

Upside: The need for longer corners is high, and more teams are playing man coverage in the league these days. He can press, flip his hips and run, with great makeup speed. Of all the top corners this year, especially with Florida State's Jalen Ramsey and Clemson's Mackensie Alexander, there's shockingly little ball production, but that's not Jackson's issue. He's a playmaker, something that often translates well to the NFL.

Downside: Jackson is a gambler who can be beaten on double moves, and he's not an NFL-grade tackler yet. Plus, smaller, quicker receivers have given him fits, so he might be pigeonholed into a specific role in the NFL in a man-heavier scheme, which might eliminate a few teams, even if they feel they need a cornerback. Some clubs have high grades on him, but there's a wide range of opinions on Jackson in NFL circles.

Scouting hot take: "I see why you like him, but you have to look at the big picture there. We drafted a kid similar to him a few years ago, and it took him a year, really two years, to figure it out. I wouldn't be counting on [Jackson] starting Day 1.” — AFC college scouting director

Player compTrae Waynes

Expected draft range: Early second round

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-profile--houston-cb-william-jackson-iii--a-true-ballhawk-203608328.html

16 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:
Eric Edholm 
By Eric EdholmApr 7, 2016 4:36 PMShutdown Corner

Shutdown Corner counted down the top 50 prospects in the 2016 NFL draft with a scouting report, quotes from NFL evaluators and a projection where they might be drafted.

26. Houston CB-S William Jackson III
6-foot-0, 189 pounds

Key stat: Led NCAA and set school record for pass breakups in 2015 with an incredible 23. Also added five interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns.

[Follow Yahoo Sports draft expert Eric Edholm on Facebook and Twitter]

The skinny: Long-armed, press- or off-man cover corner who likely projects to playing on the outside in the NFL. After a year at junior college as a non-qualifier out of high school, Jackson joined the Cougars and started for parts of the past three seasons as one of the more productive defensive backs in the country in terms of breaking up passes. He put himself on the map this past season with a great individual effort in Houston's incredible year. 

That momentum stalled, however, down the stretch. Jackson suffered an MCL injury against Cincinnati, didn't play in the Memphis game and was used sparingly against Navy (didn't start; zero tackles) two games later because of its run-heavy attack. Jackson was the Peach Bowl MVP in the win over Florida State, but he later pulled out of the Senior Bowl because of the knee and was unable to complete the NFL scouting combine workout because of cramping. Jackson finished those tests at his pro day, and he fared well.

Best-suited destination: Teams seeking long man corners are going to love Jackson's skills. He also projects as an outside corner, and he appears to work best against the taller, more vertical receivers, and that's not an assignment every corner can handle. Teams such as the New York JetsKansas City ChiefsDetroit LionsSeattle SeahawksMinnesota VikingsLos Angeles RamsArizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans might be good fits for Jackson.

Upside: The need for longer corners is high, and more teams are playing man coverage in the league these days. He can press, flip his hips and run, with great makeup speed. Of all the top corners this year, especially with Florida State's Jalen Ramsey and Clemson's Mackensie Alexander, there's shockingly little ball production, but that's not Jackson's issue. He's a playmaker, something that often translates well to the NFL.

Downside: Jackson is a gambler who can be beaten on double moves, and he's not an NFL-grade tackler yet. Plus, smaller, quicker receivers have given him fits, so he might be pigeonholed into a specific role in the NFL in a man-heavier scheme, which might eliminate a few teams, even if they feel they need a cornerback. Some clubs have high grades on him, but there's a wide range of opinions on Jackson in NFL circles.

Scouting hot take: "I see why you like him, but you have to look at the big picture there. We drafted a kid similar to him a few years ago, and it took him a year, really two years, to figure it out. I wouldn't be counting on [Jackson] starting Day 1.” — AFC college scouting director

Player compTrae Waynes

Expected draft range: Early second round

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-profile--houston-cb-william-jackson-iii--a-true-ballhawk-203608328.html

This is the issue not an NFL tackler, NY a reach. Might have been there in r2.

Really disappointed. SO much talent there and they go at 24. Dammit. Not a happy camper at this point. 

Guy better show up and make a big impression. Can only hope. 

NADS. 

Wasn't going to be there in the second. Some mocks had him going as high as 10. If you hit the CBS link all five had him going to Oakland at 14 or Pitt at 25. Solid value and can be argued BPA. That all said, the situation at WR only got worse.

In a rare development in Cincy, Marvin Lewis promises he will actually play the team's first round pick in his rookie year.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis promptly said Jackson is going to be on the active 46-man roster each Sunday. He's an outside corner rather than a slot corner. Guenther calls him the cornerback with the biggest upside in the draft.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-go-down-on-the-corner-again-with-Jackson/8cf1fa54-75f6-4952-8374-6c39bfbe9986

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Wasn't going to be there in the second. Some mocks had him going as high as 10. If you hit the CBS link all five had him going to Oakland at 14 or Pitt at 25. Solid value and can be argued BPA. That all said, the situation at WR only got worse.

Yeah I don't mind pick just cornerback is a position we've already invested so much in too,but guess suits the bengals style they don't plan on starting him and it's a premium position...really wish they could have traded up some for WR hopefully they find a gem in the next few rounds.

ps,no doubt he's active game day CB they run with what four or five typically?

question him being a starter this year but sure he will get play in Nicole and dime formations 

I am warming up to the pick.  The Bengals stayed true to their board (if you have taken Myles Jack off of it due to concerns about the knee).  I personally would have liked to see a DT but only guess the thought is...there are some many good ones left that you can afford to wait.  Today will dictate, in my opinion, whether this is a successful draft.   Pulling hard for Sterling Shepard in the second.

Color me crazy happy with this pick.  Here's my thoughts.

#1. No one thought the WR well was going to be dry by #24.
      Had I thought that, I would have had CB as the pick and would have guessed Eli Apple.  Boy he went early.
#2. I actually had Jackson as the 2nd best CB as a top 15 talent for sure and thought he would be gone prior to our pick.
#3. Hall is gone leaving Jones, Kirkpatrick (FA next year), Dennard (coming off injury), and Shaw (maybe a better safety). 
      Then what ??  Lewis- Harris and Chykie Brown.  Yuck...
#4. You can never have enough CB's and have no reason to doubt Duke Tobin and others when it comes to the draft recently.

I suppose one could argue about talent still on the board, but they obviously didn't feel those guys were a fit or that they were comfortable with medical checks.
I thought we might take a shot at Myles Jack at that point, but again, I won't argue with who I felt was the highest rated played left at a position of need.
The other direction I could have seen them going in was DT with both the Alabama DT's on the board, but it's a deep DT class.

Again, I think it was a very solid pick I'm happy with.

I tend to agree Army.  Cant say I'm thrilled with the pick, but the way the draft played out he is a solid player at a position of need going into the draft.  The Alabama DT must have some issues that the talking heads do not see, since they both are still on the board.

I was hoping that Treadwell would fall to us, if the Browns had not picked Coleman early he would have.

WR in round 2 or 3 will be a solid prospect, lots of potential in the next level of WO's.  The top end was lacking but there are a lot of 2-3 round guys.  I think Fuller was drafted way high, with the stone hands he displays at times.

Braxton Miller would fill the hole Sanu leaves as the all around talent.  He might still be there in round 3, so DT in round two and WR in 3 is still OK with me.

the .com has nearly filled it's boxer with man-yoghurt over this pick, however Jackson was the 4th CB taken - three other teams deemed others players better then him so I can't jump on the bandwagon and go along with "wow, did we really manage to draft HIM".

Possibly BPA if they are eyeing coverage behind Hall and Pacman .....otherwise DTs Kenny Clark and Rob Nkemdiche were still available.

Now, if we would have shored up the WR corps with another FA starter I would have been a whole lot happier with Jacksons pick.

I'm not a fan of 1st rounders NOT playing straight away, 1st rounders should not be developmental projects - that's the way of the 5th, 6th, 7th round guys - so I'm hoping Jackson has what it takes to see plenty o' action this season

14 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

the .com has nearly filled it's boxer with man-yoghurt over this pick, however Jackson was the 4th CB taken - three other teams deemed others players better then him so I can't jump on the bandwagon and go along with "wow, did we really manage to draft HIM".

Possibly BPA if they are eyeing coverage behind Hall and Pacman .....otherwise DTs Kenny Clark and Rob Nkemdiche were still available.

Now, if we would have shored up the WR corps with another FA starter I would have been a whole lot happier with Jacksons pick.

I'm not a fan of 1st rounders NOT playing straight away, 1st rounders should not be developmental projects - that's the way of the 5th, 6th, 7th round guys - so I'm hoping Jackson has what it takes to see plenty o' action this season

Bengals first round picks aren't projects or development projects.   I believe it's a situation of them facing competition and often times not being good enough to beat out veterans playing at a good level and having to earn their role.      

The easiest spot to get playing time on paper is WR.   All 4 were gone.    Top Center gone.    After that, these DTs, DEs, aren't walking in sending starters or their vet backs ups to the bench. 

The DTs still on the board, as well as Myles Jack sitting there, has me baffled. Jones, Kirk, Dennard, Shaw all are fully capable of in that group makes this pick a total luxury pick. Kind of like Taking 2 OTs last year. Just not happy. DT, DE & LB a far more gaping need, IMHO. 

Clearly the kid is very talented, maybe even more than Dennard or Kirk. With tthe top WR gone, maybe they just went by their rankings and are bummed as we are... I'm not sure any of us would have been upset had they jumped up and gotten doctson or Coleman. I wouldn't have. Are there other WR prospects, yes but not that are in that upper tier. Plenty of CBs who can come in for depth and compete. Dalton needs weapons, I don't not want to hear the dot Com blathering about using RBs in the slot., or this was their plan all along. 

Well, Willy is a Bengal now. Welcome to the 'Nati. Bring it! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

And Marvin has a desire to make sure that the young guys are fed into the NFL slowly.  He has historically spoon fed his rookies playing time slowly over the course of their first year.

Yep.    As long as they are making playoffs and drafting in the 20s it's going to be hard (not impossible) for a rookie to walk in and be considered an impact player.   They need to get on board with the Marvin program or have injuries to speed up the process.

18 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

The DTs still on the board, as well as Myles Jack sitting there, has me baffled. Jones, Kirk, Dennard, Shaw all are fully capable of in that group makes this pick a total luxury pick. Kind of like Taking 2 OTs last year. Just not happy. DT, DE & LB a far more gaping need, IMHO. 

I hear ya, but it's clear the Bengals have come to focus exclusively on three things in the first round: pass-catchers (WR or TE), offensive linemen (usually OT) and corners. They have not used a first-round pick on a player not in that group since 2008 (Rivers) and only four times overall in the Marvin era (Palmer, Perry, Pollack and Rivers). 

And of the latter group, all but Palmer were busts. In the now-preferred group, the only two real misfires were Gresham and Moobs, and even those were better than Perry, Pollack or Rivers. I would have loved one of the top WRs here, but they were gone and if history is a guide Jackson will prosper.

Looks like all of those guys will get an opportunity to step up now, RBB. Let's hope one of them does.

Today's fun fact quiz:Jackson is the 13th player from Houston drafted in the first round. Of those other 12, two were also drafted by the Bengals.Can you name them? If not, see the chart here: http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042816aad.html

1 hour ago, Scottishbengal said:

However Jackson was the 4th CB taken - three other teams deemed others players better then him so I can't jump on the bandwagon and go along with "wow, did we really

Ramsey was considered a safety by all accounts and most had Jackson rated higher than Eli Apple.  Hargreaves was my #1 followed by Jackson.
It would appear I wasn't far off on my thought process, but again, each team has their own thoughts along with considering best fit.

There probably wasn't a single player available that would have started over the guys we already have in place.
Could they play more than what Jackson will ??  Maybe, maybe not.  Again the depth of the CB this year and more importantly, in coming years is suspect at best.
Lets also not pretend that Kirkpatrick is the 2nd coming and Dennard has already made it to the pro bowl in seasons past.
How old is PacMan again ??  Yeah, while I like that he's back, he's not aging in reverse.