Off Season Wishlists

Wraith

The Bengals have a critical off season ahead with 11 pending free agents.  They have the money to sign some but not all.  Here is my preference with my first take at the draft in April.

Resign:

George Iloka (5 years 20 million), Mohamed Sanu (4 years 17.5 million - more versatile than Jones and will command less money, always comes up big on 3rd down), Adam Jones (3 years 12 million), Wallace Gilberry (4 years 10 million), Viinnie Rey (3 years 9 million), Pat Sims (2 years 4 million)

Let Walk:

Leon Hall (needs to retire but will latch on to Minnesota with Terrance Newman for one last ride), Reggie Nelson (Going to demand more than he is worth on the backside of 30), Marvin Jones (going to demand too much money on the open market and his skill set can be replaced, it is my belief that due to the lack of great FA WRs this year someone is going to throw a ton of money at Marvin and he is going to disappoint), Emmanuel Lemur (never lived up to expectations), Brandon Thompson (Sims out-played him), Brandon Tate (Please let this be the year!), Andre Smith (overweight, under achiever....no chance they sign Moobs after devoting two top draft picks on tackles last year).

Retired:

Eric Winston (should go into coaching)

Free Agent acquisition:

Danny Trevathan, ILB, Denver Broncos.  (5 Years 30 Million)

Draft:

1st (24): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

2nd (55) Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, USC

3rd (87) Nick Martin, OC, Notre Dame

4th (X) Cayleb Jones, WR, Arizona

5th (X) Deiondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa

6th (X) Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi

7th (X) Marshall Morgan, K, Georgia

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The Bengals have a critical off season ahead with 11 pending free agents.  They have the money to sign some but not all.  Here is my preference with my first take at the draft in April.

Resign:

George Iloka (5 years 20 million), Mohamed Sanu (4 years 17.5 million - more versatile than Jones and will command less money, always comes up big on 3rd down), Adam Jones (3 years 12 million), Wallace Gilberry (4 years 10 million), Viinnie Rey (3 years 9 million), Pat Sims (2 years 4 million)

Let Walk:

Leon Hall (needs to retire but will latch on to Minnesota with Terrance Newman for one last ride), Reggie Nelson (Going to demand more than he is worth on the backside of 30), Marvin Jones (going to demand too much money on the open market and his skill set can be replaced, it is my belief that due to the lack of great FA WRs this year someone is going to throw a ton of money at Marvin and he is going to disappoint), Emmanuel Lemur (never lived up to expectations), Brandon Thompson (Sims out-played him), Brandon Tate (Please let this be the year!), Andre Smith (overweight, under achiever....no chance they sign Moobs after devoting two top draft picks on tackles last year).

Retired:

Eric Winston (should go into coaching)

Free Agent acquisition:

Draft:

1st (24): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

2nd (55) Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, USC

3rd (87) Nick Martin, OC, Notre Dame

4th (X) Cayleb Jones, WR, Arizona

5th (X) Delondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa

6th (X) Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi

7th (X) Marshall Morgan, K, Georgia

OK I guess but I see no need for 2 WR's, one of which will not make the cuts anyway.  Got to use the 6th for a S and I'm happy.

On 2/8/2016, 11:46:42, Wraith said:

Free Agent acquisition:

Geoff Hobson crushes Wraith's hopes.

If they do sign a free agent from another team, it will probably be late and a guy that was cut and not an unrestricted free agent (UFA). That’s so they don’t harm themselves in the UFA compensation formula that awards draft picks. For instance, they’re looking at an extra fifth or sixth-round pick this April since they lost backup tackle Marshall Newhouse to the Giants last season but didn’t sign a UFA to offset it. Michael Johnson was released.

Yup, let's not make the team better because it might mean we don't get a late round pick in 2017. :confused: Never change, Bengals, never change...

Every time I watch the Broncos Trevathan is always around the ball, since Denver is in a state of flux and since they will be tying up lots of resources signing Von Miller he might be able to be pried loose.  It isn't an off-season breaker if they sign no free agents this year but Trevathan will make this the best D in the League in my opinion and he is only 25 years old.

I agree the time is now, they have made the playoffs many years in a row, that streak will not last forever. Sign players that will help get over the hump, even if that means signing FA. The Broncos did, and it helped them win a Super Bowl. 

However like Hobson always says, it will never happen, and it very frustrating

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016 at 1:33 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Maybe we get to see PJ Dawson on the field in the starters role.
I'm a bit curious how they say he's struggled with picking up the NFL game, but in the preseason he was so instinctive (according to the coaches) they couldn't believe it.

right they put him up on a pedestal. yet the game ray got hurt they put him out there only to yank him after a couple plays.