Zampese to OC, Jim Haslett Hired as LB Coach

HoosierCat

Both Coyle and Jacob Burney, who they hired to coach the d line, have been position coaches here for Marvin before.  

Burney was the o line coach, though, I think.  

Marvin's been here so long that even when he goes outside the organization he stays within the organization.  I like it because continuity seems to be more and more important these days.

The new qb coach, Bill Lazor, was very impressed that on his first day at the facility Dalton came in and spent hours with him going over the playbook.

9 hours ago, COB said:

Both Coyle and Jacob Burney, who they hired to coach the d line, have been position coaches here for Marvin before.  

Burney was the o line coach, though, I think.  

Marvin's been here so long that even when he goes outside the organization he stays within the organization.  I like it because continuity seems to be more and more important these days.

The new qb coach, Bill Lazor, was very impressed that on his first day at the facility Dalton came in and spent hours with him going over the playbook.

Burney has never coached in Cincy before.

Nope, Paul "Iron Rice Bowl" Alexander will never go away. His zombie corpse will probably still be coaching in Cincy 100 years from now.

But that said I have no real problem with the turnover this year. We knew Hue was leaving and if Zampese is (possibly) an uninspired choice, it isn't as if he'd proven himself to be a QB Whisperer or anything. I've been hoping for a new QB coach for years, so I'm all in favor of Lazor, sight unseen.

On the defensive side, again we knew Joseph was leaving.He would have been gone last year if the FO hadn't blocked him. That he took Burke with him isn't unusual. The same thing almost happened last year with Zim wanting Gunther to come to MInny. This is what happens to good teams, they get raided.

As for Hayes, it is/was past time for both of the Hayes sisters to go. At least one is gone, finally. Unfortunately it's the one I would rather have kept if given a choice. Oh well, like I said, this is what happens to good teams.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Nope, Paul "Iron Rice Bowl" Alexander will never go away. His zombie corpse will probably still be coaching in Cincy 100 years from now.

But that said I have no real problem with the turnover this year. We knew Hue was leaving and if Zampese is (possibly) an uninspired choice, it isn't as if he'd proven himself to be a QB Whisperer or anything. I've been hoping for a new QB coach for years, so I'm all in favor of Lazor, sight unseen.

On the defensive side, again we knew Joseph was leaving.He would have been gone last year if the FO hadn't blocked him. That he took Burke with him isn't unusual. The same thing almost happened last year with Zim wanting Gunther to come to MInny. This is what happens to good teams, they get raided.

As for Hayes, it is/was past time for both of the Hayes sisters to go. At least one is gone, finally. Unfortunately it's the one I would rather have kept if given a choice. Oh well, like I said, this is what happens to good teams.

"Weekend at Bernie's (Paul's)"

3 hours ago, volcom69 said:

I feel they will never get rid of Alexander. How long has he been here since the 90's.

Crazy though I listen to Sirius NFL radio sometimes and Pat Kerwin says he's one of the best o-line coaches out there. 

Still waiting for him to develop a late draft pick,

• 10 months later...
On 1/15/2016 at 0:08 PM, cincyhokie said:

Jeeeeezusssss!!!!!!   Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Ive met the guy.  He is a stiff!  Complete opposite of Hue Jackson.  Total yes man.

I'd rather have Bratowski.  Dead.  Effing.  Serious.  

This is a horrible hiring.  Horrible.    

Props to hokie, regarding Zampese he hit the nail on the head.

Dehner has a great breakdown of Zampese fourth quarter follies today. tl;dr version: the 2016 Bengals have the worst fourth quarter scoring drive performance possibly in team history (he only looked back to 1999). Money quote:

Who does this statistic fall on? Most every aspect of this offense is similar to the previous five seasons: quarterback, head coach, even with A.J. Green missing games lately, he played the majority of these drives. Sure, a young group of receivers, six weeks without Tyler Eifert and the revolving door at right tackle have a significant hand in the matter and deserve criticism.

Inevitably, all things trace back to the offensive coordinator. At some point in the most critical moments, you have to dial up a play that flips momentum for a touchdown and changes the game. In the United States this year, Ken Zampese hasn't done it once.

Often numbers can be yanked around to fit your narrative, but there's no hiding from these. They are cut are dry. Those are 23 drives in the fourth quarter/overtime of one possession games. The Bengals were historically awful.

• Like 1

There's not one good reason to keep Zampese after the debacle that is the 2016 season. If you can go back to the dark corner of the lost decade and see you exceeded that level of ineffectiveness, it's safe to say you've failed and should be replaced. 

Maybe this is a chance to set up the Marvin retires, head coach in waiting parlay... Kyle Shanahan, Edgar Bennett (Green Bay), Darrell Bevell (Seattle). 

They need someone who brings a fresh view. Not another flunkie, yes-man. 

I still can't believe we would have to put up another year of this shit! 

Seriously if nobody is fired after this year, it's going to be really hard to watch this team next year. I will for sure cancel my NFL game pass no need to listen to the same crap another year! 

Frustrating for sure! Coaches have to go

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

I still can't believe we would have to put up another year of this shit! 

Seriously if nobody is fired after this year, it's going to be really hard to watch this team next year. I will for sure cancel my NFL game pass no need to listen to the same crap another year! 

Frustrating for sure! Coaches have to go

Hey, hey, hey, come on now.  Mike had a hard time seeing what getting fired did to his dad.  So coaches shouldn't be fired.  Just honor their contract and it shows how honorable you are.  Mike doesn't want to see anyone suffer the way his dad suffered, 54 FUCKING YEARS AGO!!!

• Like 1

Well, shit.  This seems to be a perfect storm of sorts.  

Team lets go of coaches.  Hires an entire shit staff to 3 year deals.

Team completely misses it's window because team emphasis is on "honoring contracts".

The Bengals are a perfect storm type of team.  Unfortunately, the past suggests those storms last...about 15 years. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, kingwilly said:

There's not one good reason to keep Zampese after the debacle that is the 2016 season. If you can go back to the dark corner of the lost decade and see you exceeded that level of ineffectiveness, it's safe to say you've failed and should be replaced. 

Maybe this is a chance to set up the Marvin retires, head coach in waiting parlay... Kyle Shanahan, Edgar Bennett (Green Bay), Darrell Bevell (Seattle). 

They need someone who brings a fresh view. Not another flunkie, yes-man. 

He'll be saved by the raft of injuries thrown up on offencive players - Eifert, Uzomah, Green, Bernard, Wright, et al

Zampese should be thrown to the wolves on the basis of inconsistency.    It's like the final years of Brat.     As a whole,  Yeah he's got a top 12 offense with injuries to key players and offensive line issues.    I can see that defense.     It always seemed like Brat had a similar defense.

However peal back the onion and there's a couple big problems.   Not getting points on the board they go from 12th in yardage to 23rd in points per game.    Then we know they've had a couple big yardage games, halfs, quarters and at the same time had games, halves, and quarters in which it seemed they were the worse offense in the league.

Nothing is ever completely fair in football when assigning blame but IF Marvin ain't takin the heat then give me Zamp and even though I've probably been more favorable to Alexander than your average Bengal fan,  give me his head too.   

• Like 1

I saw something on the tube about the Bengals 4th quarter offense.  It was like the worst in the league or something.  I can't recall the details but essentially they were horrible in the 4th quarter this year.  Need new coaches badly, but a long time ago someone got fired, had to go to San Diego and play golf for a couple years until he could get a new team, this time as the owner instead of just being the head coach, so we all get to suck bad coaching cock for one more fun year!  So great to see Pittsburgh kick us in the nuts every game and we respond with a Kevin Bacon/Animal House request of, "thank you sir, can I have another!"