2016 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

Sometimes quoting here is screwy. What I meant to say was condolences from me too. 

Walker was seriously injured after the dirt bike he was riding collided with a sport utility vehicle at an intersection in Miami at approximately 7:50 p.m. ET Thursday, the Miami-Dade Police Department stated in a news release. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami in critical condition after sustaining serious head injuries and spent all night in surgery, three sources told Rapoport. Walker died at 5 p.m. ET Friday, Butler told Rapoport.

Caught Hobson on the radio this weekend.   He seemed positive towards the LaFell and Dansby flirtations and that they would be Bengals.   At least that's me reading the tea leaves.

Basically with the draft on the horizon the FA market is slow and nobody is in a hurry do anything quickly like the first day of Free Agency.

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So, our big outside FA signing is still Taylor Mays, right?

And we re-signed a DT who'll start on PUP.

Good grief.

Eh, we got a couple of our own.  I agree it's not as exciting as getting some new blood in here, but they know the system and are proven commodities within that system.  

Losing Jones hurts, but to run out and spend huge money on a comparable player doesn't make sense.  When you're waiting for throws behind AJ, Eifert, and even Gio, how many looks are you even going to get?  According to Marvin Jones, not enough to justify a high level player in that slot.  

So off to the draft, off to the mid level free agent (LaFell), and we'll see how the offense falls off.  I think it will fall a bit, but not enough to justify the kind of cap space we'd use up on a Marvin Jones level guy.  If they get the right guy in the draft, LaFell could end up as Sanu's replacement, not Jones'.  I hope that turns out to be the case.

Edit:  Easier way to say it.

At some point Bengals will add or retain pieces.   These will largely be overlooked unheralded when they happen.    Some will flop and some will be better than what anyone could have imagined.

At the end of the day when you are carving your Turkey the rest of the AFC North will have to deal with the Cincinnati Bengals. 

There are too many existing pieces on this team that will have to falter or regress for them not to be a factor. 

Now,  they've lost Primetime and Postseason games in so many ways that there isn't a Free Agent available that's realistically going to be able to solve that issue on paper at this point in the offseason or at the beginning of the offseason.  Quite frankly it doesn't matter what they add/retain this group of players/coaches/management doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt of gaining elite status and post season success until they actually do it.

Not sure if it's official but NFL.com has just put it up.   Bengals to sign Karlos Dansby.

This is a good outside add for the Bengals.   Assuming his skill and durability remains the same for 2016.    This gives the Bengals another 3 down LB (if they choose).

His game definitely fits the Bengals needs vs. the Steelers.   His pursuit and coverage will help close windows Ben has to throw into and allow our DBs to play more zone protecting the deep ball.   

If the Bengals can get Burfict and Dansby on the field together it's a good upgrade.

Rapoport claims Dansby will sign in Cincy today, we will see. I suspect he and LaFell are both doing a bit of fishing with this drawn-out courtship, hoping some other team will swoop in with a better offer. Fairly common practice with the Bengals and free agency. Hopefully it gets done. Dansby may be 35 but he would arguably be our best LB not named Burfict.

19 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Rapoport claims Dansby will sign in Cincy today, we will see. I suspect he and LaFell are both doing a bit of fishing with this drawn-out courtship, hoping some other team will swoop in with a better offer. Fairly common practice with the Bengals and free agency. Hopefully it gets done. Dansby may be 35 but he would arguably be our best LB not named Burfict.

His Wikipedia page already has him as a Cincinnati Bengal. That was quick.

PFF on Dansby to Cincy (which still isn't official):

What it means for Cincinnati: The 34-year-old Dansby provides a significant upgrade in coverage, where the Bengals had some issues at linebacker, particularly from 2015 snap-leader Vincent Rey (whom Cincinnati recently re-signed). Rey finished with the 83rd-ranked coverage grade out of 94 qualifying linebackers in 2015, while Dansby ranked sixth and has graded positively against the pass every season since PFF began grading games (2007). Opposing quarterbacks averaged a 65.3 passer rating on 47 throws into his coverage, the fourth-best mark at the position, while only two linebackers hauled in more interceptions than Dansby’s three.

His impact in run defense might be less noticeable, after seeing a sizeable dropoff there last season (75th-ranked run grade). Tackling was less of an issue (seven missed tackles, sixth-best tackling-efficiency rating among ILBs) than a decreased ability to shed blocks at the second level. Dansby maintained above-average grades there, however, for four straight seasons prior to 2015, so perhaps he’ll be closer to his average after a change in scenery