2016 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

Eh...I think you can make the case (and in fact our old pal derek is on twitter) that Marvin Jones made Dalton look good because his excellent ball tracking skills made up for Andy's questionable accuracy. Sanu OTOH already proved he wasn't a No. 2 in 2014. On balance I would like to keep him but won't be crushed if he ends up elsewhere, as seems likely.

The one downside of keeping Iloka (and I love that move) versus Jones is that it sends WR to the head of the line in the draft. Had they kept Jones and let Iloka go they have some depth to absorb the hit. But the WR corps is now paper-thin. Start scouting first round wideouts.

Some Iloka details from the enquirer:

The deal is for $30 million over five years, with $18 million coming to the strong safety in the first three seasons. That three-year total is only exceeded by the deal Donte Whitner signed in Cleveland in 2014. Iloka also checks in with more money in that period than Seattle gave Kam Chancellor and Miami gave Reshad Jones.

Props to the FO for stepping up with a top-dollar offer.

I'm thrilled to see Iloka back.  I love Reggie Nelson but I don't know how you keep him now.  I hope he gets a great deal in Minnesota.  Good move for Jones, he's got a good quarterback in Detroit to throw to him.  Still think he's too injury prone for a team to count on as a number 1 receiver, though. 

Kind of strange to see the Bengals signing first tier free agents, and doing it this early in the free agency window.  We're usually waiting until day 3 to hear, "remember that old dude who played at Ohio State 11 years ago?  He's a new Bengal!"  Good work by Pumpkin and Troy.  Or Marvin.  Or Mike.  Or whoever is running things at PBS. 

Where's the money avalanche that is going to scoop up the flesh avalanche and sweep him out of Cincinnati?  Andre Smith has to have some value, we always kind of took him for granted I felt.  Still, I'm surprised we haven't been hearing about teams expressing interest in him, making offers, etc.  He'll be a good starter for someone.  

27 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, FA doesn't officially start for a few hours. Most of the deals now are teams re-signing their own. Since the Bengals clearly aren't interested in Moobs anymore I wouldn't expect any news yet. Meanwhile...

Would love to see him go to the Giants.  Or the Falcons.  Or any NFC team.