2016 Bengals Free Agents

HoosierCat

The disparity between what you pay 2nd and 3rd contract vets, versus first contract guys under the new CBA = a new era when valuable, very competent, vets are going to get cut and be available in free agency.  Wake up, Bengals.  This is a scenario unlike what we've had in this league in the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, COB said:

Wake up, Bengals.  

This is what I tend to scream every single off season / FA period !!!

4 hours ago, TJJackson said:

so did Pacman

Would you have passed on Pacman when we brought him if you knew what what you know now about him?

Tough question because I don't know who we'd have gotten instead of Pacman.  If I had known how he would play these last 4 years or whatever it's been, I would definitely have brought him in.  

Pacman's troubles were, even when we brought him in, at least potentially in the past.

When Cromartie's wife gives birth to the twins she is currently gestating, he will have 12 children with 8 different women.  The Jets several years ago had to front him 500 grand to allow him to get current on his child support.  His troubles are not going away.  I loved his game back in '08 or whenever it was he was getting all those picks and running back 99 yarders.  He's 31 now so forget it.  

Who would Cromartie replace? Or are we looking at a pure addition to the roster?

Cromartie - 31 years old

Pacman - 32 years old

Hall - 31 years old

Chykie Brown - 29 years old

Lewis-Harris - 27 years old

Dre - 26 years old

Dennard - 24 years old

Shaw - 23 years old

I can't see either a salary cap or an age/longevity bonus here for the Bengals. Surely Hall, if re-signed, will be at a less than previous $9m/year salary.

Cromartie would replace Hall

I think Hall is done with football due to back issues - and if he isn't, he should be

Cromartie is not the star he once was, but I think he'll sign with a contender for 2-3 mil annually for 1-3 years, with the third being fairly unlikely; and I think at that price he'd provide a valuable veteran presence and also be the tall (he's 6'2") corner needed to cover receiving TEs

4 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Our window is closing, get the parts needed for this season and get it done now.

This is so true. It's been a hell of a run, but I'm starting to feel the window is closing a bit. The division is hard enough, and if Hue can actually get a QB and a team in Clevland that will make that much harder.

The Broncos had to do it, they went out in free agency and picked up guys who could help today. The bengals tend to use draft picks which is fine, but they are not ready today like some free agents will be. 

I agree the time is now, so do something 

• Like 1

On the topic of "Window".     The Bengal QBs produce 4,100 yards.   31 TDs and 9 Ints.    I'm sure that efficiency comes in around 100 rating.

Any team that gets that type of QB production without anything else will be in the hunt.

Additionally on defense Burfict and Atkins are playing at DPOY level.      Then you have Green among the top at his position.

Window is open and when you look at the Bengals situation vs. other AFC North rivals they are in the best position for the future too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

On the topic of "Window".     The Bengal QBs produce 4,100 yards.   31 TDs and 9 Ints.    I'm sure that efficiency comes in around 100 rating.

Any team that gets that type of QB production without anything else will be in the hunt.

Additionally on defense Burfict and Atkins are playing at DPOY level.      Then you have Green among the top at his position.

Window is open and when you look at the Bengals situation vs. other AFC North rivals they are in the best position for the future too.

I agree, unless they lose Pacman, Nelson, Illoka, Jones and Sanu, without replacing with as good or better players.

7 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I agree, unless they lose Pacman, Nelson, Illoka, Jones and Sanu, without replacing with as good or better players.

Agree and Bengal fans should riot if they lose that talent.  

I dont think they will strike out with the amount cap room they have.    Given the reports of draft WR prospects and Jefferies getting the tag.   Marvin Jones is my priority No. 1. 

50 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Cap set at a bit more than $155 million. Here are the franchise tag numbers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27/2016-franchise-and-transition-tag-numbers/

it would cost $10 million to franchise Iloka. So I guess I can write off that idea.

Maybe.  The cap is growing and there is over a billion cap dollars available.  Salary expectations must be adjusted upward. 

You'd think so but this is the Bengals we're talking about here. The only thing The Family is interested in adjusting upwards is its bank balance.

However, being the cynic I am, I could see a tag on Iloka as it would give the FO a ready excuse for not spending. With $10 million tied up in George, another $7 million reserved for draft picks they don't have to sign until July, $5 million or so reserved for an injury cushion they don't need until September at the earliest and a final, oh, $7 million or so held back to roll over to sign guys in 2017, nearly $30 million of their $38 million in cap space is spoken for, allegedly. Extend Hewitt and resign Vinny Rey and they're broke!